Dish Network CEO Hints At Hard Line In Viacom Renewal Talks, Calls Extension A “Positive”

I say take the Viacom channels down. Teach them a lesson. They are too dang greedy. The one show that I want to watch I will find it online. It won't kill me. They could probably drop our fees $5 and still be ahead or offer something different that more people would watch. Would be interesting if they gave everybody a movie package to compensate. More people would watch that and it might actually be something different to attract new customers and keep the existing customers.

I say take the Viacom channels down. Teach them a lesson. They are too dang greedy. The one show that I want to watch I will find it online. It won't kill me. They could probably drop our fees $5 and still be ahead or offer something different that more people would watch. Would be interesting if they gave everybody a movie package to compensate. More people would watch that and it might actually be something different to attract new customers and keep the existing customers.
Problem is, It will hurt Dish more than Viacom.
Most customers don't have provider loyalty.
They will go where they have to to get their programming.
IMO Charlie has used up most of its customers patients when it comes to network disputes.

It worked for Directv, because Directv doesn't have a Battle every other week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Isn't most of Nickelodeon content available elsewhere , on the Nick website, or Netflix or Hulu?

Exactly the reason DISH values having Viacom less. Seems like HBO made amends for being available online for less than the DISH subscription cost, by lowering the DISH subscription cost. Viacom will probably need to do the same.

Reactions: jegrant
Yea they wouldn't drop our fees even if they remove viacom channels.

That's pretty sad when you think about it.

A matter of fact las time Viacom went down that was a majority of the complaints.
I know. I lived it.
I think I posted this earlier.
We were actually getting service calls for "signal".....I'd get to the job and the complaint was "we're missing Nickelodeon"...Or "we can't get these channels"..
Some people got pretty darned salty. Most I was able to handle.
I walked off two of them because the customers became belligerent...i'm not going to stand by while someone rips me a new one.
There isn't enough money in it to put up with that crap...
One woman screamed at me as I walked out....LOL....She was like "what are my kids supposed to do!!!!!?.....
I said to myself,,,,Hey lady..they are your kids. You made 'em. If you don't know what to do by now, you shouldn't be a parent

Problem is, It will hurt Dish more than Viacom.
Most customers don't have provider loyalty.
They will go where they have to to get their programming.
IMO Charlie has used up most of its customers patients when it comes to network disputes.

It worked for Directv, because Directv doesn't have a Battle every other week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Viacom doesn't have that kind of clout. Maybe a few thousand people will churn..Most will stamp their feet and deal with it....

Thanks man. I admit Im somewhat old school in that im not really into netflix, you tube and streaming stuff. I dont watch videos on my phone. I have a iphone 5s and that is more than enough for me. Im sure I could find Spongebob somewhere if they did pull the channels its just that TV just is not that big of deal in my house. To clarify my son would be ticked but Im not going to call anyone to complain or be irrate about it. I would just tell my son he would need to watch something else, find something better to do, or we can go find it on you tube on the computer. Point is it just is not as big of deal to me as to other people it seems. Sorry if it came off different in my last post.

We watch a lot of Viacom channels. I will be PO'd if I just got a monthly fee increase, reupped for 2 years, and they pull a lot of channels we watch.

We watch a lot of Viacom channels. I will be PO'd if I just got a monthly fee increase, reupped for 2 years, and they pull a lot of channels we watch.
If dropped, they will eventually get them back...when The Price is Right!

Mike, but the rates did go down..... on the premiums... To answer your "If they get dropped, our rates don't go down" remark.. to be fair, when the channel is renewed for a higher price, they do not go up until the next year as well.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)