DISH HD Information

Sorry if this has been asked before... If you are "grandfathered" into HD Free for life, can you change from an AT package to a Dish America package and then back at some point without paying $99 or 24 mo commitment?

I have Dish America Gold and ABC Family (ch180) does not show in SUB Channels, shows Green in All Channels. Same for Disney (E) HD and Disney XD HD (CHs 172 and 174)

Could any of these not be on 61.5? I do not get the 70's dishes. ANd I have the switch in the garage and not on the dish. If they do a 1000.4, that'll take me down to one dish, which will be fine with the boss (wife).

Last edited:
here:
DISH Network offers all customers HD Free for Life, which is possible because we are committed to negotiating fair contracts that allow us to keep our prices low. That is why we could not agree to the significant fees requested by Disney and ESPN Networks for the HD feeds of Disney East, Disney XD, ESPNews and ABC Family. We continue to talk with Disney and ESPN Networks and hope to reach a fair resolution. In the meantime, DISH Network customers can enjoy the same programming on the standard definition versions of these channels.

I don't have HD Free for life, I went with Dish America Gold and these programs are shown to be with that (ABC Fam, DIS E HD and DIS EXHD

And since they do not show, could it be they are on a satellite I do not get (The 70 ones?)

Anybody have the "Focus On Customer Offers" document that's mentioned in the "Focus on Dish Network HD pdf ?

Locals Only

Your listing of channels seems to say that Dishnetwork offers a locals only package for $9.99.
I called and they told me that they no longer offer locals only. Your report from Dish was dated 6/10/10.
When did they do away with this option?

HD Absolute Package

This is what I get with the HDAbsolute package for 34.99 with locals:

1. . . .
  2. EPIX2 HD
  3. EPIX1 HD
  4. RETRO HD
  5. INDIE HD
    . . .
  6. All of the PI channels in the 9400 block
*SD Channels

Epix, Retro, and Indie were on a month-long free preview. As of August 4, 2010, I am not receiving Epix, Retro, and Indie with my subscription to HD Absolute. As far as giving up my grandfathered HD Absolute package, I've been tempted lately. I could get America's Top 120 with HD for Life for only $5.00 more ($39.99). I would lose some good free HD movie channels, but I would gain FOX NEWS CHANNEL, which is not available in ANY of the HD-only packages, only the add-ons to the low-rez packages. It would be cheaper for me to dump dish and get basic cable, which has Fox News Channel. Where is Congress when we need them? I WANT A-LA-CARTE!!! You shouldn't have to pay $40 for one channel that you want! Tiered pricing is rip-off. We're all being forced to help pay astronomically high salaries for sports celebrities and Hannah Montana by being forced to subscribe to ESPN and Disney. All I want is TNT, USA, Fox News, and the locals in a reasonably priced HD package. That SHOULD cost less than $20--certainly less than $30. Does Fox News really cost them that much per subscriber, or is it just because it has so many viewers? The only thing more shocking than Dish Network's prices is DirecTV's prices. What happened to all the basic family packages?

Your listing of channels seems to say that Dishnetwork offers a locals only package for $9.99.
I called and they told me that they no longer offer locals only. Your report from Dish was dated 6/10/10.
When did they do away with this option?
I was told by Dish last week that they do offer a locals only for $ 10.99 the first month and $9.99 each month after that. Something about some fee in the first month is the reason for the difference in price. If you have them come out they said there will be $149.00 charge.

Epix, Retro, and Indie were on a month-long free preview. As of August 4, 2010, I am not receiving Epix, Retro, and Indie with my subscription to HD Absolute.
Epix, Epix2, ShortsHD, RetroPlex and IndiePlex are still available to Absolute HD subscribers. However, you can only see them if you have Eastern Arc or Western Arc dish configuration. It is possible that during the free preview those channels were coming from a different satellite and that's why you were able to see them. So, if you want those channels, you need to upgrade your dish (whether you have Absolute or Platinum).

Epix, Epix2, ShortsHD, RetroPlex and IndiePlex are still available to Absolute HD subscribers. However, you can only see them if you have Eastern Arc or Western Arc dish configuration. It is possible that during the free preview those channels were coming from a different satellite and that's why you were able to see them. So, if you want those channels, you need to upgrade your dish (whether you have Absolute or Platinum).
Well a Dish phone rep in the Philippines just told me that Dish will not change my antennas to the Eastern Arc in order to receive Epix, Epix2, ShortsHD, RetroPlex and IndiePlex. She also told me that the Disney channels had been "removed." When I asked if I could PAY Dish to have an installer come out and make the change to my configuration, she said, "No, those channels are not available with your package. And you must live in the Eastern US." I explained that North Carolina is in the Eastern USA and that I currently receive 61.5, 110, and 119, so I should be able to get the Eastern Arc satellite channels with a different dish. She replied that she would be happy to help me find a different package other than AbsoluteHD that would allow me to get those channels, but she could not send an installer out to change my dish even if I paid. In other words, if I gave up my precious AbsoluteHD subscription, they might work with me, but otherwise they won't give me the Eastern Arc at any price. I have been with Dish Network since the first day they started business, having been on a waiting list before Charlie ever opened the doors. Disgusting!
I noticed that the Eastern Arc antenna kits are selling on eBay for ~$90 including shipping. Maybe I should just order one and replace my 61.5 dish with it. I know how to aim them, since I installed my own C-band antenna back in the stone age.

I have Dish Absolute HD and plan to hang on to it as long as possible. A couple of months ago I received a post card from Dish telling me to call 888-383-3727 or risk an "interruption" of my HD service. I called and within 48 hours a tech came to my home and repositioned my dish to the Western Arc (110/119/129) and removed the 61.5 dish. I get all of the Platinum channels just fine and several additional HD channels I did not receive before. The change was FREE! I was told the change would make sure I had access to all of the available HD channels and all Dish core programming for years to come, even if some channels were moved around. So far, so good.

Tom (A Dish Fan!)

Windstream/Dish Bundle

We signed up quite awhile ago through Windstream with the DISH bundle. We have America's Top 200. At the time we signed up we did not have an HD TV & were told we could add that at any time. Well we now have an HD TV but are now told it will cost us an additional $200 for the HD receiver! Appears the HD receive is only available to "new" customers. Our Windstream bundle contract would now be up; however, if we signed a new contract, we still would not be new customer. Any help?

Yes, you can add it at any time.

No, that does not mean you can add it for free at any time, if you need an upgraded receiver.

No, you won't be considered a new customer.

Whatever happened to the Dishn' It Up upgrades?

Momot: Cheapest HD receiver you can buy is the 211k, which can be had used from The DISHSTORE: for $79 or new for $119. Possibly the reason Dish wants to charge you $200 is for a dual tuner DVR and installation of a new dish to receive 3 satellite locations and not just 2. Would all of this have been free when you originally signed up? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)