Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

VOOM DBS looked the best compare to Dish, cable, USDTV, Direct...I really think VOOM would have worked if they kept going. I remember people saying the NFL wasn't going to work...then they split into the AFC/NFC and well look at the NFL now!!

I never subed to Voom when they were on there own but damn I wish they were still in business. I think they would have made it if they would have got the other satellites up and started offering some of the biggest DMA's locals.

I wish there was another up and coming satellite provider in the works. I don't think this will be the end to full rez hd in the future from a pay tv provider. I think that Verizon will do it and there will be alot of different technologies in the future, one being IPTV. IPTV I think will be the future of TV.

This is all very depressing.
I recently sent my email to the ceo and was granted the privilege of leasing a 942 for $250. Shortly after Dish dowrezzed the voom channels. But in response to my emails to the ceo I was reassured that the problem was being worked and I'd be happy with the resolution.

Well we can see what that resolution was and I am not happy.

The whole industry is just playing with us. We get TNTHD and we are excited, but in reality we get stretch-o-vision and ESPNHD delivers very little HD, but we are patient and slowly we get more HD. D* goes HD Lite, but we are smug and happy with full rez dish. We get Voom and are again hopeful but now it appears E* is going HD lite as well.

I guess the good news is I just got a 'Dish buy back' promotion from Comcast in the mail, so I can recap some of my investment in Dish. I've watched Comcast at a friends house and it's full rez. But how long before they downrez along with all the other stuff that sent us to DBS in the first place.

The reality is the average Joe has no understanding of HD nor has any clue what true full rez HD looks like.

I visited my brother in Utah over the holidays and he had recently gotten a new Sony HDTV. We sat down with family and friends to watch a bowl game broadcast in HD and immediately I realized it wasn't HD. When I mentioned that it wasn't HD, he said well it is a HDTV and he had the cable company installed a HD cable box. No one in the room had really watched HD before except me and they thought it looked fine. I took a look at his setup and he certainly did have an HD cable box, but he had it connected with an S-video cable, so he was watching a SD picture stretched to fill his 16:9 screen and thought he was watching HD.

So I asked him if he had any other cables around, specifically one with a red, blue, and green RCA connectors. He said that he thought he had a cable like that. Sure enough he returned with a component cable, which I promptly installed and switched inputs on his TV. A commercial was on at the time and everyone in the room was saying it doesn't look any different. I said that commercials aren't HD, just wait until the game comes back on. When the game came on, the jaws hit the floor and the eyes got real big and almost in unison everyone said WOW!

They couldn't believe the difference, but would the reaction been much different with HD Lite. Maybe not as dramatic but probably would have been very satisfactory to that audience.

The reality is there are a lot of people with HDTV's who think they are watching HD, but aren't and they don't even know it. HD lite will satisfy 95% of the population.

It's a sad day indeed. I guess now the Holy Grail of HD is HD DVD. Hopefully everyone will see the what real HD looks like and demand more from the satellite and cable providers.

Last edited:
From Dish's Tech Portal FAQ's about HD:

What HDTV formats does DISH Network support?
In general, DISH Network will provide HD content in whatever format we receive from the content providers, including both 720p and 1080i HDTV formats.

I guess the key words IN GENERAL apply here. So much for passing through an undistorted signal from the source.

Well back when they returned emails and said they were working on a resolution to the poor picture quality on the Voom channels, I guess none of us caught the sarcastic hint of "working on a resolution", I guess they have been working on 1280x1080i the whole time.

Personally I got off the phone a few hours ago cancelling everything out. Though I was transfered to customer retention I told them to go pound sand the same way they told me. Don't care to pay more for MPEG4 considering it will be HD-Lite also. Comcast is coming tommorow with a dual-tuner HD DVR and I get everything I practically have now for 39.99 a month for one year. So screw you E*. My bill was 107 and change I know that is nothing to them but saving almost $70 a month for one year adds up to $840 which equals a start to a nice weekend retreat.

Tired of the "well if they do this and this I will jump ship" talk. I jumped, and the water is awfully nice out here!

Gary Murrell said:
... this is Directv(and their sub's) fault
I know we are all frustrated and upset, but let's not misdirect our anger. Blaming DirecTV subs is counter-productive. It's not helping the cause. I think we can still make a difference here by putting pressure on Dish and communicating to them our dissatisfaction with the HD picture quality. Do not give up! The fight is not over yet.

