DISH drops price of HD receivers!

cinemaandsound

Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Winchester, VA
Effective 5/13/2006, the new retail price of the ViP622 DVR will be $499 and the ViP211/411 will be $249. This is great news for those of us that do not want to be locked into an agreement.:)

The price drop is effective as of today, May 3rd, not the 13th.

I do not know why they would drop the price of a receiver if they are selling plenty of them unless they ramped production up and want to sell even more of them.

Seeing that these prices have dropped this much, I wonder how this will affect the new promotion that is supposed to be introduced soon for those that own their MPEG-2 HD DVR receivers and want to own the next one instead of leasing it. As it stands right now you could sell the MPEG-2 HD DVR and not have much of a difference in what the 622 would cost.

I can see the MPEG-2 HD DVR prices dropping as a result of this since some of them were going for about the same price as what the 622 is now going for.

Well, regarding VIP622's, I wonder if they're going to lower the lease price... hardly worth leasing for $299 down + $6 (or is it $5) a month for 18 months if you can buy it outright for $499 (total lease cost $407 over 18 months), and then you could get the difference back selling it. They really need to drop the lease "downpayment" to somewhere between $0 and $99.

I'm an early adopter 'sucker' that piad $299 for the privelage to lease a 622. If I wasn't aready in that "deal" I'd buy one today for sure.

I just called Dishnetwork this morning about upgrading my 921 to an "0wned" 622 and they quoted me the $699 plus $99 install price for the 622.:confused:

I'm glad I said no.

I wonder if they'll still give the $200 rebate for the 921 with the $499 price for the 622?

Last edited:
:eek: PoP !!

Whew!! What a weird dream. It's kind of foggy but something about being on a cruise aboard the USS Echostar.

Suddenly we were overboard, swiming for our very lives. All of a sudden these life preservers appeared but they were shaped like 211 & 622 HD receivers. In desperation we reached for them but they started to change into 811s & 942s and then morphed into boat anchors that immediatly started to sink.

When all looked lost there suddenly appeared a rescue ship. It was the USS Dish 2000 with Chuck himself at the helm. "Don't worry folks, I'll save you" he cried as he lowered a lifeboat but as the lifeboat was bringing us back toward the ship, it started filling up with new HD reveivers & DVRs. It quickly became so overladen it started to sink. Just as I was about to perish with it, I heard a far-off voice ........"don't worry folks, I'll sav.........and then I woke up.:D

waltinvt said:
:eek: PoP !!

Whew!! What a weird dream. It's kind of foggy but something about being on a cruise aboard the USS Echostar.

Suddenly we were overboard, swiming for our very lives. All of a sudden these life preservers appeared but they were shaped like 211 & 622 HD receivers. In desperation we reached for them but they started to change into 811s & 942s and then morphed into boat anchors that immediatly started to sink.

When all looked lost there suddenly appeared a rescue ship. It was the USS Dish 2000 with Chuck himself at the helm. "Don't worry folks, I'll save you" he cried as he lowered a lifeboat but as the lifeboat was bringing us back toward the ship, it started filling up with new HD reveivers & DVRs. It quickly became so overladen it started to sink. Just as I was about to perish with it, I heard a far-off voice ........"don't worry folks, I'll sav.........and then I woke up.:D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D TOO FUNNY!!!!

This is certainly great news, if it's "true" (i.e., the E* folks know it's happening, etc...) That new 622 price just dipped into my range so that prompted me to e-mail E* with a request for an upgrade with a purchased 622 even tho' I still have 7 months to go on my leased 811 agreement. One can wish upon a (Echo)star...!

(I'm mostly interested in seeing if the OTA tuner in the 622, which is reportedly superior to the 811's, will solve my OTA problem before I dump a bunch of $$ into upgrading my OTA system...)

Kaydigi said:
Aren't these receivers in high demand, wonder why the price drop so soon.
usually the price drops on old receivers when a new receiver is about to take its place

I would imagine that they would drop the lease to $199 or at least $249. They can get a lot of people to bite at $199 though. At that rate you could lease it then if you dropped Dish Network and had to return it then came back later and had to repay the $199 it would still be cheaper to pay the $199 twice than pay the $499 purchase price. If you owned it though you could sell it each time you bought one and probably would not lose $199 unless you had it for a while.

juan said:
usually the price drops on old receivers when a new receiver is about to take its place

I was thinking the same thing, the 622,411, 211 are all not 1080p compatible for the future, especially when ESPN 1080p rolls out. The HDMI connectors need to be 1.3 version or higher.

Of course E* probably knows something that we don't maybe they will screw us Mpeg4 early adopters :mad:

roachxp said:
I was thinking the same thing, the 622,411, 211 are all not 1080p compatible for the future, especially when ESPN 1080p rolls out. The HDMI connectors need to be 1.3 version or higher.

Of course E* probably knows something that we don't maybe they will screw us Mpeg4 early adopters :mad:

There are some reports that HDMI 1.3 chips won't be available from manufacturers until late 2006 or early 2007.

roachxp said:

ESPN 1080p?!?

ROFL...not gona happen in this life time...or not until MPEG8 or 9 is available

jrfuda said:
Well, regarding VIP622's, I wonder if they're going to lower the lease price... hardly worth leasing for $299 down + $6 (or is it $5) a month for 18 months if you can buy it outright for $499 (total lease cost $407 over 18 months), and then you could get the difference back selling it. They really need to drop the lease "downpayment" to somewhere between $0 and $99.

I'm an early adopter 'sucker' that piad $299 for the privelage to lease a 622. If I wasn't aready in that "deal" I'd buy one today for sure.

The lease fee replaces the mirror fee. These types of explanations are not relevant. Your choices are - save $200 by leasing, or take your chances on E-Bay when you're ready to quit Dish Network.

juan said:

I'm all for new tech, but DISH goes overboard with the release of STBs.

Am I correct to assume that the 510, 625, 942 (seeing that Dish already started working on the 622) ,411, and smallest Pocket Dish version never needed to be released?

With speculation of new box, I fear that external USB hard drive option will never be activated on current boxes.

This was asked earlier but I didn't see an answer -- can I get the $200 credit for returning my 942? I don't remember if the credit was an official Dish announcement or forum rumor.

If it's true, that makes the price only $299 for existing customers to own their receiver. That's worthwhile to me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)