Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

I personally would rather see everything at 720p with decent bitrate at least then everything would look good not great but good. I mean if you changed 720p to i then it would be 1440i so thats better then 1280x1080i. Thats just my .02. I just dont like not having choices. My cable co dont offer HD and has nothing on the books till 2007. Directv Light HD is not acceptable but tbh if this is what dish is going to do then I will drop dish and get DTV since they have Distant Network HD at least. (no firm date on when dish will do it). Plus my local CBS affiliate wont grant dish a waiver cause dish wants a unlimited time frame waiver and CBS wont give it to them where as DTV will accept a time frame based waiver. Man it so sucks being in this little grey area of Vermont sometimes. I miss living in Phoenix. All the channels I could want for free in HD. WB, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN(no content), PBS. And a slew of others that werent HD but at least digital. WAHHHHHHHHHH

JoeSp said:
Gary, I believe that you have that a little wrong. On an interlaced picture the Verticle lines (1920) are scanned odd than even but the Horizontal lines (1080I) are not. So what you would have is 860x1080 pixels scanned on your viewing screen with all the odd then all the even scanned to give you 1920x1080i or one frame of the picture.

Actually, you were off by 90 degrees... Its the horizontal lines (1080i) that are scanned odds then evens... that is why the "i" (for interlaced) follows 1080, not 1920..

the picture is made up of two concurrent 1920x540 images (or in this case, 1280x540)

Wikipedia has a good article on interlacing... and it is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

I called and talked to a person at Dish i asked about the changes and was told they didnt do anything to the HD channels then i said well i found out other wise and would like to cancel if this is true, well all of a sudden he knew something and said we are getting a lot of calls of pepole wanting to cancel service so we are looking into what we can do to keep all the customers happy i said just do what you promiest your customers and you would'nt have this problem and he said ya makes sence to me and asked so sir is that all if so have a nice day end of call.

This whole thing makes me so mad i could sh*t a brass goose. They have plenty of room on these satellites and what do they do, pull this sh*t. Dish needs to pride themselves on HD because it is the future of television and not shave the HD channels down to 1280x1080i. If your going to put HD up there then put real HD up. I would much rather have quality over quantity. If we the customers let this keep going on before long the only REAL HD source we will have will be OTA. All this just makes me dream of Verizon FIOS.

We should all start sending complaining with E*. Send your email to:

DishQuality@echostar.com

But it is important that the message we send be something like "I've noticed that the picture quality have decreased on Equator and Monster in recent days..." as oppose to something like "I heard that the the channels are being downrezzed to 1280..."

"All this just makes me dream of Verizon FIOS."

You got that right! The problem is that FIOS is available only to few markets and we are still years away for being deployed to the rest of us. Comcast analog channels suck in my area so that's not an option for me.

E* is doing this because they know they can get away with it. Not too many options for MOST of us.

My email
This is ridiculous the quality is crap. Tell me this why would I pay for HD channels and not get them in HD? I know its not just me I have searched the net and there are tons of Dish Customers experiencing the same thing. If this is how your going to serve your customers then I for one wont be staying. I can pay Directv for “not quite HD” and get their distanct networks in HD at least. Bah right before the holidays thanks for the early xmas gift.

And the usual response

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the quality of the Dish Network. We have received your email and will be looking into the concerns you have identified. Your comments are important to us. Through our own cutting edge technology and your feedback, we will continue to improve the already superior quality of our service.

This email address is primarily for service quality issues to aid the Quality Assurance Team in the continuing effort of providing our customers with the best possible picture and sound. While each comment is reviewed, due to the amount of email that is directed to our mailbox, we can not respond to each individually.

To better serve you, we also have the following electronic mail resources that can be utilized:
Customer Service, billing and programming issues can be addressed to feedback@echostar.com
Charlie Chat Questions or comments can be addressed to charliechat@echostar.com
Our World Wide Web site contains a large amount of information that may also assist you in getting your questions answered. Our web site is located on the internet at <http://www.dishnetwork.com/>.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Dish Network Quality Assurance Team

Last edited:
RandallA said:
The problem is that FIOS is available only to few markets and we are still years away for being deployed to the rest of us...... Not too many options for MOST of us.

I figure it'll be at least a decade before this community even has a sniff of FIOS, or anything of the like. This whole HD lite thing makes me sick at my stomach. :no

I want to add something to this

I will be the first to say that I think Gallery is HD-Lite, it looks awful, Dish left the mpeg header at 1920x1080i only

as a matter of fact, I can gurantee 100% that GalleryHD is still HD-Lite, my brutally honest display(WS-65813) and eyes tell me so

again no way GalleryHD is True 1920x1080i

you guys ought to see what HD-Lite looks like on big $ CRT front projectors, Ouch :(

-Gary

rdinkel said:
When I installed my Dish1000 last week, I got the feeling that Echostar should have made the dish a little larger to improve the gain of the 129 signal. I bet they went with the smallest size that they could get away with rather than adding any margin that would improve signal strength. For satellite dishes, I guess Echostar thinks smaller is better................

