DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

IFC and Sundance used to be much better, showing independent and avant garde films that no one else had.

IFC and Sundance were two of my most-watched channels until the Dolans bought them. Now, IFC's repertoire of independent films has been exhausted and there is nothing left in the lineup worth watching. Sundance is a more recent purchase and still shows some good movies that were acquired when Robert Redford still owned the channel, but for the most part Sundance is becoming indistinguishable from all the other low-budget movie channels that clutter up the Program Guide. I miss the old IFC and the old Sundance; but I can live without the new versions.

Assuming even distribution if Dish is 15% of AMC's base and 6.5 million people watched the walking dead, one assumes at 15% of 6.5 million is 975k Dish subs. I was pointing out that the high ratings was for 6 episodes of 1 hour each. Most of the time a lot fewer Dish viewers are watching AMC. Dish can drop AMC and likely not suffer huge consequences - given that many are locked into contracts, plus many will not leave over just one channel (or 3 in this case). This dropping potentially costs AMC a lot more revenue than Dish, given that Dish also gets to pocket the $$ instead of paying it to AMC, helping make up for any subs that might leave.

Dish is also probably a lot less than 15% of the AMC base given that a lot of subs do not even get AMC.

I firmly believe Dish has run the numbers, and given that they have a lot of experience with dropping channels and knowing how many subs will actually leave, they know they will come out ahead. Especially if they can pressure a settlement in the VOOM dispute.

The average would be 6.45 million viewers/week for TWD. Also, I think that 15% is a number AMC dropped. So, 967,500 weekly DISH subs watch TWD.

So, you think most DISH subs have less than the AT200, saving a little over $3 million a month and the possibility that there is a lot of subs with contracts is somehow going to be easy to swallow if DISH loses the suit and ends up paying hundreds of millions? Do you realize how many months $100 million alone would be to AMC? AMC would not need DISH. Not to mention what would happen to DISH's stock, which dropped 3% upon the announcement that it was dropping AMC and its family of channels.

Just an updated...according to WebCivil Supreme both parties met in court on May 15th and it looks like another trial date has been set for the September 18th. Amazing how the appeal delayed this case for more than a year and a half. The next question is...will this case go to trial or will there be a settlement? Perhaps Dish is trying to tie both issues together in order to get a better deal?

This has been ongoing for four years, what's four more months? :)

I think DISH is going to play its hand, as it has been since it dropped Sundance. However, all the dirty, low-down, underhanded bull they pulled both before and after AMC filed suit is not going to make DISH look good if it does go to trial. If I were a juror I'd have to ask why it is that, if DISH was in the right, why did they destroy the data?

It's ridiculous to debate the lawsuit here - even using court documents - lawyers LIE. The only ones in a court case who are required to tell the truth are witnesses under oath.

The lawsuit, the court record, not to mention DISH's history of dumping data to avoid culpability are part of the AMC issue. They are not being sued by CNN, which had a ratings drop of 21% and charges $0.54/sub/month. Agree or not, IFC and Sundance are already gone and AMC is likely to go too. The number of DISH viewers that watch AMC
and a hypothetical $0.75/sub/month carriage fee has nothing to do with it.

If your neighbor sued you, would you invite them to a BBQ?

This will more than likely get worked out. Most thought we would never see AMC Hd because of the Voom lawsuit and yet it showed up while the suit still hasn't been settled.

The suit was filed in 2008, DISH was probably feeling pretty good about their chances then.

Hearing a BUZZ (aka RUMOR) that Sundance Channel is being removed tomorrow.

We will know more tomorrow I guess.

Sundance has been gone for about a week, hasn't it?

During the show and also commercials on 'Mad Men' tonight, AMC repeatedly stated that DISH was dropping AMC from their programming. AMC's website says that something "unrelated" is causing the potentially irreconcilable differences. I'll take the wait and see approach. It feels like us paying DISH customers are being dragged into yet another divorce hearing, reminiscent of FOX. "Put up or shut up," I imagine that's what they tell each other. We subscribers are merely pawns in a high-stakes chess game. DISH has consistently come out on top and I hope that is the case in this publicized affair. I love DISH and I love AMC. Can't we all just get along?

I sent an email to Dish thru the Keep AMC website, and got a bunch of "undeliverable" emails in my inbox. Judging from the error text, it looks like Dish's email system is being flooded, and can't handle the volume.

Shuweet!

+1

All of the AMC networks are still available in the 9000 range (check uplink reports)

For now, Dish has simply bumped We, IFC, and AMC from their channels slots in the 120s/130s

I know, its @ 9409 & 9410.

Can't find IFC -- what channel now? Was in the 380's Sunday night. ---- Never mind, found it.

Don't forget to send Charlie a tweet to @dish @ @dish_answers everyone!

Last edited:
demsd said:
I know, its @ 9409 & 9410.

Can't find IFC -- what channel now? Was in the 380's Sunday night. ---- Never mind, found it.

Don't forget to send Charlie a tweet to @dish @ @dish_answers everyone!

Found IFC on ch 9607, looks like it was moved again.

Ya. Just found it. I looked like 10-15 ago and it wasn't there.

So what, now I have to change my damn timers?? :rant:

I expected this to happen. Nice high quality "replacements". HD Net and Style. HD Net is going to be in AT120 soon. Style was already available. And of course us BB @ Home subs can watch Indieplex without even having to pay. Granted I didn't order it as HD Platinum years ago for that particular channel and I'm still not paying now for dying access to that particular channel. But shouldn't Dish just admit, "yea, we are going to need to drop AMC networks and shuffle around some of the other channels to look like we did some replacements, MKay. Thanks!" As they walk away without wait for our rebuttal.

Where are the "high quality replacements"? A SD version of HDNet and Style? Don't think so E*, I expect some statement credits if that's all you got.

The game of cat and mouse continues. If I had to guess, Dish just moved the channels so that the average (non-satelliteguys) customers would think they were gone. The channels are still there, in a different channel range, so they cannot be accused by Rainbow of removing them prior to the end of June when the contract expires (assumption). I think Dish is doing this for 2 reasons - with the season finales of Mad Men and The Killing coming up in the next 2 weeks, they 1)want to see how many complaints they get from their customers, and 2)want to force a resolution with Rainbow on a new contract by hitting them where it hurts right before the finales of 2 of their most popular shows. Since I watch both of those shows, I hope they at least keep tha HD channel in the 9000 range up and running until the end of June.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts