Dish HD Local Capacity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rapbanker

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Does E* have any more capacity for HD Locals? I'm in the Birmingham, AL DMA and based on size, it should be near the top of the list. I spoke directly to some of the local stations, and they say no negotiations are under way to uplink them because E* doesn't have the room. D* made B'ham HD available months ago. How much longer do you think it will take?

Thanks. I thought they tried keeping satellites from being too close. Is the 1000+ another larger sized satellite like the Superdish was?

The 1000 Plus is larger than regular 1000 and it can get signal for 4 satellites at the same time (110/118.7/119/129). Please do note that once you move to 1000 Plus you will also need to get new switch DPP44 (which runs for $199).

Let me sure I understand....Just got the 1000 installed..are you saying that once they get HD in my area I will have to pay $199 + $99 more just to get the HD channels?

Let me sure I understand....Just got the 1000 installed..are you saying that once they get HD in my area I will have to pay $199 + $99 more just to get the HD channels?

An amazing thing happens with lack of planning when you must hobble together space junk....it keeps you from making long term strategic moves as you have no idea what piece of junk you will collect next.

Think of Star Wars - and virtually every other space SCI-FI series, where pieces of space junk, errr, ships, are stolen in space and reallocated to other use.

DBS satellites are (usually) 9 degrees apart. The 118.7 satellite is an FSS type. Different freqs, power levels, etc.

You shouldn't have to pay the $199 for the DP44 switch.
It will be included with your new installation price and additional service commitment that you agree to when you upgrade.
Retail price is $369.99 for the entire system.

Don't panic wait till there is a need and see what DISH offers, it may be a free upgrade.:)

Don't care about Dish's local HD

I get my local HD OTA, they look much better than Dish Networks HD, and I can get all Milwaukee and Green Bay WI. HD locals with it. I don't lose them in bad weather like I lose satellite. Especially the 129 sat. which is almost worthless when there is much more than a sprinkle in the sky. In the first year that I have had Dish I have had to have my HD DVR replaced (with another 18 month commitment) and my dish replaced just to get their HD package and was told that when HD locals came on line that I would be all set. Then they said that they would be added this year and that turned out to be a lie. Now it sounds like it may mean installing yet another dish just to get what I was told I would get with a Dish 1000 when I upgraded from a Super Dish. I could care less if I ever get local HD from Dish. You can't trust them to do anything they tell you they are going to do. If you can get HD locals over the air I would do that. At least you will not have to rely on their poorly positioned satellites for reception. Besides OTA is FREE and doesn't require a dish upgrade or any type of commitment to Dish or any other provider.

Thanks. I thought they tried keeping satellites from being too close. Is the 1000+ another larger sized satellite like the Superdish was?

the 118.75 is an FSS(fixed satellite service) sat..Medium powered. Spacing is not as critical....
The D-500 and D1000 plus are larger than the D1000 but not as large as the Superdish....
Austin TX,according to AC Nielsen is number 54...It'll be a while before that DMA gets it's HD locals thru satellite...My DMA is #27 and we don't have them yet.
Here's the link.....Note these are 2002 rankings....

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/news2001/aug01/aug20/4_thurs/news1thursday.html

You will not have to pay for the switch....It is included with the install of the D-1000 plus...

I get my local HD OTA, they look much better than Dish Networks HD, and I can get all Milwaukee and Green Bay WI. HD locals with it. I don't lose them in bad weather like I lose satellite. Especially the 129 sat. which is almost worthless when there is much more than a sprinkle in the sky. In the first year that I have had Dish I have had to have my HD DVR replaced (with another 18 month commitment) and my dish replaced just to get their HD package and was told that when HD locals came on line that I would be all set. Then they said that they would be added this year and that turned out to be a lie. Now it sounds like it may mean installing yet another dish just to get what I was told I would get with a Dish 1000 when I upgraded from a Super Dish. I could care less if I ever get local HD from Dish. You can't trust them to do anything they tell you they are going to do. If you can get HD locals over the air I would do that. At least you will not have to rely on their poorly positioned satellites for reception. Besides OTA is FREE and doesn't require a dish upgrade or any type of commitment to Dish or any other provider.
Keep the OTA..OTA is better..Don't worry about the satellite....

Austin TX,according to AC Nielsen is number 54...It'll be a while before that DMA gets it's HD locals thru satellite...My DMA is #27 and we don't have them yet.
I don't think DMA ranking is the sole criteria for adding HD locals. If Dish approaches the stations in the "next" ranked market and all take a hard stance, why shouldn't Dish move on to the next ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)