Dish Loses 94,000 Subs In 1Q

The answer for DISH NETWORK is simple. Dump unnecessary channels, that's about 1/2 currently offered freeing up bandwidth. (MORE ISN'T BETTER and NEVER was)..... If you want the bleeding to stop make your service unique and (AWESOME) where customers don't want to leave. You have the DVR with the H3 but need better PQ, something that stands above the rest.

HD lite just doesn't cut it with modern televisions and when people see streaming services like PSVUE have better PQ for much less they leave.
Its time to start thinking out of the box or failure is sure to come.

Can't comment on internet delivered services PQ as I'm on a WISP, but don't disagree with your comments on Dish. They especially need to fix or replace whatever hardware they're using that results the frame rate judder I've been seeing for well over a year on channels like AMC, SyFy, USA and probably others. Original scripted shows on those channels (like the Walking Dead, The Terror, Expanse, Krypton etc.) are unwatchable for me on Dish.

Can't comment on internet delivered services PQ as I'm on a WISP, but don't disagree with your comments on Dish. They especially need to fix or replace whatever hardware they're using that results the frame rate judder I've been seeing for well over a year on channels like AMC, SyFy, USA and probably others. Original scripted shows on those channels (like the Walking Dead, The Terror, Expanse, Krypton etc.) are unwatchable for me on Dish.

I've noticed some judder on those channels, but it was the same on DirecTV. On TWC, they just looked bit-starved with lots of compression artifacts. Everyone seems to be walking a fine line on PQ vs. bandwidth.

Reactions: camo and MikeD-C05
I've noticed some judder on those channels, but it was the same on DirecTV. On TWC, they just looked bit-starved with lots of compression artifacts. Everyone seems to be walking a fine line on PQ vs. bandwidth.

I also have a Bell TV subscription. No judder. Even on AMC which is now the same feed.

The answer for DISH NETWORK is simple. Dump unnecessary channels, that's about 1/2 currently offered freeing up bandwidth. (MORE ISN'T BETTER and NEVER was)..... If you want the bleeding to stop make your service unique and (AWESOME) where customers don't want to leave. You have the DVR with the H3 but need better PQ, something that stands above the rest.

HD lite just doesn't cut it with modern televisions and when people see streaming services like PSVUE have better PQ for much less they leave.
Its time to start thinking out of the box or failure is sure to come.

Please give us a list of all the unnecessary channels.

I also have a Bell TV subscription. No judder. Even on AMC which is now the same feed.

OK, so not everyone. Given they actually have the words "Ultra-stunning Picture Quality" prominently displayed on their website, I am going to assume they have different priorities in Canada. Is that a ViP 722 DVR they provide? Their triple-play bundle includes 5Mb download speeds with a 50GB cap. Things truly are different in Canada.

Reactions: TheKrell
OK, so not everyone. Given they actually have the words "Ultra-stunning Picture Quality" prominently displayed on their website, I am going to assume they have different priorities in Canada. Is that a ViP 722 DVR they provide? Their triple-play bundle includes 5Mb download speeds with a 50GB cap. Things truly are different in Canada.

Yeah different priorities. Like getting the frame rate correct so scripted shows don't judder. Everyone should provide that, especially if they expect subscribers to pony up north of $100 every month for TV. Dish used to do that, before January of last year.

I think Bell's two tuner DVR is the ViP 722. I used one for several years until the capacitors went bad. I now have the 6131, a single tuner unit with an attached EHD that turns it into a DVR. I'm guessing that's a Dish 211.

Reactions: ncted
My brain antenna went up a few years back when Dish sent a letter to the FCC , dropping their permits for reverse band satellites after they had spent a pile of money buying them. Told the FCC to sent them the cancellation bill. I thought something was up since Charlie is really tight with his money.

Then, a year or so later, Charlie says in a quarterly report that they project satellite would only grow at around 1 percent per year or less.

Now, digging in the quarterly report for satellite only customers, they report an annual lose in satellite customers (dropping from 11,832,000 a year ago to 10,845,00 this march - a loss of about 1 million customers in 1 year)

Then they go on to talk about the more economical Sling customers and the dirty little fact that the Satellite TV customers are downgrading their accounts to less income generating packages.

Digging more , you read that about 45 percent of their capital assets are in the new wireless licenses which are generating $ 00000 income.

The question is, how low does satellite go before it stabilizes and when will Charlies get some income generating from the move to a wireless business

Like getting the frame rate correct so scripted shows don't judder. Everyone should provide that, especially if they expect subscribers to pony up north of $100 every month for TV.
I'm curious. Do you have a 4k TV? I've never had a problem with judder on my 1080i sets. One of them died and I upgraded to a 4k... instant judder. There was a menu setting in the TV that I turned off (or was it on?) and the judder went away.

...and as soon as 'cable' (aka bundled TV packages via cable or satellite) is dead, streaming service prices will increase. Except then you'll ALSO have to pay for the internet bandwidth to get it. So in 10 years from now we'll look back and remember how relatively inexpensive 'cable' was.

I'm curious. Do you have a 4k TV? I've never had a problem with judder on my 1080i sets. One of them died and I upgraded to a 4k... instant judder. There was a menu setting in the TV that I turned off (or was it on?) and the judder went away.

I see it on both UHD and 1080p sets with high refresh rates. I don't really see it on a 720p set with 60Hz refresh.

Only 2k here and I'm aware of the 'judder' settings. No change either way with Dish. The "problem" is on their end not mine.

Only 2k here and I'm aware of the 'judder' settings. No change either way with Dish. The "problem" is on their end not mine.
I'm not defending Dish, but because you have a problem on a single TV doesn't mean it's a problem on Dish's end. It could be you have a problem TV. Or there's some kind of incompatibility between the Dish receiver and the TV. It would be interesting to get another Dish receiver to hook up to the TV, or put your current receiver on a different TV and see if the problem remains/goes away.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm not defending Dish, but because you have a problem on a single TV doesn't mean it's a problem on Dish's end. It could be you have a problem TV. Or there's some kind of incompatibility between the Dish receiver and the TV. It would be interesting to get another Dish receiver to hook up to the TV, or put your current receiver on a different TV and see if the problem remains/goes away.

Three HD TV's. All with the same judder in the same shows in the same scenes on the same channels on Dish. On Bell, no judder in the same shows in the same scenes and on AMC, the same channel. The judder is coming from Cheyenne, not Spokane. :)

Replaced Hopper3 in August last year. Same judder.

Three HD TV's. All with the same judder in the same shows in the same scenes on the same channels on Dish. On Bell, no judder in the same shows in the same scenes and on AMC, the same channel. The judder is coming from Cheyenne, not Spokane. :)

Didn't you say your Bell receiver is the equivalent of a Dish ViP211? So, to really do a fair comparison, you would have to replace your Hopper 3 with a ViP211, so the equipment would be as similar as possible.

If the problem is in Cheyenne (and it might be), wouldn't more people (especially here) be complaining about it?

If the problem is in Cheyenne (and it might be), wouldn't more people (especially here) be complaining about it?

Yeah you'd think so. Back when this started in Jan-Feb 2017, there was a short thread of about eight posts complaining about it. I'd link to it but I can't find it now. That said, it appears most either don't see it or see it but don't care. I do, so I'm bringing it up from time to time. Who knows, maybe someone from Dish will see this and take note of it. I doubt it though, after 15 months, it looks like Dish got away with it. What might have been a problem then is now a feature. ;)

Yeah you'd think so. Back when this started in Jan-Feb 2017, there was a short thread of about eight posts complaining about it. I'd link to it but I can't find it now. That said, it appears most either don't see it or see it but don't care. I do, so I'm bringing it up from time to time. Who knows, maybe someone from Dish will see this and take note of it. I doubt it though, after 15 months, it looks like Dish got away with it. What might have been a problem then is now a feature. ;)

My wife doesn't see it. Shrug.

Same here. The only channel with judder is Dish's own free previews board. That channel has it bad but that's the only one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)