Dish Expands High Definition Package

jmd102354 said:
Why ? It's not mpeg 4 compatible . :confused:

They are broadcasting in MPEG2 now and if they render our equipment obsolete without providing us with a viable upgrade path they'll have a class action on their hands.

MPEG4 doesnt scare me. At this point it is purely a topic of debate on these forums with no hard evidence to prove that DISH plans on screwing everyone that buys 942's.

How about clarification on the satellite location and how can we get it hooked up because the CSRs are clueless! This is supposed to start 5/1 and they don't know if we need an additional dish or not, imagine that. :eek:

Oh by the way, thanks for all the great scoop! What a great site!

Tim

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am trying to get clarification now.

All my VOOM contacts said 10 channels. Dish in their own press release said 10 channel, however Dish's email to retailers says 14 channels.

From what we were told it was 14 We were also told "Effective April 30, 2005"

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am trying to get clarification now.

All my VOOM contacts said 10 channels. Dish in their own press release said 10 channel, however Dish's email to retailers says 14 channels.

Last minute magic by the DISH programmers I assume. Perhaps an estimate of how many channels they could pull off now was a little on the light side.

Another win for us it seems. :)

tawhite said:
How about clarification on the satellite location and how can we get it hooked up because the CSRs are clueless! This is supposed to start 5/1 and they don't know if we need an additional dish or not, imagine that. :eek:

Oh by the way, thanks for all the great scoop! What a great site!

Tim

It was posted in here that 110/119 should suffice. Unless I hear otherwise, I will stick with my existing system.

I suppose I could sell my HD Tivo to subsidize a switch to Dish!

Dang, what a great move by Charlie....

Compress???

Hoe they don't compress the hell out of them and turn them into HD-Lite channels?!?!?!

Scott?

Are they going on 61.5??

If so where did they all of a sudden get the space??

Yes Rainbow-1 but has it transferred yet??

Thanks

WLong said:
It was posted in here that 110/119 should suffice. Unless I hear otherwise, I will stick with my existing system.

Would you mind telling me how? Are there 4 or 5 unused transponders at these orbital locations?

Scott,

Maybe that was a Freudian slip, and they're going to sneak in Universal HD, ESPN-HD, Max HD and Starz HD to make a total of 14?

Hey, we can wish, right?

Cheers,

jabroni said:
Would you mind telling me how? Are there 4 or 5 unused transponders at these orbital locations?

You are asking the wrong guy. Find the person that posted the info and ask him. :)

BFG said:
Voom already broadcasts them at 1440x1080i, so they will probably stay that way...
Actually, since Rainbow Media is offering the channels to other providers, I would think that they will provide a full resolution & bandwidth feed, and is up to the providers (inc. E*) to re-compress it the way they want to.

WLong said:
They are broadcasting in MPEG2 now and if they render our equipment obsolete without providing us with a viable upgrade path they'll have a class action on their hands.

MPEG4 doesnt scare me. At this point it is purely a topic of debate on these forums with no hard evidence to prove that DISH plans on screwing everyone that buys 942's.

Well according to someone here, the 942 is already obsolete ! Just wanted to know why someone would waste $700. Don't get me wrong, if I could lease it I would get it. MPEG 4 scares my wallet . :smug

John Kotches said:
wlong says:

Enjoy not receiving the additional channels of HD content then.

Cheers,

Until I receive a communication from DISH regarding these channels being on another Satellite, I assume that this statement is incorrect. The only word on the street that has been communicated by DISH to the public is that they plan to add 10 channels of Voom HD content.

Unless I missed a statement from DISH about this requirement... :confused: :smug

Fgsilva said:
And the CSR I just spoke with said they're still waiting FCC aproval for the addition of those channels. there we go again...

CSR suffer from DKS!

Does Dish need FCC approval to broadcast HBO or Showtime? If not, why would they need approval to broadcast the Voom programming?

The last place to get valid information is a CSR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)