Dish Network desperate to raise money to meet 5G deadline, source says

My understanding of a DTV and Dish merger would be that either the DTV customers would all have to get new equipment, or the Dish people would all need new equipment, as neither one is compatable with the other. And no one would be willing to re-equip millions of customers all at once.
Initially operating both systems as is would be the most logical approach. Next would come programming consolidation, finally followed by equipment transitions. That transition could be spread over several years.

Initially operating both systems as is would be the most logical approach. Next would come programming consolidation, finally followed by equipment transitions. That transition could be spread over several years.
I suppose. I wonder who would have to switch equipment though? I'm not giving up my Hopper for a genie! LOL

They would need to get down to one satellite fleet, one uplink protocol and one set of customer equipment. Doubt the equipment has much resale value and the cost to combine the two companies would be substantial. I just don't see any good scenario here. Add on less people want to pay for TV and the people that do are dying off.

If I was being forced to change to DTV hardware, I would cancel in an instant.

Actually, by then, I could be dead (will there be CyberTrucks in the afterlife?) or have moved away from Dish. But I suspect Dish has some tricks yet to play that might turn things around.

Reactions: charlesrshell
why exactly do they need a 5g network? there losing money from main business as it is
Many years ago Charlie won some new frequencies and has to do something with them...Some talk was cell service, the other 5g network...A search around here would turn up when all this was going down.

why exactly do they need a 5g network? there losing money from main business as it is
The original idea is to become an all in one provider. Video services, Internet, streaming, home security, and wireless telephone.

It’s a good idea on paper but taking a $30 million hit from a cyber attack and trying to make this happen when the video services part is dying and the wireless telephone part can never keep up with the biggest providers might not have been a great idea at this time. five years ago, 10 years ago? Absolutely but now, those business models have changed.

The original idea is to become an all in one provider. Video services, Internet, streaming, home security, and wireless telephone.

It’s a good idea on paper but taking a $30 million hit from a cyber attack and trying to make this happen when the video services part is dying and the wireless telephone part can never keep up with the biggest providers might not have been a great idea at this time. five years ago, 10 years ago? Absolutely but now, those business models have changed.
His ace in the hole is having that license. Now the big picture wont pan out, but im sure those frequencies are worth a nice little bundle! Just no long term cash flow

His ace in the hole is having that license. Now the big picture wont pan out, but im sure those frequencies are worth a nice little bundle! Just no long term cash flow
While they are ( no idea how much), the problem is still with the credit markets pretty much frozen , there are not too many options for a buyer, the money crunch is a issue for everyone, not just Dish.

It will all work out ok in the end
As the old saying goes - If you owe the bank $100, you got a problem. If you owe the bank $1,000,000,000, the bank has a problem

The lenders do not know how to nor are interested in owning or running or selling off a wi fi or satellite company. They just want to protect most of their income stream.

When it all settles down, the financiers will tie themselves into knots and then refinance the loans rolling over.

Why? Because kicking the can down the street and extending repayment is highly likely least expensive solution to protect their money.

My understanding of a DTV and Dish merger would be that either the DTV customers would all have to get new equipment, or the Dish people would all need new equipment, as neither one is compatable with the other. And no one would be willing to re-equip millions of customers all at once.
Or simply they would have to keep separate operations and space segment in place, and forego any benefit of consolidating that. They're stuck. No wonder Charlie's betting the ranch on 5G.

As far as the mobile user, 5G's only benefit is data speed. If you're not a user of data-intense apps, it's of no incremental benefit, or even a performance negative.

Many years ago Charlie won some new frequencies and has to do something with them.
what is many years ago? 2 ~3 year? 5~7 years 10+? I know the been trying to get in to internet proving but that been going for decades and it gone no where.

I all honestly i rather Dish does something no else is will to do. let individual pick 50~100~150 etc channels of there choice. 99% all channels in my package 250 are not watch by anyone, it just only package that has all the channels that actual are watched. Literately if i listed all channels that actual watched it would be less then 50 channels and pay 1$ per channel for 100% channels watched is way better then paying 130$ for 250 package where less then 50 of channels are actual watched. but this another can of worms.

Dish losing customers not gaining them, and there increasing prices arnt helping and them losing moneys threw other ventures just making things worse.

what is many years ago? 2 ~3 year? 5~7 years 10+? I know the been trying to get in to internet proving but that been going for decades and it gone no where.

I all honestly i rather Dish does something no else is will to do. let individual pick 50~100~150 etc channels of there choice. 99% all channels in my package 250 are not watch by anyone, it just only package that has all the channels that actual are watched. Literately if i listed all channels that actual watched it would be less then 50 channels and pay 1$ per channel for 100% channels watched is way better then paying 130$ for 250 package where less then 50 of channels are actual watched. but this another can of worms.

Dish losing customers not gaining them, and there increasing prices arnt helping and them losing moneys threw other ventures just making things worse.
It has to be at least 5 years ago.....Just use the search here we talked about it a lot!

• Dish's EchoStar purchased 700 MHz E Block spectrum in 2008 in the FCC's auction of those radio waves.
  • In the summer of 2011 Dish spent $2.77 billion to acquire 40 MHz of S-band satellite spectrum from bankrupt TerreStar and DBSD North America.