Dish motor for BJU dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTAer0024

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Sunny North FLA
Hi all. I am looking to get my BJU dish motorized, and there are several varieties on Ebay: SG9120B, SG9600, SG2100. Which one would be compatible with my dish? And also, this one seller claims that plastic gear is better, lasts longer and produces less backlash. Is it true, or just sales talk?

the SG9120 is the king of all diseqc hh motors in my opinion....the only difference in the two models is the shaft diameter....

In my experience, the best motors are the SG-9120 series. ALL motors are susceptible to backlash problems, but the SG-9120 is easiest to correct for backlash.

My BJU Dish is on an old school SG2100, no problems - the newer SG2100 I have tried have all been too loose.
I also have a Sonnet 6000, and DG360 both work perfect, no backlash.

It depends on the size and weight of you dish. You will have to research each motor and check the specs. They will tell you the size and weight the motor can handle.

SG9120

OK I researched and it looks like 9120B has a 42mm tube and 9120 has a 50mm tube.

Now I think that I need the 9120 version, not the 'B' version. When I was installing the dish, I had to wrap some thin aluminum sheet metal around the mast because BJU mount was too large and wouldn't clamp the 40mm mast tight enough.

SG-9120B

Metal Gear I believe

Which BJU dish do you have? Is it an older ChannelMaster fiberglass dish or one of the newer metal ones? I ran an old CM BJU dish with a SG2100 for quite a while, then bought a sg9120b when the motor started having tracking issues. The difference in the mounting tube wasn't compatible with my homemade mount so I put up a different dish and starting using a different receiver as well. I still don't know if the problem was with the motor or the receiver. The 2100 moved the dish OK except in real cold weather, but I would recommend the 9120 as others have.

I guess it is the newer one, because it's all metal. It came with the mount, the same one like on the 30 inch Winegard dish, but slightly larger diameter. I think it was meant for a 50mm mast, not 42mm.

Which BJU dish do you have? Is it an older ChannelMaster fiberglass dish or one of the newer metal ones? I ran an old CM BJU dish with a SG2100 for quite a while, then bought a sg9120b when the motor started having tracking issues. The difference in the mounting tube wasn't compatible with my homemade mount so I put up a different dish and starting using a different receiver as well. I still don't know if the problem was with the motor or the receiver. The 2100 moved the dish OK except in real cold weather, but I would recommend the 9120 as others have.

It is important for you to determine the tube size meant for the dish before you buy the motor. The 9120 (A) has a lip at the bottom of the tube, and therefore works best with U-bolt-style mounts. The 9120B would work better with a dish that clamps to the pole, and is tightened by bolts at the back (like a traditional Dish Network dish mount).

Could you snap some pics of the dish and mount and post them here for us to see? We'd probably be able to tell you immediately which motor (the A or B model) would suit your dish.

The pictures of the dish can be found in this post:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/262194-unknown-ku-dish-possibly-bent-lnbf.html

Thank you for your advice!

It is important for you to determine the tube size meant for the dish before you buy the motor. The 9120 (A) has a lip at the bottom of the tube, and therefore works best with U-bolt-style mounts. The 9120B would work better with a dish that clamps to the pole, and is tightened by bolts at the back (like a traditional Dish Network dish mount).

Could you snap some pics of the dish and mount and post them here for us to see? We'd probably be able to tell you immediately which motor (the A or B model) would suit your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts