Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
floida
directway dish
hi guys I just scored a directway dish for$ 0.00
I would like to add a motor
can someone advise me on what I need and maybe give me Ideas on brands
to buy

Did you get the white Direcway dish? They're pretty good for fta, but HEAVY! I suppose you could motorize one if you drop off that transmitter part, and the big mount/skew ring on the back. You can find lots of threads on motorizing dishes here, use the search feature for "motorized primestar" , plenty of pictures to help. Mostly you just need a good motor like the DG380, make a bracket to hold the dish to the motor shaft, with an adjustment built-in to allow the declination setting you'll need. Skew is taken care of by the motor, as it moves east or west it also will skew the entire dish/lnbf.

edit : one important point, try to keep the weight under 30lbs and most motors will do just fine. I motorized a .90 primestar dish, which is a little bit bigger dish, by getting rid of all the extra weight it came in at about 23lbs.

That's a lot bigger than my direcway dish, I'll try to dig up a picture (mine's the elliptical dish).
Sure you can paint them. Clean it good with some top-job or cleaner and brush, get a can of spray paint and have at it. I painted several of my dishes, makes 'em look brand new again.

Post a picture of your dish, if you can. If that's 54" you're talking about something crazy big for direcway (commercial dish maybe?)
Should be great for fta.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 90
yes the dish was commercial
old lotto dish I think
it has a 2 1/2 inch pole
dont think that a regular motor will work maybe something that moves
larger dishes please help
suggestions?

IS that dish plastic, or metal? The weight is the limiting factor with the H-H motors.
I put a 1m primestar on a polar mount from a big dish over a year ago, works with a regular
linear actuator. If you have a big dish , or parts from one that you could use, I can post some pictures of that project for you. It's not exactly a beginner project but if you're handy with tools and angles it can be done.

please post the pictures I am presently un able to post pictures
this dish is the same size as those on conveniance stores

please post the pictures I am presently un able to post pictures
this dish is the same size as those on conveniance stores

:welcome

Yes you can paint it, white could have metal in it, black is good.

Sadoun has a large motor that is rated for up to a 1.2 m dish.

palenda , sorry I was aware that you must have a certain number of posts before you can upload pictures, but not sure what that # of posts is. Click on my name and send a private message to me, maybe you can send it to me and I can post it for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts