DISH Dual LNBF- ADD a receiver ?

A10Thunderbolt

Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
AZ
:confused: Hi, I'm new to this Forum. I did a 'forum search' to see if my question(s) were already answered here but could find same, so here I go:

I have a standard Dish500 antenna on my shed. There is a dual "Digital LNBF" on it and this LNBF is covered by a single plastic housing rather than the type that look like 2 different "heads. It is # BS1D1UP201M with two co-ax connectors lettered A & B on the unit. Right now there are two RG6 leads attached to them which are combined into "one" by a SW21 switch. From there, the single cable goes to my single receiver (DP301)

I also have a "spare" Dish500 with a different DUAL LNBF on it: this one looks like two separate single LNBs combined side by side # BS1H3UP201M.
This one has FOUR co-ax connections, of which (the outer) TWO were previously hooked up on a friends home. This one also has the wrap around SD antenna on it with a combining type of switch labelled TERK plus a SW21 switch.

My first question is: Are both/either of the above LNBFs compatible with my adding another receiver ..would I be able to simply take a line from each Individual (A&B) and run one to each receiver -
[or is "A" for ONE of 110/119 and B for the other (only)] ?
If it can be done, this would have me remove the SW21 switch I assume.

2. Would either the 2 or 4 co-ax connector models above be "better" to use than the other ?

3. I see 'used' receivers for sale on Craigslist etc (like VIP 222, VIP 622). Now that "DISH" is following DirecTVs lead and is "leasing" equipment, some of this stuff for sale may not be the actual property of the seller. I'd hate to buy a used DVR only to find out that it 'really' belongs to DISH and have them decline to add it to my account, or worse, demand it BACK. Is it possible to take the receiver/card numbers down and call DISH and find out if they will simply add same to my account (like I did when I U/G to the DP301 from my first original Model 1000) without any kind of 'fee' ?

4. If I did get a HD receiver (like the 222/622) will those work with the above DISH500 with the LNBFs noted ?

thanks in advance for any help you can provide

A

PS: I might add that I'm out of the country for half a year so I shut down my Dish account and restart it each November. DISH isnt too happy with my account not being on the 12/24 month commitment but they will 'sell' me the Bronze 100 for $ 34.99/mo. They aren't of course interested in U/G my equipment or service except for a FEE which I'm not prepared to pay.

I don't know the part numbers, so it's not really clear what you have. It sounds like you have a Twin (2 LNBFs under a wide housing) since you contrast it with the "2 heads" design. The Twin is not a "Dual" and the SW21 is not to be used to connect the outputs, each of which can go to a satellite tuner.

Your spare Dish 500 also does not have a "Dual." That is a Quad. Like the Twin, its outputs are not to be connected to an SW21.

1. Yes, and yes remove the SW21.

2. Your choice.

3. Yes, get the numbers and verify the used receiver is not leased and does not carry a balance.

4. Yes, but most of the HD channels come from a 3rd satellite. You'd be better off going through an official upgrade which would include a new dish.

PS: taking an upgrade would mean a new 24-month commitment. Paying your own way gives you more flexibility to start/stop service.

PPS: are you at D-M?

I don't know the part numbers, so it's not really clear what you have. It sounds like you have a Twin (2 LNBFs under a wide housing)
Thats right Bob, it is as you describe: The TWIN under a wide housing. The other spare Dish500 has 2 (separate)LNBs and is described as "Two focal points and 2 LNBs". Perhaps an older style but it does have the FOUR coax outputs.

The Twin is not a "Dual".. Got it !

and the SW21 is not to be used to connect the outputs, each of which can go to a satellite tuner.

But thats whats out there now, a SW21 joining the TWO 'twin" outputs into "One" which then heads for my receiver. Seems to work fine.. Should I disconnect the SW21 and run just the ONE lead to the (one) receiver instead ?

Would it make any difference if I leave it the way it is ? [If I dont U/G to the 622]

3. Yes, get the numbers and verify the used receiver is not leased and does not carry a balance.

Working on that right now

4. Yes, but most of the HD channels come from a 3rd satellite. You'd be better off going through an official upgrade which would include a new dish.

Last I read, the U/G to HD which included a new box was going to run me $ 149 or more since I wasnt going to sign up for the "commitment" - Only have the service for 5 months at a time. This way, I get the 622HD DVR for $ 85 and I think the 622 is supposed to run 2 TVS, as long as the DISH500 20" 'dish' works OK for HD.

PS: taking an upgrade would mean a new 24-month commitment. Paying your own way gives you more flexibility to start/stop service.

True, so If I cant get the HD DVR for under $ 100, I probably wont go with the new(er) setup- Just suffer with the 'ol 301

PPS: are you at D-M

No but I live outside there under the "pattern" and the A10s fly by/over all day

A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)