DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

...It's just a scary thought to maybe be without ESPN for any amount of time because of a dispute.

You got that right! OSU football (my OSU ;)), was the #1 reason I setup a C-Band system back in 1992. Of course, I find other stuff to like about satellite besides NCAA football, but it is still to this day my main reason for having pay TV.

I don't care for some of the stuff Disney does anymore than a lot of other folks do. But how can you boycott your favorite team? That would be a little like the SWAT team killing the hostages to get to the hostage taker. I realize that example equates college football to a human life, which is absurd. But just because it's not as important as human life, doesn't mean that we don't really really really love college football.

I still maintain a C/Ku Bud for FTA in addition to my DishNet sub... all mainly for OSU sports. I wouldn't drop my DishNet sub because of a dispute with ESPN (even though I wouldn't like it). But I would almost certainly drop DishNet if they were to permanently drop ESPN (which would never happen... I think).

There will always be those who will never understand college football fever. I'm not sure I could even explain it myself. But if you've ever caught the college football bug... you know exactly what I'm talking about.

In summary.... I hope DirecTV is the provider to challenge ESPN. :D

Cheers

I don't think it'll be D* that will be the one to challenge ESPN/Disney. For a multitude of reasons.

I didn't mean to highjack the thread with college football and ESPN. I'm just a guy that really wants to be a Dish subscriber but the lose of AMC is killing it. Like I said I will hang in there and hopefully something will be worked out.

Does anyone know the new subscriber specials Dish will be running starting tomorrow?

Anony55 said:
You got that right! OSU football (my OSU ;)), was the #1 reason I setup a C-Band system back in 1992. Of course, I find other stuff to like about satellite besides NCAA football, but it is still to this day my main reason for having pay TV.

I don't care for some of the stuff Disney does anymore than a lot of other folks do. But how can you boycott your favorite team? That would be a little like the SWAT team killing the hostages to get to the hostage taker. I realize that example equates college football to a human life, which is absurd. But just because it's not as important as human life, doesn't mean that we don't really really really love college football.

I still maintain a C/Ku Bud for FTA in addition to my DishNet sub... all mainly for OSU sports. I wouldn't drop my DishNet sub because of a dispute with ESPN (even though I wouldn't like it). But I would almost certainly drop DishNet if they were to permanently drop ESPN (which would never happen... I think).

There will always be those who will never understand college football fever. I'm not sure I could even explain it myself. But if you've ever caught the college football bug... you know exactly what I'm talking about.

In summary.... I hope DirecTV is the provider to challenge ESPN. :D

Cheers

The Pokes are usually on ABC, FX or FSN, so losing espn wouldn't be that big a deal for us. We rarely get put in the espn slot. That is usually the 4 or 5 big 12 game unless it is Thursday or Friday. Now of course me saying that, we will probably be that game every week.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Unfortunately, for any satellite/cable co there are certain untouchables. Networks that would cause the company to nearly go bankrupt if they dropped it. AMC isn't such a network. ESPN is as of now. It's been around for a long time now, and holds contracts to broadcast most North American sports leagues. For me personally, NBC Sports Net is more valuable due to my favorite sport being Hockey. But Hockey isn't even in the top 4 for sports. Other networks that I believe would cause a mass exodus are Nick, Disney Channel, Any of the broadcast networks, CNN, HBO/MAX, Showtime, and Starz.

It doesn't really matter with the premium movie channels. They are offered ala-carte and if they want to raise their rates, it isn't going to affect all subscribers, just those that want those channels

I didn't mean to highjack the thread with college football and ESPN. I'm just a guy that really wants to be a Dish subscriber but the lose of AMC is killing it. Like I said I will hang in there and hopefully something will be worked out.

Does anyone know the new subscriber specials Dish will be running starting tomorrow?

Every thread should have a little college football in it. Keeps things interesting.

Back to whether AMC's overall ratings are being affected severely Dish dropping the channel.

In June , AMC was 17th in primetime (all audiences), 16th or 15th depending on tie 18-49, 18th over a 24 hour period (all audiences)
In the last week of July, AMC was 25th in prime time (all audiences), 24th 18-49, <25th (not listed in top 25) 24 hours (all audiences)
[Edit] doing my own calculations- not official, during the month of July (1-29) AMC was 22nd in prime time (all audiences and 18-49) and 23rd for 24 hour period (all auduences - calculated for Jul 1-22 ONLY, not data for 7/23-29)

This is among cable networks. Olympics coverage is only relevant for two days of 24 hour ratings, MSNBC is the anomaly. It went from non-existent to 24th.

Breaking Bad stabilized its ratings with nearly identical ratings to last week but still losing another 100,000 live viewers (taking Olympics coverage into account, I would say this is stable for now)
Last week's numbers:
Breaking BadAMC10:00 PM22941.2

This Week's numbers
Breaking BadAMC10:00 PM21971.1

The last two numbers are total viewers in thousands and 18-49 viewers in millions.

DirecTV sub here. I haven't been back to this topic in a while.

I want to know: Can Dish Network win this dispute over AMC Networks as DirecTV did over Viacom?

Of course they can, but there are several factors involved. It's not as cut and dried as the Viacom dispute. There is the perceived value AMC and their fans thinks the AMC networks have and the lawsuit over the long dead Voom. AMC is going to have to capitulate at some point. What is more important to them, trying to ring money out of Dish over Voom or long term carriage on Dish for their networks, because they are not going to get both.

As Dish has already shown, they really don't care if they have AMC and their other networks. People can gripe and moan about Dish doing this and that, but dropping the AMC Nets is a valid and in my opinion a very good negotiation tactic.

Someone does need to challenge ESPN/Disney. Since they just signed $80 million a year contracts for the TV rights to the Rose Bowl and the Big12/Sec Bowl game through 2026, I am sure they will be asking for a big increase in fees...
Disney overpays for the broadcasting rights... then makes the viewer... whether the actually watch ESPN or not, pay for it. It is nuts.

Disney will soon have control of all the A&E networks, since the FTC has chosen not to challenge the sale and that will give them a huge monopoly over channels. They will really be monsters to negotiate with, once they have that big block of channels.
That is frightening. How many channels is one company allowed to have a massive stake in? Most of the A&E channels I could care less about... as is the case for many people with many company owned conglomerates. But there is still that one or two stations in the group that will be held hostage.

That's why I've always contended that oligopolic ownership of many unrelated stations leads to collusion and extortion. How could they not see this coming when deregulating telecommunications back in 1996?

That's why I've always contended that oligopolic ownership of many unrelated stations leads to collusion and extortion. How could they not see this coming when deregulating telecommunications back in 1996?
Not to get political but things like this restore my faith in that maybe our politicians are the best money can buy. :eek:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)