Dish External Hard Drive Question

Marv B

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Tulsa OK
I haven't checked in here in quite a while, and just wanted to ask a question......I've had a Dish 722 DVR for 3 years, and shortly after getting it, added a Seagate USB 2.0 1TB Ext Hard Drive. That ext hard drive is full of programs I don't want to delete (HD World Series games, etc). Is there anything I need to know about removing this ext hard drive, and replacing it with another? Will I need to get another 2.0, or 3.0? What should I expect to pay for one of these (probably 1TB), since I haven't looked at them for a while? Thanks for any help.

Marv

I'd go for "cheap" since fast drives are a waste for this application and Dish receivers aren't USB3 anyhow. I personally favor WD Greendrives, since they aggressively spin themselves down to save power, wear and tear, and yet come back out of that mode without issue.

Or did you mean "3.0TB?" If so, don't do that since many Dish receivers can't handle anything larger than 2TB.

Thanks for the replies. I've never disconnected this ext hard drive from the DVR, and was just wondering if it mattered if the DVR was turned off at that time or not. I assume it doesn't really matter. I have some important programming on the ext hard drive, and just want to make sure it's there when I plug it back in.

I assume there's no way to make a backup of any of these programs, and I just have to depend on it still being on the ext hard drive whenever I hook it back up.

Just want to make sure about this, so I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.

(1) Don't close your account if you ever want to see anything from that disk. Nontransferable.
(2) I recommend removing the power and then the USB. I've had a lot of reboots when removing the USB first.
(3) Expect to spend $40/TB today, probably only 1TB to 2TB. A few as low as $35/TB. Go for 2TB on sale.
(4) WD and plain is first recommended and most others work too. Seagate is the least recommended here.
(5) It is better to un-power the drives when not in use with the next hour or two.
(6) The receiver will put up a message but that is to alert you should you not mean to do it.
(7) I would un-power the EHD before each nightly reboot, otherwise it can take hours. Hopper excepted, possibly.
-Ken

I assume there's no way to make a backup of any of these programs, and I just have to depend on it still being on the ext hard drive whenever I hook it back up.

Do you know Linux? I've used it to back up my programs to a 2nd (already formatted for Dish) drive. The EHD contains some number of ~500GB ext3 partitions, with each program in a separate inscrutably-named subfolder in the DishArc folder. I did that when one of the partitions on a 1.5TB drive developed media errors, while leaving the others intact. None of my programs are so important that I can't afford to lose them. But if there were critical programs, I'd definitely use the procedure again to make a true backup copy, just in case.

Thanks very much for all that info, Ken! Guess I'll try to find a WD 2TB model in the $80-$90 range.

Do you know Linux? I've used it to back up my programs to a 2nd (already formatted for Dish) drive. The EHD contains some number of ~500GB ext3 partitions, with each program in a separate inscrutably-named subfolder in the DishArc folder. I did that when one of the partitions on a 1.5TB drive developed media errors, while leaving the others intact. None of my programs are so important that I can't afford to lose them. But if there were critical programs, I'd definitely use the procedure again to make a true backup copy, just in case.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll pass that along to a friend of mine who helps me out with some of this stuff that's over my head!

Thanks guys, will do! I'm pretty happy to find a 2TB model for under a hundred bucks, and will take advantage of my neighbor's Amazon Prime for 2-day shipping! I appreciate the advice!

Thanks guys, will do! I'm pretty happy to find a 2TB model for under a hundred bucks, and will take advantage of my neighbor's Amazon Prime for 2-day shipping! I appreciate the advice!

A super deal!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts