Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

I want to program the colored buttons in SAT Mode.

Like kstuart suggested many posts ago, I also prefer to use my TV's speakers as the general default. Then for movies, music channels, prime-time dramas etc., I prefer to use my stereo receiver/good speakers.

IN SATELLITE MODE:
I'd like to maintain the TV Power, Mute, Volume Down, Volume Up buttons controlling these funtions of my Panasonic Plasma as they are now.
And
I'd like to assign to the middle Red,Green,Yellow,&Blue buttons these respective functions of my NAD Stereo Reciever: Power, Video Input, Volume Down, Volume Up

This way I could continue with the conditioned response that we have in my household of using the TV's volume buttons. And just get ourselves accustomed to using the colored buttons to control the Stereo Receiver's volume.
And also this way, we can easily transition from one to the other as such:
1) use the default TV buttons to turn down the TV volume
2) turn on the Stereo Receiver
3) select Video Input (in case we had it in another mode like AM or FM Tuner, CD player, etc.)
4) and control the Stereo Receiver's Volume Down & Up.
All without having to change modes.

However I haven't been able to successfully program the colored buttons. I press SAT, then RECALL, then RECORD. But the SAT button doesn't stay lit to indicate that it's in learning mode. I tried to proceed anyway but no go.
I wonder if the buttons are not available for programming in SAT Mode.

I had an idea while I was typing this. I remember earlier in this thread the IR experiment where UHF settings only transmit in UHF while in SAT Mode with the exception of the four TV buttons. I have both of my 21.0 remotes set to UHF transmission. I thought maybe if I switch the remote to IR, then try programming the colored buttons if that would work. And if it does work I wondered if I'd retain the learned IR signals for the colored buttons when I switch it back to UHF? I tried it and it didn't work. Am I missing something here?

Is there another way to access the color buttons in SAT Mode like with the TV buttons? It doesn't seem like there is any direct learning in SAT Mode. I see that there are indirect ways of accessing the SAT Mode TV buttons from the TV and AUX Learning Modes.

Anybody had success programming the colored buttons in SAT Mode?

The Remote Control User's Guide states that in SAT Mode the Red, Green Yellow, and Blue keys are Shortcut Keys (for future use). The implication would seem to be that they can't be reprogrammed.

Has anyone else had trouble with the battery cover? I had a lot of difficulty getting mine off, and when I was finally able to pry it off it apparently stripped the remote so that now the cover won't stay on anymore. E* is sending me a new remote, but it sucks that I need to get a whole new remote just because of a battery cover.

The Remote Control User's Guide states that in SAT Mode the Red, Green Yellow, and Blue keys are Shortcut Keys (for future use). The implication would seem to be that they can't be reprogrammed.

RED, GREEN, Yellow, and Blue keys are standard Blu-ray keys. I wonder if they work on such players?

Has anyone else had trouble with the battery cover? I had a lot of difficulty getting mine off, and when I was finally able to pry it off it apparently stripped the remote so that now the cover won't stay on anymore. E* is sending me a new remote, but it sucks that I need to get a whole new remote just because of a battery cover.

Same thing for me, guess I'll try for a replacement. Let us know if you have to send back the broken remote.
Dan
I just ordered a new remote, and was told not to return broken one.

Last edited:
But, did you try--as was suggested by dlsnyder--in DVD or AUX (DVD) mode programming e.g. the Red, Green and Yellow keys to control the DVD mute, volume up, and volume down functions? (I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but making sure we have covered all possible solutions that might help.)

Thanks. Yes, that's what I ended up doing (which worked!)...

I wonder if anyone can help me with one of the following two problems I'm having:

1. I'm trying to backup my remote settings, which there is a set of instructions for at the Dish Tech Portal (Tech Portal : Remotes : 21.0 IR/UHF Pro). Pressing and holding '0' does not get the System Wizard up and running.

2. I'm trying to program some buttons in SAT mode, but the Recall and Record sequence is not working to get the remote into 'learning' mode. Anyone else have this problem and able to fix it? When I had a similar problem with getting the DVD mode into 'learning' mode, I reprogrammed DVD mode to its original device and that seemed to 'reset' things (and allowed the Recall and Record sequence to get me into 'learning' mode)...is there a way to do this with the SAT mode?

So if you are trying to program your preamp's volume control into the learning volume button in Sat mode, it's not going to work?

I have a B&K Ref 50 that I'd like to control using this remote. (I haven't bought the remote yet)

Is there a punch through feature for volume to work?

Is it normal to program the remote to my tv. Use the learn funtion to learn some input functions, then never be able to get it back into record mode unless I start over by inputting the device code in again? Just a one shot deal at learning functions?

Is it normal to program the remote to my tv. Use the learn funtion to learn some input functions, then never be able to get it back into record mode unless I start over by inputting the device code in again? Just a one shot deal at learning functions?

Record is done in the sat mode, r u trying to put record in the TV mode?
Dan

Since you can not program the volume controls in the sat mode, is it possible to enter the code for satellite receiver into Aux and then program the volume controls using the learn function?

What I'm trying to do is program the volume control of my B&K Ref 50 into the 21.

Since you can not program the volume controls in the sat mode, is it possible to enter the code for satellite receiver into Aux and then program the volume controls using the learn function?

What I'm trying to do is program the volume control of my B&K Ref 50 into the 21.

Jim, I haven't tried this but it seems to me that it would work.....
The TV volume controls punch through to the sat mode, so;

Reprogram the settings for your TV, then before you save them
and exit the learning function for the tv... use the remote that you
wish to control the volume and program these into the tv function.
Of course if this works you will not be able to use this remote to
control the volume for the tv itself, though I don't think you probably
need to control the tv volume.

Thanks Gravel,

I had asked a while back about punch through ability and don't think anyone responded.

But that would take care of the situation for me.

Thanks.

21.0 UHF and IR

i just got my 21.0 remote and set it up to control my 722 by UHF on TV1 and I have a second 5.3 remote that I use for the wife and it works also. So you can set the 21.0 remote up for tv1 UHF/IR pro and the 5.3 IR remote still works. great feature now I can control TV1 anywhere. Don't know if anyone tried this yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts