Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

GeorgeLV said:
No. ED is generally considered 480p. 1280x1080i is still HD. AFAIK, it is not public information what resolution/bitrate DirecTV is tranmitting their MPEG4 HD locals at.

No HD is 1920x1080i, 1920x 1080p or 1280 x 720p thats it. Laugh at calling it HDlite but it is. It has a definiton at AVS forum and the term has been used by Marc Cuban. I dont see how much more official the term needs to get myself.

Last edited:
I see this as no different than reducing the quality of their SD stations. Are the HD feed still a bit better than the SD feeds? They just dont have enough bandwidth to add what they want at the resolution that they had. I guess we should either get used to what we have available to us or switch providers. This is not really a surprise to me in what they are doing. Hopefully the digital HD feeds will come in better than the analog feeds around here.

I sent a message like many did to quality control and got the standard reply. However, I also asked for a receipt to see if my message was read. I got 3 replies that my message was deleted and never read. A lot of good that does.

That account is probably on a auto responder, their probably getting the messages and deleting them. They don't care. I'm hoping that this is only short term.

I have a update for you guys, dish is still messing with stuff as we speak

I think Sean is exactly right of what he has been hearing about Voom

All Voom now have a Video Bitrate of almost 15 Mbps

Yesterday Majestic and GuyTV were around 10 Mbps video, they are now 14.65 Mbps, same for Rave and HDNews

The high bitrate guys of Equator and Monsters, have had their bitrates lowered to 14.48 Mbps also

we are seeing exactly what Sean said over on the Voom forum:

"all 21 Voom to be 1280x1080i with 15 Mbps video"

Believe me folks this is the way our Voom are going to be now, everything has been set into motion

and on that note this is where I decide in the very near future to dump Dish HD and my 942/6000

only time is keeping the entire HD pak from being done the same way

-Gary

I have to agree with Gary Murrell on this being the way things will be for now on (or at least for a while) and that things have been set into motion. If someone asks a question about it they will say that they do not have enough room on their satellites that it was either this or have less content. Most people would look more at content than quality. That is the problem. They figure the sooner they do it the better because it will be fewer people to complain before it goes mainstream.

They will probably be moving 2 of those 11 channels to join monsters, and animania transponders, since 21 channels fits evenly on 3 channels per TP. And the reason they lowered to 1280, because voom/dish thinks you cant have 3 channels of 1920x1800i working correctly on the 6000, I said this earlier but nobody made a comment on it :(

Stargazer said:
Most people would look more at content than quality. That is the problem. They figure the sooner they do it the better because it will be fewer people to complain before it goes mainstream.

That's the way it's been for years, if it wasn't we wouldn't have the SD channels compressed to the levels that they are today. E*/D* saw their numbers grow no matter what they did to SD picture quality so why would anyone think that when push came to shove that they wouldn't do the same thing with HD streams?

vurbano said:
No HD is 1920x1080i, 1920x 1080p or 1280 x 720p thats it. Laugh at calling it HDlite but it is. It has a definiton at AVS forum and the term has been used by Marc Cuban. I dont see how much more official the term needs to get myself.

There's not much justification for saying 1280x720p is HD, yet 1280x1080i is not. What about the 1440x1080i format that the original Voom broadcasted? IMO, the main idea HDlite confers is that the video is being excessively bit starved, not that the frame size isn't an ATSC broadcast standard.

Mad Max 2 looked very soft.

Ultra looks soft too, PQ-wise.

I am very disappointed. I am hoping for a return to 1920 x 1080.

Before or by the time they finally get all of these HD-Lite channels up there will be a newer HD out on the market or 3D. Satellite may never catch up. They may not have to worry about it if broadband and IPTV takes hold strongly enough, and if satellite cannot come up with something just as good if not better.

Stargazer said:
Before or by the time they finally get all of these HD-Lite channels up there will be a newer HD out on the market or 3D. Satellite may never catch up. They may not have to worry about it if broadband and IPTV takes hold strongly enough, and if satellite cannot come up with something just as good if not better.

You know how much bandwidth 1080p takes? It's not coming, at least not many channels are coming in that format anytime soon so Dish has time. Besides it depends on the amount of channels. As it stands we're looking at 37-39 HD channels MAX being offered in the U.S. market by the middle of next year however I still wouldn't mind getting some foreign channels in HD as well, too bad NO content provider offers them.

No other HD has been touched accept the 4 Voom channels that were 1920x1080i

The 6000 handles 3 TRUE HD channels per transponder on 110, although the bitrates are lacking

I understand what you are saying BFG, maybe something is different with 61.5/129 and the 6000 concerning 3 TRUE HD per transponder

like I said before, Dish or Voom would have been better off providing 720p, that would have gave them the bandwidth room they need and keep picture quality top notch, as 1280x720p picture quality is superb

now with considering the whole interlaced vs progressive, on these 1280x1080i channels we have:

1280x540 now

vs

1920x540 before

interlaced upon motion is only 540 lines, still shots is were 1080i looks best

with 720p we would have 1280x720 instead of 1280x540

1920x1080i gets it's pristine crisp look from the 1920 horizontal pixels of info

this is a huge difference and anyone who thinks this 1280x1080i HD is not much different than TRUE 1920x1080i HD is dead wrong

the hole point of TRUE 1080i HD is that is has high horizontal rez to offset the interlaced 1080 lines of vertical which is most of the time only 540(when there is motion)

-Gary

GeorgeLV said:
There's not much justification for saying 1280x720p is HD, yet 1280x1080i is not. What about the 1440x1080i format that the original Voom broadcasted? IMO, the main idea HDlite confers is that the video is being excessively bit starved, not that the frame size isn't an ATSC broadcast standard.

1440 was not HD either, but it looked much better then 1280. The 16:9 frame size is the same in all of these cases just the dimension of the individual pixel changes. Actually, I believe HDlite is not so much the bitstarving but rather the downrezzing that allows a reduced bitrate and a subsequent bandwidth savings for the provider. They lower the bitrate down to match the reduced bitrate demand of the lower resolution video. Once they hit the point where the picture is stable, i.e. no blocking etc, they have achieved the HDlite product.

Last edited:
I was watching the George Jones Soundstage special on RAVE and I noticed at points parts with fast motion looked like they were in slow motion.

I think Vurbano has hit the nail

at least that is why I always understood providers lowering the resolution, so bitrate could be lowered and no pixelization occur, lower bitrates(or more satellite space effeciency) is all about what Dish is after no matter how they can get it, sadly this is the price

anyone want to take wagers on how long it is before all HD on Dish is HD-Lite :mad: ??

-Gary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts