DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

In the days of four networks they did. There are many shows I watch, that without a DVR would not, there are too many channels now to catch them all. And time is another factor. I can watch a program now when I have the time, not only when it airs, without time shifting I might never watch many shows. They should all be thanking their lucky stars there is a DVR..... :)

I agree. Before the DVR I would not watch very much TV because I refused to change my schedule to just to catch a TV show, and when I felt like watching TV It was a crap shoot if anything good was on. Usually not. Now with DVR's I watch many more shows then I would have without it.

The DVR may be the most important addition to TV viewing ever. Neilson (Neilson Ratings) are finally taking note as to what people actually watch on a weekly basis as opposed to a nightly basis. Their latest report indicate that some shows have a 70% increase in viewers for shows recorded and watched within 6 days of the original showing. Especially in the 18-49 age group. Not only should the networks and studios take note of this but also the advertisers. Three monster shows that in the day were set to be cancelled include Mash, Cheers and The Adams Family. I believe Seinfeld was also set for the rock pile. One that was dumped that the networks would have liked to have back was Star Trek.

Problem is we have two more weeks before AMC goes dark, and everything that could be said has already been said. So I think anything even remotely related to the issue is fine. BBCA is related because DirecTV is an alternative to Dish for AMC. But DirecTV lacks BBCA which is good to know if you are considering switching. No BBCA is one of the reasons I won't consider DirecTV.

I've already dropped Dish because of AMC, but I'm still interested in how it ultimately turns out. I would have waited, but had to move on a cable deal that was about to expire, and I think the chances of Dish keeping AMC are close to zero anyway.

I agree. Before the DVR I would not watch very much TV because I refused to change my schedule to just to catch a TV show, and when I felt like watching TV It was a crap shoot if anything good was on. Usually not. Now with DVR's I watch many more shows then I would have without it.

+2

In the days of four networks they did. There are many shows I watch, that without a DVR would not, there are too many channels now to catch them all. And time is another factor. I can watch a program now when I have the time, not only when it airs, without time shifting I might never watch many shows. They should all be thanking their lucky stars there is a DVR..... :)
Oh, I agree the DVR (and before that the VCR) does give viewers more access to shows. My point was just if DVR's all had to be turned off tomorrow, people would still watch TV.

At least until there is an Ergen V. Dolan made for TV Mini-series. I wonder who will carry it?

Greenwood Luke
Warwick NY

Ironically, Dish would probably be in the midsts of a rights dispute with whomever was making it. ;) So you could watch a movie about the guy who founded Dish- on every provider except Dish. ;)

Gotta state the obvious here, since I am a jerk like that (according to my wife): Does Dish not realize that if the "Alternative high-value channels." do not include a channel that airs "Mad Men", "The Walking Dead", "Breaking Bad", "The Killing" and "Hell On Wheels" that many people are going to be very unhappy?

The whole industry is losing touch with how people watch TV these days. People do not tune in to a channel to watch that channel - they tune in to watch a show. When it's over, they are very likely to go to another channel for a different show. They are actually most likely to be watching those shows time shifted, so they are really not watching the channel at all.

TV advertisers? Sorry, the game is over. No one will watch your commercials unless they are compelling. There are some commercials that are cool/funny/whatever, and I will actually skip back to watch them. But, generally, people pick and choose the shows they want to watch, regardless of the channel, and view them in the most convenient manner.

Dish is backing people like me into a corner. If they force me to pay ComCast to run cable (the quote I have heard is really high - many thousands), or, even easier, it looks like D* has an OTA HD addon, or I can buy an OTA HD recorder and make the switch. Either way, goodbye Dish. I would hate to do it, but I would if forced....

I'm with you, but it's more than just these guys and other "service provider" companies: it's employers as well. They are ALL looking at us little guys as the enemies, and are just a step away from turning overtly abusive, with their attitudes/treatments, and their products/services.

The media companies already treat us like criminals; how far away are these providers from doing the same thing? Dish has already taken that step, with this petty childish little smack at AMC, because ***DISH*** got caught doing illegal things!! :mad:

I'm waiting for the day the Dish reps show up on my doorstep, and start beating me with a bat, because I didn't buy that channel they're peddling, or because my payment was 10 minutes late. :smash:

Why just 10 minutes late. Why can't we pay a month late? I'll never understand this "pay on time" thing.

:wtf: there's "couple minutes late cuz the website was down", that warrants either no action or maybe a fee; and there's a month late, where you pay the fees. A baseball bat to the nads is a bit excessive.

Apparently WE and IFC also moved to the 9000 range.

We've already lost these channels in Hawaii since only AMC is available in the 5000's.

We don't get the 9000 range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)