DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

This thread got me a free Roku. Oh wait that was one of the 7 other threads made about AMC. Must be a slow year at satellite guys as Charlie and Joe said nobody watches AMC. I do like their high quality repeats, ah ah um, I mean replacements.
Huh? Nothing new, just another post to the mega-thread.

He never said that. I see so many hanging their hats on this show, which gets fantastic viewership. But take a look at where AMC is at other some other times compared to USA or TNT etc.... AMC still has a way to go if they want the same money as those channels.
For the Year 2011 - Adults 18-49 (Note AMC did a little better with total viewership of any age) I also note AMC had a good increase over the 2010 year.
op 20 Cable Networks In Primetime: Adults 18-49 Rating (Viewers In Millions)/% difference from last year
1. USA 1.1 (1.210) -3%
2. ESPN 1.0 (1.102) -4%
3. TNT 0.8 (.950) -3%
4. TBS 0.8 (.898) -11%
5. History 0.8 (.892) +18%
6. FX 0.8 (.855) +21%
7. MTV 0.7 (.770) +22%
8. A&E 0.7 (.764) +8%
9. Discovery 0.6 (.680) +1%
10. ABC Family 0.6 (.678) +4%
11. Comedy Central 0.6 (.641) +5%
12. Bravo 0.5 (.582) +8%
13. Food Network 0.5 (.571) +1%
13. Syfy 0.5 (.571) +6%
15. Adult Swim 0.5 (.569) N.A.
16. TruTV 0.5 (.543) +1%
17. Disney Channel 0.5 (.529) -5%
18. TLC 0.5 (.525) -4%
19. AMC 0.4 (.469) +10%
20. Lifetime 0.4 (.460) -10%

The added viewers over last season of The Walking Dead is not going to change this much. In the weeks AMC shows Walking Dead they indeed are much higher in the rankings even near the top - except that is only for prime time. Even on a week when they are broadcasting that show, when they are near the top for prime time, the overall total day viewership drops back down. And although TBS has the Baseball playoffs, channels like A&E and TNT are between their hit shows during this week.This for the week ending just October 14th;
Total Day Average Viewers (Live+SD)

Network(000s)
TBSC1722
NICK1659
DSNY1650
FOXN1541
ADSM1264
USA1195
ESPN1141
TOON1035
NAN1016
TNT910
HIST827
A&E740
AMC707
HGTV696
FX680
DISC635
MSNB623
FOOD568
TVLD551
TLC542
SYFY524
ID515
LIFE511
CMDY510
FAM479

During the rest of the year, even with their other couple of shows that do well, they are not at the top even in prime time for the week. It's their overall content that's lacking, not that they don't have a few highly or higher watched shows.

Dish should not have said what they did, and did not handle this professionally and I said so way back. But what they said does have some truth to it, in light of AMC wanting the same money as the highest watched channels. Add to that the awful viewership for most of their other channels and Dish is not way off in what they are saying. Had there been no Voom dispute, I still say Dish would not have said those things, but very possibly might have had a carriage dispute with AMC anyway. The difference is it might not have been so nasty, and might have been negotiated by now.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...l-day-for-week-ending-october-14-2012/152995/

Last edited:
I certainly agree that AMC needs to have a few more shows out there to be considered relevant. It does seem odd though that so many say they can't find anything on AMC that they like. The hit shows that they do have or had seem to be quite different from each other and would seem to be interesting to most but of course not all. I mean Walking Dead would never be confused with Mad Men. With so many interesting and well written shows cancelled every year by the big Four you would think that AMC would jump at the chance to sign them for their own future broadcasts. 666 Park Ave. comes to mind because it was a bit edgy and off beat, and cancelled already. I'm sure we could all think of many recently cancelled shows that created a bit of a row when cancelled. It's not like AMC requires the same kind of numbers to be successful.

Last edited:
AMC has been pretty steady at #17 so far in 2012 among cable networks with audiences age 18-49. When original series like are in reruns or hiatus AMC is at #19 at best, at times #24. When in first run the network jumps to #16 most of the time, last week #15, sometimes #17. So one show (1 hour out of 169 a week) is carrying this network.

AMC has been pretty steady at #17 so far in 2012 among cable networks with audiences age 18-49. When original series like are in reruns or hiatus AMC is at #19 at best, at times #24. When in first run the network jumps to #16 most of the time, last week #15, sometimes #17. So one show (1 hour out of 169 a week) is carrying this network.

Yes, that's pretty much my point that you seemed to say in a fraction of the words I used :). I am not running AMC down by the way, they indeed have had a few very good shows, that also do well with ratings. I happen not to have liked most of them, but of course that's irrelevant. Fact is they can make shows that have appeal. But taken as a whole, they just do not have a network watched like some others and yet do want to be paid about the same.
Possibly if they pick up some network shows that were not renewed, that can work sometimes, or pick "newer" syndicated shows like the Mentalist and House that TNT and USA have picked up.

Last edited:
Tampa8 said:
Yes, that's pretty much my point that you seemed to say in a fraction of the words I used :). I am not running AMC down by the way, they indeed have had a few very good shows, that also do well with ratings. I happen not to have liked most of them, but of course that's irrelevant. Fact is they can make shows that have appeal. But taken as a whole, they just do not have a network watched like some others and yet do want to be paid about the same.

You don't know what they wish to be paid, I don't know what they want to be paid, none of us do.

As far as the networks you listed with the ratings, I was amazed at how little I watched them-

1. USA -only one show, Covert Affairs
2. ESPN -never
3. TNT -Falling Skies, Dallas
4. TBS -never
5. History -never
6. FX -Sons, American Horror Story
7. MTV -never
8. A&E -Longmire
9. Discovery -only if there is something good about Dinosaurs like Walking with
10. ABC Family -never
11. Comedy Central -South Park, Futurama
12. Bravo -never
13. Food Network -my wife loves this f'ing channel, I wish it would go away
13. Syfy -Warehouse 13
15. Adult Swim -never
16. TruTV -never
17. Disney Channel -never
18. TLC -never
19. AMC -Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, Walking Dead (but I never watch any movies on this or any other channel that has commercials)
20. Lifetime hell no

AMC also has a number of new shows they are working on-

Low Winter Sun - Based on the British series starring Mark Strong. It's a contemporary story of murder, deception, revenge and corruption in a world where the line between cops and criminals is blurred. Its writer, executive producer and showrunner is Chris Mundy. No premiere date has been announced yet. On May 3, 2012, AMC greenlit production on the pilot

Untitled Legal Thriller - Legal thriller with major political, personal and ethical stakes. It centers on a District Attorney who uncovers new evidence that prompts the reinvestigation of a sensational murder case. The series is an exploration of personal morality and how people struggle with the shades of grey found in the absence of a simple, ordered moral universe. Richard LaGravenese serves as writer, Tony Goldwyn as executive producer and Andrew Sugarman will serve as co-executive producer. AMC greenlit the pilot in May 3, 2012 along with Low Winter Sun.

Thunderstruck. - An original sci-fi series. A UFO crashes in a small town in Montana. The locals try to grasp the reality and prepare for more occurrences.

Sacred Games - Adapted from the India-set novel by Vikram Chandra. No premiere date announced yet.
Untitled Diamond Trade Drama - A drama set in the world of diamond trading executive produced by Ridley Scott and Tony Scott. No premiere date or official title announced yet.

How To Cheat On Your Wife - Comedy by Rob Roy Thomas starring Todd Stashwick, Steve Little, David Furr, and Seth Morris. No premiere date announced yet.

Thief of Thieves. - Based on the comics by The Walking Dead producer, Robert Kirkman. Chic Eglee will serve as showrunner. It is about a thief named Conrad Paulson who, while trying to reconcile with his estranged wife and son, realizes he's addicted to stealing; therefore, he decides to feed his addiction by stealing only what has been stolen.

Area 51 - Adapted from the best-selling book by Annie Jacobsen, Area 51 revolves around the staff of the mysterious military base.

Last edited:
DISH Drops AMC Networks

It's all about context, people are just spinning the ratings to suit their argument. There are going to be times of the year that any one of those channels are more important than even some of their networks. Many of these 'top' channels just have better syndication or more evergreen repeats as they just marathon their programming all day like NCIS resulting in a better average rating over a longer period.

Tent pole events are what are going to move the needle, gain PR and ultimately drive churn for DIsh while this drags on. Missing one show, not missing the other 160 or whatever hours they don't watch. If you can't watch what you want, and what everyone is talking about - like Walking Dead - that's what will hurt Dish in this dispute. Not the reruns and other programming in between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know why some people are bring up these rating. It doesn't matter at least to me what the total rating for a channel is over the whole day or specific time. I only watch a few shows total and the only channels out of all that Dish carry that I watch more then one show is Showtime(2), HBO(2) and AMC(4). This is even including the major networks like ABC, NBC etc. That's all that counts really for me. I could care less about reruns of shows which increase rating if they happen to be popular. I'm not really on either Dish or AMC's side but I don't think Dish dropped AMC because of low rating(maybe some of those other channels owned by AMC). I even read Charlie said he wouldn't have a problem with carrying AMC but only with the other 2-3 channels that were dropped.

