Dish Locals Shutdown and DirectTV

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
DirectTV was fast ... driving into work this morning on the radio I heard a commercial for DirectTV ... it went something to the effect:

"Dish is no long carrying channel X. Channel X has this program and that program and this other program. Come to DirectTV where you get it all ..."

Dish is becoming very annoying with these channel disputes. I hear this bull that they are trying to keep your rates low. What a bunch of lies and the rates go up every February anyway. DirecTV never ever has a channel dispute. I don't remember it ever even when I had them for a year I never lost a channel.

Last edited:
Dish is becoming very annoying with these channel disputes. I hear this bull that they are trying to keep your rates low. What a bunch of lies and the rates go up every February anyway. DirecTV never ever has a channel dispute. I don't remember it ever even when I had them for a year I never lost a channel.

read the full threads. Locals are suffering and want cash. They are asking in excess of $0.30/sub/month. That is ridiculous for a local channel that gives out its signal free.

Dish might be in the right..but they always seem to have contract disputes.

Kind of like the boy who cried wolf.

I just dont believe dish anymore...even when they are right!

And there was a half-page ad in the Seattle Times with the same message...

Same as The Oregonian.

I'm switching to Direct if this thing isn't fixed in a week. Screw 'em. I send Dish over $130 every month. I am sure Direct would love my money

read the full threads. Locals are suffering and want cash. They are asking in excess of $0.30/sub/month. That is ridiculous for a local channel that gives out its signal free.

And how does D* handle this situation without losing service to its subscribers? Or are the locals just picking on Dish?

The truth is that Dish can't handle a contract negotiation without losing service for some period of time because of Charlie's cowboy mentality. He's oblivious to the harm he's causing Dish (losing subscribers) because in his mind he is keeping the costs down by playing hardball. He may be keeping the costs down but I wonder how much (if any) of those cost savings trickle down to the remaining subscribers...

And how does D* handle this situation without losing service to its subscribers? Or are the locals just picking on Dish?

The truth is that Dish can't handle a contract negotiation without losing service for some period of time because of Charlie's cowboy mentality. He's oblivious to the harm he's causing Dish (losing subscribers) because in his mind he is keeping the costs down by playing hardball. He may be keeping the costs down but I wonder how much (if any) of those cost savings trickle down to the remaining subscribers...

Because Charlie negotiates the good deal, DirecTV frequently finds out about it, and gets the same deal.

And DirecTV HAS yanked locals in past. Just not nearly as frequently.

If the economy keeps goig the way it is, DirecTV will soon have the same problems. Dish's contracts are up, DirecTV's aren't. Hence, no issues for DirecTV at present.

Hell the latest group wants 60 cents a month per subscriber.

As much as Dish has stupid disputes this is one I agree with them on.

Keeping my Dish Network just for one channel. If I switch back to cable or Direct, I will pay extra for it.

Umm, keeping costs down playing hardball? I DONT THINK SO with the new price increases. It is not about saving the consumer money, it is about saving him money, that way he gets to keep more of that price increase, such as the $3-$10 price increase we are about to get.

I don't think ppl are understanding that Dish has disabled EIT program guide info in their OTA tuner. If this were enabled you'd get program guide without spending $6 or whatever it is for locals.

Why did they disable EIT if locals are not a significant profit center? Their own financials show their profit margin is 44%!!

AFAIC disabling EIT makes Dish more complicit in ripping us off.

You could have chose another provider ,So I guess E* isn't ripping you off that much.:rolleyes:
You assume that I'm a Dish subscriber. That is an incorrect assumption.

I am surprised that everyone defends Dish in this, given the things I note. You don't know it, but you are lobbying for less competition, antithetical to the American Way. These locals are barely making it and widen the diversity of programming, yet you treat them as if they are impediments. Dish here is making 44% profit!! In the long-run you may get your way, and have only ONE CHOICE for programming. Congratulations.

You could have chose another provider ,So I guess E* isn't ripping you off that much.:rolleyes:

Toatally agree! Seems people want to gripe about Dish but stay with them anyway. makes you wonder about their motive. If Direct is so great go to them, no one will miss you. Also if your not a sub to Dish why put up such a fuss? I have both and still prefer Dish over Direct because I only have Direct for baseball and shut it down after the season is over. The ONLY reason I would go to Direct is if Dish shuts down.

You assume that I'm a Dish subscriber. That is an incorrect assumption..
Well I guess untill you really are effected by the Things you claim about E*, Maybe you should at least have their service first.
Being as this is the E* forum and your complaining about getting ripped off,Naturally one would guess your a E* subscriber. So How Exactly is E* ripping you off again??:confused:

Well I guess untill you really are effected by the Things you claim about E*, Maybe you should at least have their service first.
Being as this is the E* forum and your complaining about getting ripped off,Naturally one would guess your a E* subscriber. So How Exactly is E* ripping you off again??:confused:
Right, I am not getting Ripped Off... you are.

I am just trying to beat some common sense into you, but maybe you won't hear to it. You will continue to argue vociferously against Competition, and against your own best interests!

But don't expect me to understand it, nor your abuse of the English language.

Right, I am not getting Ripped Off... you are.

I am just trying to beat some common sense into you, but maybe you won't hear to it. You will continue to argue vociferously against Competition, and against your own best interests!

But don't expect me to understand it, nor your abuse of the English language.
I'm Getting ripped off , Because you said so? Are you for real? What do you have D*?. Yea so do I, and had them for the past 5 years. and Trust me I get A LOT less with what I pay for D* then what I pay for E*. Thats fact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)