dish help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

palenda

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
floida
directway dish
hi guys I just scored a directway dish for$ 0.00
I would like to add a motor
can someone advise me on what I need and maybe give me Ideas on brands
to buy

Did you get the white Direcway dish? They're pretty good for fta, but HEAVY! I suppose you could motorize one if you drop off that transmitter part, and the big mount/skew ring on the back. You can find lots of threads on motorizing dishes here, use the search feature for "motorized primestar" , plenty of pictures to help. Mostly you just need a good motor like the DG380, make a bracket to hold the dish to the motor shaft, with an adjustment built-in to allow the declination setting you'll need. Skew is taken care of by the motor, as it moves east or west it also will skew the entire dish/lnbf.

edit : one important point, try to keep the weight under 30lbs and most motors will do just fine. I motorized a .90 primestar dish, which is a little bit bigger dish, by getting rid of all the extra weight it came in at about 23lbs.

That's a lot bigger than my direcway dish, I'll try to dig up a picture (mine's the elliptical dish).
Sure you can paint them. Clean it good with some top-job or cleaner and brush, get a can of spray paint and have at it. I painted several of my dishes, makes 'em look brand new again.

Post a picture of your dish, if you can. If that's 54" you're talking about something crazy big for direcway (commercial dish maybe?)
Should be great for fta.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 89
yes the dish was commercial
old lotto dish I think
it has a 2 1/2 inch pole
dont think that a regular motor will work maybe something that moves
larger dishes please help
suggestions?

IS that dish plastic, or metal? The weight is the limiting factor with the H-H motors.
I put a 1m primestar on a polar mount from a big dish over a year ago, works with a regular
linear actuator. If you have a big dish , or parts from one that you could use, I can post some pictures of that project for you. It's not exactly a beginner project but if you're handy with tools and angles it can be done.

please post the pictures I am presently un able to post pictures
this dish is the same size as those on conveniance stores

please post the pictures I am presently un able to post pictures
this dish is the same size as those on conveniance stores

:welcome

Yes you can paint it, white could have metal in it, black is good.

Sadoun has a large motor that is rated for up to a 1.2 m dish.

palenda , sorry I was aware that you must have a certain number of posts before you can upload pictures, but not sure what that # of posts is. Click on my name and send a private message to me, maybe you can send it to me and I can post it for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)