Reefer123 said:
Well back when they returned emails and said they were working on a resolution to the poor picture quality on the Voom channels, I guess none of us caught the sarcastic hint of "working on a resolution", I guess they have been working on 1280x1080i the whole time.
Personally I got off the phone a few hours ago cancelling everything out. Though I was transfered to customer retention I told them to go pound sand the same way they told me. Don't care to pay more for MPEG4 considering it will be HD-Lite also. Comcast is coming tommorow with a dual-tuner HD DVR and I get everything I practically have now for 39.99 a month for one year. So screw you E*. My bill was 107 and change I know that is nothing to them but saving almost $70 a month for one year adds up to $840 which equals a start to a nice weekend retreat.
Tired of the "well if they do this and this I will jump ship" talk. I jumped, and the water is awfully nice out here!

I will be doing the same thing when my contract with dish is up June 1st.

Comcast in my area has the local hd channels looking just as good as the OTA hd locals. Damn they look awesome.

Shutting Down my Dish Subscription

First post, great site. Many thanks Scott, Gary, and others.
I originally got dish many years ago due to their very high SD PQ as compared with my crappy analog cable service. When they came out with PVRs I got those too. Now I have three SD PVRs and one leased 811. My average bill has been around $100/month for all those years. The PQ and PVRs were worth it.
With SD cable now being same PQ as Dish, and OTA HD PQ being better than Dish, it's time for me to move on and terminate my Dish subscription. Yes, I've been annoyed with their consistently poor customer communication. Yes, it's sad to see what could have been a great service turn into mush. But in the end, PQ was what attracted me to dish and PQ is what has driven me away.
I'm off right now pricing OTA receivers and cable, and one or both of those options is where I'm headed.

ashgrov said:
First post, great site. Many thanks Scott, Gary, and others.
I originally got dish many years ago due to their very high SD PQ as compared with my crappy analog cable service. When they came out with PVRs I got those too. Now I have three SD PVRs and one leased 811. My average bill has been around $100/month for all those years. The PQ and PVRs were worth it.
With SD cable now being same PQ as Dish, and OTA HD PQ being better than Dish, it's time for me to move on and terminate my Dish subscription. Yes, I've been annoyed with their consistently poor customer communication. Yes, it's sad to see what could have been a great service turn into mush. But in the end, PQ was what attracted me to dish and PQ is what has driven me away.
I'm off right now pricing OTA receivers and cable, and one or both of those options is where I'm headed.

Your part about picture quality is the whole reason I went with dish as well. I remember back in the mid to late 90's when I first saw sattelite at a store and my jaw dropped. The day I fist got dish I was so excited. Just like a kid in a candy store. I remember when they touted picture quality. Well that is the only reason whey they got me years ago. Now they are going to lose me over the same issue.

I just came back to dish after being with cable for the last two years. Didn't have a choice so I had cable in a different town. Now I come back to dish because I figure that since they had the best pic quality 9 years ago when I first got them why not now. I figured hey hd is awesome and they must have the best hd out there. Well that isn't the case. More is not always better and dish just proved it. I mean look at the news casters on the voom. What a joke. They couldn't even get a job being a janitor at my local stations channel. I think it is pathetic about the price increases for hd content. There is no way you can tell me that the voom,universal,espn2hd are worth $10 month.

This voom crap should not be bundled up. IT is crap to most. I remember seeing several people post about voom months ago before I got it. They said that after a month or so you most likely don't even watch it. Well they were right. I haven't physically seen one person come over to my house who said it was good. In fact they all laugh. I agree. I don't watch it anymore. I only got it because it was only $5 more per month, now I know why it was so cheap. What is next on their list? The paint drying channel?

Just look at all the technology comming out and going forward. Now dish decides to go backwards. Crappy programming and crappy picture quality too boot. Gosh I can't wait for them hd dvd and blu ray.

I don't know which thread or forum into which this information was originally posted, but there was a post which stated that three representatives of Satelliteguys had a sitdown meeting with, I believe the Director of Communications, and after a discussion of their strategy, the Satelliteguys reps agreed that it was better to have more HD channels than to broadcast VOOM in true 1920 HD.

This game is definitely over now.

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
Yes Tom I saw that, it is truely over, Dish has set into motion quantity over quality and there is nothing we can do about it now
-Gary

Both companies did the same thing with SD so they're just continuing the precedent that they already set year ago.

It's all very simple.
The companies are here to make money, not just to please their customers.
They will keep squeezing and downrezzing everything until we scream!
And unless we scream they will not stop doing that. So, we must scream to get heard! The louder the better. What else can we do? ;)

We screamed. They heard us. They asked us to wait until the CES and the HD Charlie Chat on Monday. Most of us agreed to wait and give them a chance to come up with a solution. It's been quiet for a week or so. But this doesn't mean that we accepted the present situation. We'll give them time till Monday. And then if we don't hear any commitment to PQ improvement, we'll start screaming again. Louder than ever!