Dish Leasing Issues

sbrinck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Hi
I currently own or at least I thought I did a 510 purchased at Dish and also a 522
purchased much later on Ebay .
When I purchased the 522 I went through the whole CS bull you cant own BLA , BLA, BLA !!! I did as suggested on this forum and Emailed the CEO and stated the obvious this is bull s##t they stated no problem send us the serial # if the unit is clear we will activate .
All went well until about 3 months ago I started getting Lease Fees again I called and was told the following . You do not own the 522 you purchased a leased unit so that is the reason for the Lease Fees. I asked Why the year or more without fees the CS stated we made a mistake???

I would refresh there memory with the Emails I had with the CEOS office but they are on a hard drive that bit the dust some time ago .

If any one has any ideas on how to" rectumfi" this situation it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Um hmmm. If you bought it on ebay was it actually owned originally by that owner? If it was stolen I can see where they are coming from. If it's totally clear in ownership it shouldn't be a problem....

If DISH says you are leasing and you have no proof otherwise you are leasing. Sorry but that is the risk you take in buying off Ebay.

Thanks for the replys
The only proof I had was the CEOs office stating that the unit was clear"not leased or stolen". They stated that leases are not transferable which would mean they are totally contradicting themselves. Somthing tells me going that route I would need an attorney, so I guess I am SOL !

It might be too late, but do you have any recourse through the seller or eBay? Have you tried to contact the seller to obtain the original bill of sale?

I have to think there is precedence here. If an eBay member sold you a stolen unit, seems to me that eBay has to get involved somehow if you complain to them. The original seller might be immune (i.e., can't be located or identified) but eBay certainly has some exposure. If nothing else, you're adding another log onto the fire that will eventually lead to eBay restricting or banning sales of such undocumented equipment.

The lesson I'm learning in these forums is that unless there's an original BoS available to prove the legitimacy of the transaction, it's strictly caveat emptor...

I did try that and had no responce.
I have had this unit for about 18 months the thing that really Frosts my A$$ is that Dish gave me the high five to go ahead and purchase the unit based on the serial # givin to me prior to the sale . All was well for about 6 months then the lease charges started again. All the emails of the transactions with the CEOs office are on a toasted hard drive if nothing else I now document all trasactions Ebay or otherwise .

I was just wondering if I am the only victim of this . Or this is just a regular dish scam

DISH scam? Maybe a scam from your seller. People at Dish make mistakes, too. You took a chance on eBay.

The 522 is the same same unit same serial # that Dish approved .
Six months later it suddenly changes from a purchased unit to a lease unit ??
If I wanted a lease I would have spent a little less and leased one from Dish
and PAY & PAY & PAY now if I want to upgrade its a win /win for Dish

Yea you are right there are mistakes mine was trusting the Dish on the approval !

The receivers are not marked as "lease" or "owned" when they have never been activated.

When you go to activate the receiver, at that point the CSR puts the proper promotion codes on the account that its a leased receiver so they can charge you the lease fee.

As a check and ballance, the dealer or RSP who installed the unit gets re-imbursed from DISH for the cost of the unit when its activated. If its not listed on the account as a leased box, they will not get re-imbursed.

What probably happened was when you went to activate it, they where not doing owned 522's so the CSR put down that the box was leased when they activated it for you thus creating the problem.

Should be an easy problem to fix when you call the executive offices. The proof is this, if it was indeed a leased box, then ask Dish when was the order placed to have someone come out and install your leased box. If they claim it was done through a retailer, then ask them where the contract is that you signed so the retailer could get properly re-imbursed for the unit.

Now the only issue I can think of is that if the unit was previously leased, then it could be possible to be a leased receiver when activated on your account.

Hi
This was a self install.
I also own 2# 501s that were purchased from Dish that I have had no issue with
This was stated from the Dish CEOs office this 522 can be activated it is not on a lease and is not stolen unit is ok for activation.

As they have stated to me on another a prior attemped purchase " lease units are not transferable" they can only be aquired through an authorized Dish retailer . Maybe I lost somthing in the translation.
Now when I aquire about the new lease charges on my bill the CSR states this is a leased unit we made a mistake which to me makes no sence . So I assume the burden of proof is mine at this point ?

sbrinck, I'm with you on this. I know I don't hardly post, but I read alot here. A lot of 522's were sold on Ebay cuz they were being sold by dealers going out of business. Thats why your 522 was probably new and never used or leased when you got it. I think you should email the CEO again, explain the situtation, and get the lease fees dropped. I think you should have the other lease fees they charged you refunded back to you also.

If one was to buy a "leased" receiver from Ebay E* will not activate it. I would contact them at the CEO address and explain to them. If you bought it using Paypal you should be able to go back in your history and get a copy of the receipt.

Hey
Thanks for the advice!!!
You are right Tim it was on Paypal. Maybe that will help.

A lease agreement was never signed or was one ever mentioned .

I just received my Dish invoice and the lease fee is now $6.00 which is not alot but if I want to upgrade "which I was considering" I will have to return to Dish a purchased unit which is unacceptable .
I would sooner give it away before I let that happen !!!!
Oh I forgot its not transferable !!!!!!

Iwill update on their responce or most likly lack of one .

Scott

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)