Dish Network, I'm moving and want to upgrade

cowentz

Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
PA
I currently have Dish Network Top 120, and have a single receiver that works for one room (only receiver I could get at the time without having a house phone). I am moving to a new house and also want to have TV in 3 rooms (2 high def), I want a dvr, and also upgrade to the top 200. Is dish mover still free like it was 5 yrs ago? Also will I be able to get any incentives? Should I consider switching to DirectTV to get the benefits of being a new customer? I also considered a comcast triple play. I am just trying to figure out my best / cheapest option. Thanks

cowentz from what i was told recently to move your service you will be charged a $ 15.00 fee.. and i was told this last week, because i may be moving sometime this year. i was wondering the same thing.

Consider taking new account out in spouse's name and different credit card and I assume phone. If you have contract time you will have to consider the termination fees.
DIU has gone, I have read.

It is currently in my wifes name, and we have not changed anything since we got it 5yrs ago so I would assume I am out of contract. However I just called to find out some cost and they ask what the address of the new place would be. Do you think they put that on file? I guess I can always try to call and set up service in my name and see what happens.

Costs are $95 to move/put up new dish, $100 to upgrade my 311 to a 722 HD DVR, and $50 to add a 211 HD receiver. So I would have to pay $245 for what I want to do. Is my monthly bill being doubled (upgrading to HD, Dvr, and top 200) not enough for them?

Last edited:
I just got off the phone scheduling a move and the cost is only going to be $15, though I'm keeping my same (622) receiver for now. They said something about my being a "five star customer", whatever that means. Once I'm settled I'll probably upgrade to a 922 but that'll cost me $200 plus extra for the OTA cartridge.

I did wonder however: how much does a tech get paid for a call? I'd really like to also have them remove the old dish and pole where I was living before since I have to have it gone when the lease expires this weekend. Dish Network said CSR they'd be happy to set up a removal appointment but they couldn't have the work-order in the system at the same time as the install at the new location. Basically they want to do the new install first and then have me schedule a second appointment (again, $15) for the removal.

I'm only moving a mile, it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't have the Tech remove the 8-month old dish at the old location and install it at the new place, but that is up to them I suppose.

Do you think if I offered the Tech $40 cash that it would be a reasonable fee to take down a pole-mount installation at my old place so I can cross it off my to-do list? It would be more convenient for me but I would want to be fair to the tech.

CDH.

Directv will give a free HD DVR and HD box for being a new customer and then you can use directv refer a friend to cover the cost of HD box 3.

don't get a SD box and HD box works on SD tv's and gives you MRV and more that a SD box can't do.

i dont know who you called but the fact is the dish mover promo is FREE ,once a year ,with no commitment and the current "dish n it up" promo for the 322 is FREE with a 24 mo agreement both can scheduled at the same time with the dish mover/ upgrade promo. call dish directly or call a local independent retailer. the $15.00 is what a truck roll costs with the service plan, this is not a service call !you are not required to pay this by dish and it does not go to them. this is a practice that dish has left to the discretion of the retailer / sub. i would schedule the work and refuse to pay it

i dont know who you called but the fact is the dish mover promo is FREE ,once a year ,with no commitment and the current "dish n it up" promo for the 322 is FREE with a 24 mo agreement both can scheduled at the same time with the dish mover/ upgrade promo. call dish directly or call a local independent retailer. the $15.00 is what a truck roll costs with the service plan, this is not a service call !you are not required to pay this by dish and it does not go to them. this is a practice that dish has left to the discretion of the retailer / sub. i would schedule the work and refuse to pay it

I called the main Dish Network customer service number. I'll try calling back and seeing if they made a mistake on the $15 charge in my case, but they seemed clear I'd have to pay it.

CDH.

Yeah, I moved In January of this year and there was NO COST to me. I don't know if they changed that policy, but I would call them again. Tell them you are considering going to Direct if they can't do it for free. However, before you make a move to Direct, be sure to view the channels you'll get and TRY the DVRs. There are differing opinions on Dish v Direct DVRs and the only way you will know is to try them both.

IIRC they discontinued the free Dish Mover as of February 1st. It is now $95 without the service contract and $15 with the $6 per month service contract. Cost to cancel the service contract is $25, so $46 is the true cost with the contract. I'd go with service in your name, get the install and hardware with the 24-month commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)