It is true of pretty much every cable network... They only have a few shows with limited length season. USA network probably has the most shows, hence the highest ratings. That is why broadcast networks tend to trounce the ratings of cable networks. Yes some cable shows outdraw broadcast, but broadcast has a lot more original programming that has 22 (or so) episode seasons.

A good example of a network doing pretty bad overall but having great ratings 13 weeks out of the year.
NFL Network

I agree AMC does need more content or less ads,perhaps both.

I don't know why some people are bring up these rating. It doesn't matter at least to me what the total rating for a channel is over the whole day or specific time.
Fine, but it matters greatly to those who pay for advertising, and to those who have to negotiate a contract for them which is what this thread is debating. It's what the whole system is based on, so I would call that quite important. Do I spend money to advertise on a channel that routinely has 1 million viewers, or on one that routinely has 250,000 viewers? And how much am I willing to pay. It's easy to spend advertising money during popular shows, but you need the information to see where to spend other times. And that also plays into how much Dish or Direct or Cable are willing to pay for the channel and how much a channels asks to be carried.
And when you compare your channel to one that has considerably more viewers over a week or month or year, and want the same money, but you have a hit show or maybe two or three, it all comes into play.

Last edited:
You don't know what they wish to be paid, I don't know what they want to be paid, none of us do.

Yes we do, it's why I bring it up. We may not know how much right now they wanted from Dish, but if you have been following, AMC themselves said they wanted three times what they now get, though not all this year. That would put them with the likes of USA for instance. That tells me they were not looking for modest increase, and by the way, AT&T also balked and for a short while they were off there. I suspect AMC could not afford to be off Dish and AT&T so a settlement was negotiated.
I will say it again. Had there been no Voom lawsuit I still think there would have been a standoff and AMC would have been off Dish over how much they are looking to get, and having to carry the other barely watched channels. The difference is I think the impasse would have been broken with an agreement.

Last edited:
I don't know why some people are bring up these rating. It doesn't matter at least to me what the total rating for a channel is over the whole day or specific time. I only watch a few shows total and the only channels out of all that Dish carry that I watch more then one show is Showtime(2), HBO(2) and AMC(4). This is even including the major networks like ABC, NBC etc.
Bingo. And, true for my household, as well.

It is true of pretty much every cable network... They only have a few shows with limited length season.
Bingo 2!

A good example of a network doing pretty bad overall but having great ratings 13 weeks out of the year.
NFL Network
Double secret bonus Bingo!

If you are hanging your hat of AMC competing with the NFL network, AMC is in big trouble. They tried saying that with the news channels, claiming they get less money in some cases yet the News channels generally have less viewers. Problem is, that's the way the News channels and the NFL work. Sometimes during big stories the News channels have lots of viewers. AMC needs to be like TNT and USA because that's their competition. Having alot of viewers just a few times is not competition.
As for having a few shows during the year, once again, the difference is the other channels manage alot more viewers at all various times with better programming. That's what AMC has to address.

Fine, but it matters greatly to those who pay for advertising, and to those who have to negotiate a contract for them which is what this thread is debating. It's what the whole system is based on, so I would call that quite important. Do I spend money to advertise on a channel that routinely has 1 million viewers, or on one that routinely has 250,000 viewers? And how much am I willing to pay. It's easy to spend advertising money during popular shows, but you need the information to see where to spend other times. And that also plays into how much Dish or Direct or Cable are willing to pay for the channel and how much a channels asks to be carried.
And when you compare your channel to one that has considerably more viewers over a week or month or year, and want the same money, but you have a hit show or maybe two or three, it all comes into play.

The TWD should make AMC a lot of money then. TWD is the most watched cable series ever with a higher rating for current series even including network shows(ABC, NBC etc) for the 18-49 age group which is most important for advertisers. I'm not sure but I would guess if you look at the original series on AMC compared to any of the other cable channels AMC would come on top or very close. Take TWD, BB, MM and HoW compared to any other cable channels 4 original series and I think AMC is on top. If you look at Dish or any other providers reason for carrying AMC it would also have to look at their mosted watch show and how many people would be upset if they didn't carry the channel. Take TWD and how popular it is would be important to providers without looking at the other shows. I know I'm waiting on switching from Directv to Dish for the Pac 12 Network but the only hold up is no AMC because TWD is my favorite show.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)