DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

When you look at it that way, I suppose they COULD have a favorites list for each Joey. But they would be managed/stored on the Hopper, from everything I've read. ... It would be convenient to sit at one TV and go thru each favorites list and remove the channel, rather than having to go to each Joey.
Yes. A global Favorites list would be preferred in my situation, as well. But, others may prefer individual Fovorites lists for each room.

What makes you think it will be global, residing on the Hopper? I see no reason thus far why the guide couldn't be customized in each Joey.

I have been trying to keep up with the multiple posts on the Hopper/Joey but I have not seen this question asked..Will caller Id be supported on the Hopper and the Joeys? There appears to be a phone jack only on the hopper...not the joey

I want 2 hoppers and 6 Joeys. But I have yet to see any pricing. If each additional Hopper or Joey is going to cost me $7 to $10 bucks each per month, this is going to get very expensive. Right Now I am feeding all my 6 TV's from a central rack with 2 722's and 2 HR20/24, some component and some HDMI with HDMI splitters. Only two people in my house. But the Hopper/Joey system will greatly simplify things. I want to know monthly pricing before I can even begin to think about this.

I have been trying to keep up with the multiple posts on the Hopper/Joey but I have not seen this question asked..Will caller Id be supported on the Hopper and the Joeys? There appears to be a phone jack only on the hopper...not the joey
Yes caller ID will be supported, it shares the phone line info from the Hopper.

O what am I missing, D* comes out with a 5 Tuner whole home system, which in my house is about 2 shy on acceptable.

So how again is a Dish 3 tuner box even considered a Whole home system?

I like the receiver, it looks great, and I bet it functions great, but I guys the real question is , Home many of these does one need to do 5 HD tv, 3 with HD DVR and not lose the same function I have right now with 8 tuners?

I have 3 HD DVrs, 2 HD boxes.

Another issues I have is upgrades. With satellite, Its a commitment as well as a good chunk of change. So if you can't get what you need upfront, you really can't get it later either wthout spending I'm sure $200 and another 24 month commitment.

D* already is offering the HR34 and 3 HD receivers for $99 to NEW customers. Thats atleast acceptable pricing for a whole home system. Current customers are looking at( from FACT based pricing, right from the web). $600 , and 24 month commitment. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I call the cable company to upgrade and 2 days later I get what I want , free of commitments and free install.

So why would any HD DVR subscriber from Dish or D* upgrade to these systems. Is it just a" Geek" thing? Just have to have any new product no matter if it makes sense or not.

Help me understand why anyone would turn in a couple 722s for this system. What do you gain?

It could be a geek thing! :)

But if you have say 2 722s, that's 4 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners available, but they can't see each other. That could make managing recordings a PITA. Actually for me, it does make it a PITA with my 2 HR24s in my viewing room. No unified todo list at all, so you have to plan what records where. Not a huge thing, but still there and with 2 722s with Dish, the same problem exists and even worse because they can't share at all.

With the Hopper/Joey solution, everything is everywhere. Yes, you are limited at first by no OTA, so you are down to 6 tuners, same as a pair of 722s, but you can set up recordings and view them from anywhere in the house that is part of the sat network. And if the PTA has value to you, you have even the effect of more tuners during that period of time.

So maybe not so much geek. But it all depends on how much the sharing is worth, whether PTA has value to your installation and having a way to set recordings from anywhere that are then viewable anywhere.

Help me understand why anyone would turn in a couple 722s for this system. What do you gain?
A couple 722s would give you 2 HD and 2 SD feeds to your TVs, with the DVR content separated between the boxes. A hopper and 3 joeys would give you HD on all 4 TVs, 3 tuners, and integrated DVR on all of them. Plus you can get a 2nd hopper and 3 more joeys and have 8 TVs with HD and 6 tuners, all fully integrated as one whole home system.

O what am I missing, D* comes out with a 5 Tuner whole home system, which in my house is about 2 shy on acceptable.

So how again is a Dish 3 tuner box even considered a Whole home system?
Studies have shown that MOST people don't use more then 2 tuners in their house at any one time. For the majority of people 3 tuners is more then enough. (We are geeks and are not in the majority) :)

Yes the DIRECTV has 5 tuners, which from a cost stand point is a waste of money since most of the time 3 of those tuners are not in use by the customer.

The DISH solution is if a customer needs more tuners they can have them just by adding another Hopper Box, that gives them 6 tuners in total which is more then the HR34. You can not expand the amount of tuners on the HR34.

I have heard that if they find a lot of people using 2 Hoppers that it is possible we could see them make a Hopper Plus which can contain 6 tuners by default.

From a business standpoint I think DISH is making a spart decission in keeping costs down by giving the customer just a little more then they need yet having an option available to expand things if a customer needs more.

From a different viewpoint, we are full-time RVers and only two of us. But the bulk of the shows we watch have the propensity to be on at the same time. Because of our life style, we watch almost everything delayed. Two tuners just doesn't get all the shows that occur in the same time slot. Three will be a lot better and the PTA is a slam dunk.

The Joey means that TV2 in the bedroom HD will make mama happy and we all know when mama is happy...

I'm impressed at the lengths to which some people go to find faults with the Hopper/Joey. Hmmmm.

Studies have shown that MOST people don't use more then 2 tuners in their house at any one time. For the majority of people 3 tuners is more then enough.
From a business standpoint I think DISH is making a spart decission in keeping costs down by giving the customer just a little more then they need yet having an option available to expand things if a customer needs more.
I agree with you on everything,
Except the first line. I beg to differ! If this is Dishnetworks study, they better do so more research, because they aren't doing what the majority wants , if they were they would have an increasing subscriber count on a quarterly basis, and they don't!
Also dish makes it hard for a customer have have the "REAL" system they want because of high fee's and tuner limits. Most people can afford o drop $350 on a 722 because Dish won't lease 3 of them. People get stuck with systems they don't want , because of lease agreements and 24 month commitment.

So unless your research is coming from the 75 million tv subscribers out there and not just the declining 13.9 million from dish. I can't agree!

I agree with keeping cost down, but Dish could start with dropping down some of those receiver fees. You think adding those tiny receivers room to room isn't going to carry a fee?

I'm impressed at the lengths to which some people go to find faults with the Hopper/Joey. Hmmmm.
Well if you notice, he does not like satellite because he works for a cable company.

Echostar had a real nice Cable TV Box that they are starting to market here in the US called the Aria, a really really cool box that small MSO's should really look at!

I agree with keeping cost down, but Dish could start with dropping down some of those receiver fees. You think adding those tiny receivers room to room isn't going to carry a fee?
The Joey's will have a fee, as there is a smart card built into each of them.

I agree with you on everything,
Except the first line. I beg to differ! If this is Dishnetworks study, they better do so more research, because they aren't doing what the majority wants
Ok if you know what the majrotiy wants there where are your numbers? Or are you just spewing crap?

Well if you notice, he does not like satellite because he works for a cable company.

Echostar had a real nice Cable TV Box that they are starting to market here in the US called the Aria, a really really cool box that small MSO's should really look at!
No scott unlike you I build log homes and had contributed to this site numorous times. And not one time have I endorsed a check from any Utility company. How abou you Scott?

A couple 722s would give you 2 HD and 2 SD feeds to your TVs, with the DVR content separated between the boxes. A hopper and 3 joeys would give you HD on all 4 TVs, 3 tuners, and integrated DVR on all of them. Plus you can get a 2nd hopper and 3 more joeys and have 8 TVs with HD and 6 tuners, all fully integrated as one whole home system.
Yes , but again what will that cost you , and will Dish even let you lease a hopper and 3 Joeys ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts