DISH Network Charges Forward With Another Round of National HD Channel Launches

I don't think so. I think they will put them in the 250 pack. I have Ultimate HD and I don't get Science or Nat. Geo. in HD (or SD). The Ultimate is the Essential plus VOOM, it doesn't include all HD. I hope I am wrong and they are added to the UltimateHD.

You should have Science Channel and Nat Geo in the 250 package. That is what I have, I dropped the Ultimate and upgraded to the 250 a while back. Check your "All Sub" guide or "All HD" guide.

I don't think so. I think they will put them in the 250 pack. I have Ultimate HD and I don't get Science or Nat. Geo. in HD (or SD). The Ultimate is the Essential plus VOOM, it doesn't include all HD. I hope I am wrong and they are added to the UltimateHD.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. You don't get Science of NG because they have SD counterparts that are not in your basic SD package.

Smithsonian and MGM are HD only, and AFAIK all of the HD-only channels are currently in the Ultimate. Name one that isn't. Doesn't make sense to start adding HD only to basic SD packages, I wouldn't think. :)

okeedokee. :rolleyes:

Now how exactly would we get to see what HD content they do have, and new HD as it is rolled out, IF WE DONT HAVE THE CHANNELS to start with?!?!?

You're primary viewing is a 12" B&W TV w/ rabbit ears at home, isn't it? :D Don't need any of this new fangled stuff, right?

Actually, if I'm going to PAY extra for HD, I'd like it to be HD. If more than half of the programming is not native HD than don't charge me anything extra for it. I know when you are all drinking the Kool Aid it's hard to come to terms with reality. Enjoy those grainy "HD" movies, and all of the Full House eps in "HD".
:D

BigThrust,

Its Dish policy. The only channels are available to Dish Subs with the Essential HD ($10) are channels that have a SD counterpart. Neither Smithsonian HD nor MGM HD have a SD counterpart, thus they will only be available in the Ultimate HD package, or to subs with the HD only package.

John
HD Theatre(Discovery), MHD and HDNet are exceptions to that. You get these three HD-Only channels in the dishHD Essentials packages.

Ah, but since you can't get the EI package or Sunday Ticket with E* doesn't make much sence to count them as national especially since they are only on for games (which you can't get out of area).

Other than pro games which are blacked out, RSNs are national. Dish had the college football games on RSNs last season. If they would carry those HD RSNs full time, you'd get all sorts of local highlight shows, pre/post game stuff, etc

BigThrust,

Its Dish policy. The only channels are available to Dish Subs with the Essential HD ($10) are channels that have a SD counterpart. Neither Smithsonian HD nor MGM HD have a SD counterpart, thus they will only be available in the Ultimate HD package, or to subs with the HD only package.

John

Good point....but...

HDNet does NOT have an SD counterpart

MHD does not have a direct SD counterpart

I see what you are saying, but will believe it when I see it. Unless you have an official statement from Dish proving your assumptions, then you and I are doing nothing but speculating. So stating that SmithsonianHD and MGMHD will or will not be in the HD essentials is pure speculation at this time.

BigThrust,

John

There are HD channels currently in the Essentials that don't have a SD counterpart so why are you so sure which package they will be in?

If you have the AT250 pkg, and you previously had the "gold" pkg, then you likely have the HD Ultimate package. And would therefore get Smithsonian and MGM in HD.

Actually, if I'm going to PAY extra for HD, I'd like it to be HD. If more than half of the programming is not native HD than don't charge me anything extra for it. I know when you are all drinking the Kool Aid it's hard to come to terms with reality. Enjoy those grainy "HD" movies, and all of the Full House eps in "HD".
:D

The irony here is that my wife will actually be excited to watch Full House again. She loves 80's sitcoms (child of the eighties) and didn't want me switching to the HD Only pack because of this.

I think this addition is huge because it really has something for everyone. I'd be surprised to find one Dish customer who isn't excited for at least one of these stations. It is a very wide range of programming.

And we all understand that all the content isn't HD. Unfortunately you can't understand that it's good to have the channels, so as HD content is added, we can enjoy it.

You're talking about two different cases. One has to do with piracy and the other (which we are concerned with) has to do with which teir Fox channels are placed in per agreement. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong.

You are correct. I do not think at this point the piracy case is entering into it. There will be a verdict in that case sometime ... wait for it ... soon. And then the losing side will appeal and it could drag on for years. It is only for monetary damages and there is no urgency on either side to settle, really.

The case that matters is the one where Fox is suing Dish for taking Fox News off of AT100. Additionally, Fox wants Dish to carry Fox Business in SD and HD.

Unfortunately for those of us who want Speed, FX, etc., there is no urgency to settling this one, either, until the other shoe drops.

That shoe is the contract between Dish and the Fox owned and operated local stations. When that comes up, you can bet that Fox will be using that like a sledgehammer over Dish's head since Fox carries NFC games in all the top markets and there is no way Dish could handle being without those. Can you imagine Dish having to explain to it's Chicago customers why it's not carrying the Bears games, or explaining to it's New York customers why there are no Giants games, etc.?

So, when that contract comes up for renewal Dish will get all of the Fox Channels in HD, and customers will get a stiff price increase.

Anyone know when that contract is up?

The irony here is that my wife will actually be excited to watch Full House again. She loves 80's sitcoms (child of the eighties) and didn't want me switching to the HD Only pack because of this.

My wife's the same way. I asked her a while back what she really watches because I was wanting to switch to the HD only pack. She said "We watch Home Improvement on Nickelodeon."

You guys are getting all wet about all of these HD channels. Do you really think all of these channels are HD? Or just feeding SD to a big screen and calling it HD? How can all of these channels have already amassed HD libraries? Biography HD? ABC Family HD? Can't wait to see all those Full House episodes in HD! All of those Bravo reality shows are shot in SD. Are you guys on crack? This whole HD rush is a total sham and you are falling for it hook line and sinker. Every major cable network is B.S. ing you on HD content. Direct has been lying for over a year and now Dish is doing the same and you are all gushing over it. Wake up!

WOW, really??? I think I'll just sell my HDTVs!!! :rolleyes:

"And then the losing side will appeal and it could drag on for years. It is only for monetary damages and there is no urgency on either side to settle, really."

Actually, to appeal, don't they have to post a bond for the full amount? And interest? This is in addition to attorney costs. So maybe not urgency, but there is incentive.

- - - - -

Post #1 puts 5 Star Max at 381. Google into Zap and you get 314. The Dish Network Channel Chart shows 314.

Might I safely "assume" that 314 is an SD channel, but 381 as an HD channel will have the same schedule?

YEEEE HAAAWWW!!!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Most have been waiting on baited breath every Wenesday for the uplinks and we just keep reading about all the new HD go up but nothing coming down to us. :( Finally -- maybe a little redemption for the big E*!:D

Just one small question -- are they also going to turn on all the local HD they uplinked to 61.5 and 129? My locals (Raleigh) were uplinked to 61.5 almost a month ago and I have been waiting for them to turn them on. Anybody got an answer to that?:)

You are correct. I do not think at this point the piracy case is entering into it. There will be a verdict in that case sometime ... wait for it ... soon. And then the losing side will appeal and it could drag on for years. It is only for monetary damages and there is no urgency on either side to settle, really.

The case that matters is the one where Fox is suing Dish for taking Fox News off of AT100. Additionally, Fox wants Dish to carry Fox Business in SD and HD.

Unfortunately for those of us who want Speed, FX, etc., there is no urgency to settling this one, either, until the other shoe drops.

That shoe is the contract between Dish and the Fox owned and operated local stations. When that comes up, you can bet that Fox will be using that like a sledgehammer over Dish's head since Fox carries NFC games in all the top markets and there is no way Dish could handle being without those. Can you imagine Dish having to explain to it's Chicago customers why it's not carrying the Bears games, or explaining to it's New York customers why there are no Giants games, etc.?

So, when that contract comes up for renewal Dish will get all of the Fox Channels in HD, and customers will get a stiff price increase.

Anyone know when that contract is up?

A "Well-rounded" reponse which I happen to agree with. If Dish is to keep up, they have to repond to customer demand at some point....wait for it, why not "soon!" If they don't, the churn will be so bad all they will have left is the butter. :D

You guys are getting all wet about all of these HD channels. Do you really think all of these channels are HD? Or just feeding SD to a big screen and calling it HD? How can all of these channels have already amassed HD libraries? Biography HD? ABC Family HD? Can't wait to see all those Full House episodes in HD! All of those Bravo reality shows are shot in SD. Are you guys on crack? This whole HD rush is a total sham and you are falling for it hook line and sinker. Every major cable network is B.S. ing you on HD content. Direct has been lying for over a year and now Dish is doing the same and you are all gushing over it. Wake up!

:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

Yup, We're all a bunch of HD crack whores:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts