DISH Hopper Wireless Keyboard / Remote / Social Networking Concept Video

Well i can tell you one thing after I watched this. If Dish releases this, this would kill off my 4 Logitech Harmony Ones I have. I would kill of the entire Logitech reason for having one!

If this is also a programmable remote that could also control via IR my Apple TV, Denon Receiver (which I'm sure it has to be able to) and Sony Bluray then there is really no reason left other that the touchscreen icons the H1 gives you to keep the Logitech.

Dish has to be thinking about market share as well!

This looks great. I really like the quick searches and the keyboard. I like the ability to mark points in the recordings and being able to move to them quickly without fast forwarding to the marks. I like the way you can send a message to another tv. I really don't have a need for the Facebook stuff.

It is important to point out this concept may NEVER be released, unless you guys let DISH know you want to see this for real!

Wow! What a nice remote! Can I pre-order it? :D
Seriously, I would gladly do that! I am sure a lot of people will just love this keyboard/mouse remote and will be willing to pay extra to get it.
Dish, please put them in production ASAP!

As many others, personally, I don't care about the FaceBook integration, but I am sure some kids will like that feature.
Now, if they offered SatelliteGuys integration, that would be really cool! And would make a lot of sense!
After all, we are the Social Network for the satellite TV fans! ;)

I want a couple of these remotes. Maybe a short production run for Satellite Guys would be a possibility, then Echostar would have a better idea if it would be worth mass production.
Dan

sorry no interest I don't have or want a Hopper

Then why are you in the hopper forum channel? Should I browse all of the forums for products I don't want and make random comments about my lack of interest in various features because "I don't have or want it.". Really?

I love the "concept", though I think I would prefer a slider keyboard to the flip on the back idea. That keyboard on the bottom is going to pick up dirt and grime sitting on surfaces. That minor point aside, I would order 5 today if they were available. I also agree with the Logitech remote issue. I have a Harmony One as well. Logitech had best step up and add a full keyboard quickly, or their products will start to be less compelling.

And please!!! make it backlit! :)
I really like the remote that comes with Hopper/Joey, but I wish it was backlit!

The keyboard is backlit but the front of the remote is not.

Since this was a prototype, things may change.
Of course it's more important for the keyboard, but if they make one side backlit, I don't see why they can't make the other side backlit too.

The remote itself was not a prototype. It has already been tooled and is off a production line. The software however is that part that is not finished.

Really sounds like they've already decided to adopt it.

Or is there another product that might use the remote?

That's what I have been saying!!!

I still have the Logitech Revue. Now with my new 2 Hopper system, three Joeys the Google'
is obsolete. They did not integrate it with the new Dish recievers. Now I know why.
It makes perfect sense.

It seems dish has improved on the Google setup. I prefer a small remote
keyboard as opposed to the mini keyboard.

Google which I truly enjoy feels like it just misses the boat.
Maybe, from what I see, dish might really be onto something.

Im curious if it has web access like the Logitech?
I do like the search feature, tagging-Im definitely on board with this.

I hope dish(with this new concept) adds Netflix, Vudu and Hulu. Granted its competition
But offering those apps for an all in one experience would be outstanding!

When Can I get one???

Excellent concept... I'd buy three this week if they were available.

Note: One thing that would be VERY handy is for the ability for the hopper to "learn" a remote code. I have a Phillips Pronto remote which does this, and gets around one annoying problem that I have.

One of our (crappier) TVs is made by Sylvania. There are currently 18 remote codes for a Sylvania TV - and none of them work correctly. Two of them do the basic functions of volume and power OFF, but neither will do a power ON. I'd love to have the hopper ask me to use the original remote to scan the code being sent, then assign it to the function provided. Alternatively, I can get the scan codes from the infrared remote provided with the Sylvania; if I only had a way to assign them to a button.