DISH FIRST TO OFFER TV SERIES IN 1080P RESOLU

I have DSL supplied by AT&T (sbglobal.net). I have a 1080P set and 1080P A/V receiver with a VIP 622HD DVR and would like to attempt a 1080P VOD purchase.

Does DISH sell an Internet Hook-Up wireless kit as DircTV does?

I have ordered the DirecTV kit for my DirecTV HR22-100 DVR. From what I have seen their kit (for some reason is not compatible with the DISH DVRs). If I order a DSL wireless kit what Manufacture and part number is recommended?

Is their a wireless DSL kit that handles 1080P better than 1080I or would it all be the same being limited by your Broadband (DSL) connection?

Suggestions Welcomed. THANKS!

Dish VOD isn't real VOD. It doesn't stream so it doesn't matter what your connection speed is. The video content is downloaded and once downloaded it's played. One caveat is that if you can download fast enough it will play before it's done downloading. Like SD content, it downloads fast enough for me to start to play it after a few min of waiting.

No your post didn't go over my head... regardless of how good a TV's scaler is and other excuses being offered, there still remains the problem of this episode of The Beast which is being offered in 1080p but not working as advertised, which is why I post my comment in the first place.

I guess my post went over your head. A TV with a decent interlacer will properly recognize 24fps film sources from 1080i60 and extract and reassemble the original 24fps frames. Therefore 1080i vs 1080p doesn't matter, you get the same 1080p24 picture either way. My old LCOS RPTV did this as well as the three of the four other HDTVs I've purchased in the last three years.

I wonder if there was a poll, which E* practice would win for being the most evil:

A. Downrezzing ALL the "HD" channels and not admitting it.
or
B. Claiming 1080p in a press release that is actually 1080i.

???

Was there a new episode of "The Beast" this week? When I do the Online thing I still only see the first one.

No 1080P version, but there is an HD version available. Maybe E* reads this board and is working to fix the 1080P problems.

Despite only having a 1080i capable setup, I tried downloading/watching "The Beast 1080p". It took 18hrs to download. When I watched it, the picture would break up and loose sound for about two seconds. This happened 40 times within the 40 minute show. So basically unwatchable but I forced myself to watch just to report.

I started downloading it last night ... I only have 1.5Mb DSL ... as of this morning I was only at 7% ... still slow as a slug going uphill in the sand in the desert at noon with salt on it ...

Same here ... 1080i ... on the plus it only took 24 hours this time versus 48 hours plus. I have not had a chance to watch it all the way through though to see if the quality was any better. Last time I was plagued with pixelation and audio drop outs.

I just connected my 722 to my network and started downloading. You should be able to set it up so it automatically downloads every episode of a given program automatically in the background so you don't have to manually download it and wait every time.

Same here ... 1080i ... on the plus it only took 24 hours this time versus 48 hours plus. I have not had a chance to watch it all the way through though to see if the quality was any better. Last time I was plagued with pixelation and audio drop outs.

WOW 24 hours to download.. it only took me about two (2) hours!
I guess it pays to have FIOS Internet. Also I was downloading at around 11:30am PST.....maybe this was at an off-Peak time.

Did notice that it's still 1080i / 720p no 1080p

However it still looks good..... just wish it was truely 1080p

Had a silly question(s)....

1. What is it that you are trying to download?
2. How do you actually do it?
3. Which channels is this on?
4. How do you know if the channel is 1080i or 1080p?

I have a 722, I see the VOD channels---that are just showing movies.
I can rent a movie and watch it---that's all I could make of this so far :)

Press your DVR button and go to #5 (DishONLINE)

Select #4 (TV Entertainment)

You will see the two "Beast" episodes (100 and 101) available as a free download.

This is assuming you have connected your receiver to your network.

Oh--so the broadband connection on the back actually is of some use?

they just started using this? I always thought the broadband connection is useless.

I'll check it out....

How will I know the 1080p content is visible? being sent?
Is there some test or does the channel description show that ?

DishONLINE has been in use for about a year now but has been sort of dorky.

(It's best previous value was qualifying as a "phone" connection for PPV and the waiving of the 2nd tuner fee)

But things are looking up. The downloaded HD copy of "The Beast" is much better than the "live" HD version I recorded off of A&E earlier in the week (but strips closed captioning :()

Also, I just received the beta version of "Sling Guide" that lets me operate and organize the 722 DVR from the web.

Pretty cool. :D

Well, I sent in a "technical support" email concerning the lack of 1080p. Here is a chunk of their response:

Thank you for your email. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available. We apologize again for any inconvenience this issue has caused and appreciate your patience with this matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)