Dish HD Local Capacity

Keep the OTA..OTA is better..Don't worry about the satellite....
We run into too ma ny HD programs, mainly primetime, that we can't record because of only (1) HD tuner. Having HD locals via satellite would be handy... I would, of course, give preference to the OTA channels though !

Do you mean any from here on? Buffalo was "supposed" to be in this quarter but of course got delayed. When they finally do Buffalo I will need a new sat dish? Geesh
I think I found the problem LIN who also now owns 2 Albuquerque stations and is the reason the same D* HD locals (supposed to have been up by now also) are not up... see this post from a D* thread also. (LIN and like stations are a pox on HD lovers who cannot get Locals HD OTA)I can't get CBS HD because of them from E*...

If you want HD locals now....just "move". Works great in areas where you are missing some OTA HD networks. If the stations would put out HD signals people wouldn't have to go this route. Hint hint...WDSU New Orleans....

We run into too ma ny HD programs, mainly primetime, that we can't record because of only (1) HD tuner. Having HD locals via satellite would be handy... I would, of course, give preference to the OTA channels though !
How much stuff do you record in a week? Do you watch anything live?
Besides ,even with the OTA you will still only be able to record in HD on one tuner...

How much stuff do you record in a week? Do you watch anything live?
Let's see if I can remember...

Cold Case, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, ER, CSI (sometimes all three), Without A Trace, King of Queens, According To Jim, Medium, Law & Order SVU

I know it doesn't seem like a lot but believe it or not, many ended up conflicting with each other, especially with the networks screwing with the start and stop times. It's one thing to adjust the default 1-min early, 3-min late timer, but when Grey's runs over 3-4 minutes routinely and ER starts 1-2 minutes early (both Thursday night, Grey's at 9pm and ER at 10pm), it gets messy. ER has been on a manual timer for a month or two now, missing the first couple of minutes. In the case of ER, it's usually a re-cap anyway.

As far as primetime TV, no, we really don't watch much of anything live. Only Grey's Anatomy (because my wife's co-workers talk it about it the next day) and Heroes ('cause I'm addicted to it) get watched the same night. Not live though. Maybe 30-min behind or an hour later.
Besides ,even with the OTA you will still only be able to record in HD on one tuner...
I know. I'd have the option of (2) more satellite HD feeds though, hence being able to record, in theory, (3) HD programs at once. Right now, because of NO local HD via satellite, I'm limited to (1) at a time.

Let's see if I can remember...

Cold Case, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, ER, CSI (sometimes all three), Without A Trace, King of Queens, According To Jim, Medium, Law & Order SVU

I know it doesn't seem like a lot but believe it or not, many ended up conflicting with each other, especially with the networks screwing with the start and stop times. It's one thing to adjust the default 1-min early, 3-min late timer, but when Grey's runs over 3-4 minutes routinely and ER starts 1-2 minutes early (both Thursday night, Grey's at 9pm and ER at 10pm), it gets messy. ER has been on a manual timer for a month or two now, missing the first couple of minutes. In the case of ER, it's usually a re-cap anyway.

As far as primetime TV, no, we really don't watch much of anything live. Only Grey's Anatomy (because my wife's co-workers talk it about it the next day) and Heroes ('cause I'm addicted to it) get watched the same night. Not live though. Maybe 30-min behind or an hour later.
I know. I'd have the option of (2) more satellite HD feeds though, hence being able to record, in theory, (3) HD programs at once. Right now, because of NO local HD via satellite, I'm limited to (1) at a time.
Do you watch then erase?..Please don't tell me you save all those hours of programming.....
God bless you..I can't watch that much tv....It sounds like if you have to go out, yer stuck trying to figure out what show takes recording priority...I have a headache.LOL!!!! Me?..I just say screw that damn thing and go out..That's what summer is for...Watching re runs of the previous season...
Your dilemma could be solved if Dish built and sold a single tuner HD DVR..AT htis point it is a mystery to me as why this has not been done..
Have fun!

Yes, we don't save them after watching them. Most prime time stuff isn't on for more than a week and we usually watch an episode before the next episode. Before re-runs started a few weeks ago, our DVR was routinely down to 10hrs available. Right now it's at 18hrs free. My wife has quite a few Days Of Our Lives episodes to catch up....

We watch very little TV during the summer. In fact, we suspend our Netflix account too.

Yes, we don't save them after watching them. Most prime time stuff isn't on for more than a week and we usually watch an episode before the next episode. Before re-runs started a few weeks ago, our DVR was routinely down to 10hrs available. Right now it's at 18hrs free. My wife has quite a few Days Of Our Lives episodes to catch up....

We watch very little TV during the summer. In fact, we suspend our Netflix account too.
Does she know she can watch DOL on The Soap channel later on in the evening?...Just a thought.
I must say, Isn't it great blowing past all those commericals....Being able to watch 44 mins of programming in about 47 minutes?

She knows about the SOAP channel and has used it when a recording got deleted by mistake.

We have two kids at home, 5 and (almost) 8. We can't watch anything we want when they're awake. :)

Don't panic wait till there is a need and see what DISH offers, it may be a free upgrade.:)
Dish is so wacked for long range planning they can't even install the right equipment for the service you request for the duration of the contract they require you to sign.

When we had Dish installed this Summer we specifically told them that we could not get the Austin HD locals OTA (distance & topography) and wanted the Austin HD locals via satellite ASAP. Of course they only installed a Dish 1000 (not the 1000+). So if Dish finally gets around to offering the Austin HD locals before my contract expires, they had better offer me whatever is required for the Austin HD locals via satellite for FREE and without increasing our contract commitment. Otherwise I will just wait and switch to DirecTV whiihc already offers the Austin HD locals via satellite.

Talon Dancer

Dish is so wacked for long range planning they can't even install the right equipment for the service you request for the duration of the contract they require you to sign.

When we had Dish installed this Summer we specifically told them that we could not get the Austin HD locals OTA (distance & topography) and wanted the Austin HD locals via satellite ASAP. Of course they only installed a Dish 1000 (not the 1000+). So if Dish finally gets around to offering the Austin HD locals before my contract expires, they had better offer me whatever is required for the Austin HD locals via satellite for FREE and without increasing our contract commitment. Otherwise I will just wait and switch to DirecTV whiihc already offers the Austin HD locals via satellite.

Talon Dancer
Hold up now..The D-1000/500 plus dishes weren't available in large quantities..In fact we could not get any...But we did not need them either..You still do not need that dish..
Dish does not require a re-commit to go to a D-1000plus IF you already have HD receivers..
I can tell you this..You will not get that dish for free...Why? Because your install was done properly for the programming you ordered at that time you ordered it..PLus, the availabiltiy of D-500 and D-1000 plus dishes was very limited. You coulkd have refused the install altogther but since you accepted the system as it was installed and I assume you signed the Dish Service Agreement Form giving otoyu approval of the job and the equipment..You did have a choice.Yoiu said so..You stated earlier that you could have gone with DTV which you are aware provides LIL in HD...
If I was in a small market such as Austin I would just forget about HD locals for now...

Hold up now..The D-1000/500 plus dishes weren't available in large quantities..In fact we could not get any...But we did not need them either..You still do not need that dish..
Dish does not require a re-commit to go to a D-1000plus IF you already have HD receivers..
I can tell you this..You will not get that dish for free...Why? Because your install was done properly for the programming you ordered at that time you ordered it..PLus, the availabiltiy of D-500 and D-1000 plus dishes was very limited. You coulkd have refused the install altogther but since you accepted the system as it was installed and I assume you signed the Dish Service Agreement Form giving otoyu approval of the job and the equipment..You did have a choice.Yoiu said so..You stated earlier that you could have gone with DTV which you are aware provides LIL in HD...
If I was in a small market such as Austin I would just forget about HD locals for now...
Of course I had a choice. But at the time BOTH Dish and DTV did not provide Austin HD locals. It was a coin toss as to which would provide them first. So I chose what was then the "HD Leader" which had publicly announced that they would provide the Austin HD locals before the end of 2006 :(

Yes I did accept the install and signed the Dish agreement. The Dish installer told me that a Dish 1000 was ALL I WOULD NEED to get HD. Silly me, I thought any qualified Dish installer would know what equipment was actually required to provide the service I had _requested_ over the period of the contract, not just the service he could sell me at that exact moment. And of course, he didn't tell me that OBTW when those Austin HD locals you requested finally become available, you may/will need a new dish which may/will require cash and a further 1 yr commitment.

Be serious. How many people who order satellite TV, for the very first time, understand the nuances of the various Dish 500, 500+, 1000, 1000+, 1000.2 satellite antennae or the various satellites, their orbital positions and the programming enough to refuse an install.

Yes, I was pretty naive last summer. But thanks to this forum I've come pretty far up the learning curve to becoming a savvy satellite TV consumer. I won't make the mistake of trusting Dish, or a Dish installer's statements, of what they will or will not do in the future again.

BTW the only reason I have to "forget about HD locals for now" is because I made the mistake of choosing the HD LiL's loser -- DISH.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
"Move" until your HD locals come.

Don't get all in an uproar about where the HD locals are going. You never know where they will pop up at...

This weekende we are going to try to move our OTA antenna into the attic and see what we can get. We currently have it mounted on our outside storage shed which isnt very tall. Its only about 10 feet in the air and we do get CBS , NBC, & ABC although NBC drops out a bit. We have the Channelmaster CM4228 which a lot of people have good luck with. If this whole thing with needing new dishess or receivers or something or other doesnt change then we are after 8 years going to have to give up on dish. Its getting way too costly without that much benefit in return.

Except in very unusual situations, a 10ft off the ground external antenna will beat an antenna in an attic every day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts