Dish is AGAIN saying my purchased reciever is leased!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just lost a 625 receiver to dish network.. I bought it off of ebay over 3 years ago.. I couldn't prove it. It wasn't a big deal.. I only paid $80.00 for it and used it for almost 3 years.. But I could not come up with a receipt because of the age on Ebay..

Moral of the story.. "Keep your receipts"

If you paid with PayPal, THEY will have a receipt of the transaction.

So dish can be irresponsible about record keeping but the customer's feet are held to the fire? Seems a bit backward to me...

If you paid with PayPal, THEY will have a receipt of the transaction.

Wish I did.. The guy was only 45 minutes from me.. So I saved on shipping and went and picked it up.. I even contacted him to see if he happened to have anything.. But he didn't..

problem with that is, no way to know if the guy who "sold" it had any right to.
Huh? If Dish activated it, then it must not be leased.

The correct answer is that email can easily be forged, so it's semi-worthless as proof of anything.

Before I bought it I called dish to make sure it was "clean" then they activated it.. The only way was a receipt.. and I couldn't come up with one..

Okay. I've been a customer of DISH for 2+ years.

I just logged into my account and see that the receiver I purchased is showing up as leased.

I know that last year when I logged in it showed that I bought it, which I did.

I think this happened again when they recently updated the website.

What can I do?

Last edited:
Okay. I've been a customer of DISH for 2+ years.

I just logged into my account and see that the receiver I purchased is showing up as leased.

I know that last year when I logged in it showed that I bought it, which I did.

I think this happened again when they recently updated the website.

What can I do?
The first thing is start a new thread instead of reopening a year old thread. The second is start looking for proof that you actually purchased rather than leased yhe receiver. Many consumers lease with the mistaken idea that they are purchasing. Third would be contact the loyalty dept with proof that you own the receiver.

The first thing is start a new thread instead of reopening a year old thread. The second is start looking for proof that you actually purchased rather than leased yhe receiver. Many consumers lease with the mistaken idea that they are purchasing. Third would be contact the loyalty dept with proof that you own the receiver.

Why should we have a new thread? This one serves the purpose just fine. Your second, to find the receipt is a perfect answer. Third, contact DIRT after finding that receipt. They will ask you to PM them a copy of it and it will be fixed. I did this a while back and it worked just fine.....

I had the same problem when I bought my hopper and two joeys. The csr couldn't believe that I paid over $700.00 for a hopper. I laughed and said I didn't. I only paid $329.00 for the hopper but traded in my older 722k and one 211k to get it discounted by $150.00 to dishdepot.com . I ended up talking to the loyalty department and they said yes you do own the hopper and we will change it but it might take a week or more to show. I kept calling every two days to that department till the receiver showed up as purchased ,instead of leased. I have owned all of my receivers since 2003 and have done so on all my DISH accounts: 4 now.

No one should have to PROVE that they own a receiver. Dish should have the burden of proof. If I am leasing a piece of equipment there will be a contract Dish can refer to.

While a receipt would be good, assuming it has the needed info, I have to say it should be on Dish to prove they own it.

I have to say, I actually applaud the poster for finding a thread on the same subject he is posting about. Seems we always say did you do a search, he did! There are some threads that are not relevant anymore and better left for dead, but this one seems still relevant.

Last edited:
I posted my point of view because I am having the same issue. I have 2 622s that the HDMI port never worked from day one. Just used Component. Have 2 new TVs so wanted to hook them up via HDMI. Used the Chat feature (so I had a record of the conversation) and jumped through several hoops before they agreed to send me 2 replacement receivers under the Dish Protection Plan I have subscribed to.

I get 2 emails confirming that the replacements were shipped and it lists my receivers as PURCHASED. I install the receivers and after they are activated I check the account. They entered the first one as LEASED and the second one as PURCHASED. I call and the first CSR tells me that since they replaced it the receiver will now be considered lease. I tell her that I will keep the two receivers that I purchased then and her response is Dish will charge me for not returning my owned receivers. I asked and was transferred to the Executive dept. I explained my situation and was assured that it would be corrected. I used the analogy that if I total my car and the insurance company replaces it my name is on the title not theirs.

At the moment a DIRT team person is working on getting this resolved. No one should have to provide any receipt, period. I am pretty sure that the law in any state would require DISH to prove they own the receiver NOT the customer. I purchased these receivers when they first came our 4-5 years ago. Dish doesn't have a contract showing I leased the receivers, end of debate as far as I am concerned.

If this issue drags out any further I am going to file a complaint with the Attorney General in my state. My prediction is if Dish continues to play this game they are going to end up in a class action lawsuit. Not that they care as they think they are above the law anyway from what I have seen of their behavior in the last decade.

BTW Other than dropping channels over disputes and this issue I am happy with my service from Dish. Their DVRs are the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts