DISH Hopper Carbon UI Testing Forum - PLEASE READ!

I think the color shortcuts on a 40 remote will still work. The new 50 and 52 don't have those buttons. So, the shortcuts are still there but you will need the current 40 remote to use it.
Thanks to all that responded. It was the fact that the 50 & 52 didn't appear to have the colored buttons that made me curious as to whether they were being used in carbon. I downloaded carbon last night. Looks pretty impressive. I think that when I go to the H3 I will stick with the harmony remote.

Reactions: stimpson
Thanks to all that responded. It was the fact that the 50 & 52 didn't appear to have the colored buttons that made me curious as to whether they were being used in carbon. I downloaded carbon last night. Looks pretty impressive. I think that when I go to the H3 I will stick with the harmony remote.
Absolutely the right thing to do!

Reactions: stimpson
While I never saw any sort of "announcement" I got the impression from posts I read that the new UI was available to download again. Got it on my HWS last nite. Mostly favorable impression here - my biggest problem has been with getting resolution right - my 55" Panasonic wasn't liking it much. One thing I do NOT like is my recordings display - whereas the old UI displayed my recordings across the entire screen, the new display is fairly small, squished in the center. There are 6 (instead of 5) icons across, but they are quite small. Is this what it's supposed to look like? Maybe it will be better on the new Hopper?

Last edited:
As far as the "look" goes, I don't see it varying between Hopper models.

You say you got it on your HWS last night. Did you "force" the download or did it come on it's own ?

After reading an earlier post from someone else who apparently did the same, I forced it using the original instructions and selected "download now" it took a while to complete - a good hour or more. I did this all around my usual update time (about 130am)

Yup did the upgrade last night while my wife was on the phone, didn't seem to take long, then I discovered it was doing the joey's too.

I love it except for 1 thing.... The caller id box is a bit small. Wife completely freaked at first "Where's the caller id!" Yeah, we are getting LOTS of political calls in NH.... But we found it, and it seems a bit small compared to the old one.

Other than that I like the update, and it seems a bit more fluid than the older guide.... :)

Forced download yesterday.. Hopper w/sling, super joey, joey. 2 external drives. Disconnected drives and receivers, performed update, reconnected everything. Love it !!! Joey took software overnight. SJ still on previous ui.. no biggie. Everything works well as far as extra SJ tuners, 2 external drives, transfers. Seems stable, no reboots, Really like the dark guide! Great job dish!

Any confirmation that this is true? I have a HWS in my living room that I would like to try out. But I also have a HWS in my bedroom that all of my Joey's are tied to. I really didn't want to mess with them until the final product was available.
I "force downloaded" my HWS last week, then joined my Joey with it (it was previously joined with my H2K). After the new UI was up and running on the HWS, and the Joey connected, I restarted the Joey and it picked up the software. The Joey sees both my HWS and H2K just fine but the HWS does NOT see the H2K and cannot view any of those recordings. I've been told that the H2K can NOT be updated - at least not at this time.

There's no Carbon UI available for the original Hopper yet. It's also been posted more than once not to update if you have a mixed setup as well...

There's no Carbon UI available for the original Hopper yet. It's also been posted more than once not to update if you have a mixed setup as well...
Okay , so the Joeys will still access the H2K recordings with the new UI, Even though my Joeys are Linked to the HWS? Just the 2 Hoppers won't see each other?

Am I understanding this correct?
Does the Joey 1.0 improve its speed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If I download the carbon ui and when dish finally releases it commercially will they update it automatically for the beta testers or if they decide in the slim chance they don't want to do the ui for hws will they just revert it.

I've decided to pursue getting another HOPPER 2 with Sling.
I'm going to hold off another year or more until I upgrade to the Hopper 3.

I'm really happy with my Current setup, Once Dish gets back to me about another HWS I'm going to do the Download to the new UI.
But right now the H3 is going to be too much change for my mother, and my kids also like the system they have now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I also noticed that there is no way (unless I'm missing it) to individually select Caller ID entrees to delete. All I can see is an option to clear the list. I took a chance that this would give me a screen with checkboxes -- but it flushed every single call instead.
I can't seem to find the caller ID entries. Can you give me a clue on where they are?

Just found that the new Carbon UI was downloaded last night, 11PM to my other H2. Looks like it is in the wild now as I didn't request it with the play play option. Let Bluegrass know............

Reactions: bluegras
Just found that the new Carbon UI was downloaded last night, 11PM to my other H2. Looks like it is in the wild now as I didn't request it with the play play option. Let Bluegrass know............
i have the new hopper 3 right now thanks i appreciate it very much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts