This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish Network Expands Local High Definition Markets

Any sign of Rochester, NY in HD? I see that Syracuse has been uplinked.

Rochester NY is outside of any Spotbeams from Echostar12. I'd doubt we see Rochester NY HD locals this year.

Even though Syracuse is a smaller city than Rochester. Syracuse's Local Affiliates has larger geographic area hence more in Market viewers, and Syracuse is within a Echostar12 Spotbeam.

John

I got my 500 dish installed yesterday for the 61.5 sat. got all Cleveland,Ohio locals in hd and also picked up cnn ,what a great picture

Does anyone know when Burlington, VT gets HD locals? It is slated to go up in may but so wasn't Green Bay but yet they're up now. What's up with that?

Jerryez, I think next week might bring it. They're going all Eastern Arc-out now.

Then what is the hold up with the other major markets on the East Coast? The ones without any timeline at all? Jacksonville is the 49th DMA, was promised in 2006. Still nothing.

So every other city in Florida will have HD LIL by June except Jacksonville?
Nice work Dish. You are really screwing the pooch each and every day here.....

Maybe the problem lies with the local stations. Have you contacted them to find out if they have reached a retransmission agreement with E*? Certain station owners are known to be asking way too much for retransmission rights.

Maybe the problem lies with the local stations. Have you contacted them to find out if they have reached a retransmission agreement with E*? Certain station owners are known to be asking way too much for retransmission rights.

So Dish has had an issue getting retransmission rights since 2006?
When Comcrap has all the local channels in HD since 2006, DirecTV added them 1 year ago (except CW and PBS).

For ABC/NBC there is one owner to deal with.
CBS/FOX is one owner as well in Jacksonville.

2 owners, 4 stations.
Gannett and ClearChannel. No issues with other Gannet TV or Clearchannel Stations, plenty of markets that have HD lit up for Dish.

Does anyone know when Burlington, VT gets HD locals? It is slated to go up in may but so wasn't Green Bay but yet they're up now. What's up with that?
It has been written that we(Burlington) will get HD locals next week, the 24th. They were not uplinked this week so..... we hope.

Why the Locals?

I really think Dish is missing the boat here. Pushing all the HD locals and not coming through with the nationals.

If I were interested in signing up to HD programming, I would be more concerned with the national networks not just my local market. Having local HD and not much national is not a plus for me to join.

I think if Dish does not come through by mid May with the HD, I will switch to DTV to get all the HD programming I am missing.

On the plus side. I did see an advertisement that VOOM networks will have a new channel on May 1 just for movies. So that is "one" channel for sure.

Does anyone know why dish does not keep its customers informed of it's progress. Are they just not people oriented? That is most annoying. -Ken

So Green Bay is now showing HD locals. I take it these are on a spot beam so there's no chance I can "move" to watch my beloved Packers down here in Alabama. Is this correct?

Anyone know how to get the spot beam footprint for the 61.5 satellite for the Green Bay locals: 5160-5163, 13s14 ???
Thanks, chasby

You guys are dead wrong about thinking Dish should concentrate on national over locals. By far, more people watch the four networks than all of cable, especially at night. Being able to say your local news/sports and network programming is available in HD far outweighs saying you can see CNN or FOX in HD. I'm of course not saying Dish doesn't have to get the national HD's also, but the draw for most is the local channels.

Second, as pointed out, it is very possible some of the holdup for local HD is the agreements. In Connecticut, the local cable company (Charter) still does not have an agreement with ABC Channel 8. (Or didn't last time I looked)

Quick question -- I'm confused about the 61.5 signal. I live up in Green Bay and I have the ViP 622 receiver with the 1k.2 dish. It looks like I get 119, 110 and 129 for signals right now.

How can I get another? Would I need a second dish antenna mounted or can the DISH 1000 receive four signals at once?

I'm moving in three weeks... I haven't decided if I should try to mount and align the satellite myself or if I should call and commit again to take advantage of the DISH move advantage. My main fear is I don't want an incompetent installer drilling all over the place. The last four times I've had DISH out (three times in La Crosse WI and once in Green Bay) I have been less than impressed. I'm thinking of adding a 722 to the mix so I'll have a 622 and 722 in the house.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

TAMPA8: I fully agree with you. The Locals are very important to most people that I have talked to in my area especially since we can't get OTA HD signals.

61.5 for Columbia and other locals

I have one of the old dish 1000s that points to 129, 119, & 110. Is 61.5 the type of sat where I can point a single dish at it and be able to find/receive it?