If they thought that then they would not have come out with the SuperDish as large as they are. I know that in my area the signal is just as bad on 129 as it is on 105. It is harder to get a line of sight at 129 than 105 since it points lower.

Just sent a note and within 45 seconds of sending it I got this back...

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the quality of the Dish Network. We have received your email and will be looking into the concerns you have identified. Your comments are important to us. Through our own cutting edge technology and your feedback, we will continue to improve the already superior quality of our service.
This email address is primarily for service quality issues to aid the Quality Assurance Team in the continuing effort of providing our customers with the best possible picture and sound. While each comment is reviewed, due to the amount of email that is directed to our mailbox, we can not respond to each individually.
To better serve you, we also have the following electronic mail resources that can be utilized:
Customer Service, billing and programming issues can be addressed to feedback@echostar.com
Charlie Chat Questions or comments can be addressed to charliechat@echostar.com
Our World Wide Web site contains a large amount of information that may also assist you in getting your questions answered. Our web site is located on the internet at<http://www.dishnetwork.com/>.
Again, thank you for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Dish Network Quality Assurance Team

Scott Greczkowski said:

I got the same reply to my reply email to their special Voom response. Make sense?

I wonder if I will then get a special follow up Voom response.

I got a little comparison for your naysayers about 1280x1080i being ok

5 months ago I recorded one of my All Time favorite movies from MonstersHD "The Wicker Man"

This recording was 1920x1080i with 17 Mbps video

Just this evening I recorded a sample of "The Wicker Man", of course after these changes MonstersHD is now: 1280x1080i with 14.5 Mbps video

both frames from each recording were captured full resolution, I them zoomed in 200% on a specific area of the picture to show the difference, here is a picture of the entire frame for reference:

wickerframe.jpg

Here are the comaprison shots of each portion of the respective frames, see if you see a difference

wicker1280.bmp

wicker1920.bmp

this is comapring 1280x1080 to True 1920x1080i, the difference is not slight and is even worse on non-Movie material

-Gary

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:

That is not the response I got from dishquality address. Mine was more specifc on the Voom channels and the fact that they are receiving numerous complaints on it.

It also asked for continuing feedback.

SatinKzo said:
That is not the response I got from dishquality address. Mine was more specifc on the Voom channels and the fact that they are receiving numerous complaints on it.

It also asked for continuing feedback.

Since most of us received the generic response, would you mind posting your response from them? Thank you.

DVDDAD said:
Since most of us received the generic response, would you mind posting your response from them? Thank you.

This is the form part that I know others are receiving that is different from the one Scott received

dish email said:
Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We have received numerous complaints on the VOOM HD package. We would like to thank you for pointing out this information. We have confirmed and are aware of picture quality issues on several of the VOOM channels. Our engineering staff is working towards a resolution. This may take some time to troubleshoot and finalize.

The issue of HD picture quality is always a difficult one. Some of our HD customers want more programming while others want better quality. In general, DISH Network provides HD content in whatever format we receive from the providers. You can rest assured that DISH Network is listening to you. We are constantly striving to provide you with the best A/V quality and variety of programming. With fast changing HD technology, we ask that you be patient. We will continue to make efforts to raise the bar for our customers.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience, information, and for being a valued customer!

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

dishquality@echostar.com

I also received this second email asking for feedback, I am not posting the email address this came from however. Just so other know, I listed in my email the technician I talked to on the phone.

dish said:
We have reviewed your email and phone call complaint on VOOM picture quality on DISH Network. We are working on the PQ issues and would like your feedback tomorrow on any changes you notice. Please respond to this address with feedback.

DWS44 said:
I figure it'll be at least a decade before this community even has a sniff of FIOS, or anything of the like. This whole HD lite thing makes me sick at my stomach. :no

Think about where we were a decade ago and you should realize it won't be that long until FIOS rolls out...

Gary Murrell said:
I got a little comparison for your naysayers about 1280x1080i being ok
5 months ago I recorded one of my All Time favorite movies from MonstersHD "The Wicker Man"
This recording was 1920x1080i with 17 Mbps video
Just this evening I recorded a sample of "The Wicker Man", of course after these changes MonstersHD is now: 1280x1080i with 14.5 Mbps video
both frames from each recording were captured full resolution, I them zoomed in 200% on a specific area of the picture to show the difference, here is a picture of the entire frame for reference:
wickerframe.jpg

Here are the comaprison shots of each portion of the respective frames, see if you see a difference
wicker1280.bmp

wicker1920.bmp

this is comapring 1280x1080 to True 1920x1080i, the difference is not slight and is even worse on non-Movie material
-Gary

Gary - thanks for the hard work setting this up.

What did you record the original on, a D-vhs?

Anyway, the difference is noticable. The picture has alot of soft sections that weren't so in the 1920 version.

The only thing that is going to convice Dish to fix this is proof that we are not fanatics and that we really do see, can guage, and prove the picture is not
good quality.

The whole 'We will make changes and you guys tell us if it is better' proves they are looking for us to say it looks better by giving us a sugar-pill, ie, nothing, and we think it changed.

Gary's proof and any others people can post will be the proof that Dish needs to clean up their act.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)