DISH Network Launches Distant Networks

I submitted form on 5/22/2011 but Dish says to wait for 14 days before asking what is happening.

Since I started with Dish, I have been a full-time RVer with leased receivers, currently a VIP722K and VIP612. I don't need the ability to put my account on vacation as I always live in my trailer.

I have no use for Locals, want DNS (currently through AAD), preferably in HD.

This is a test to see if Dish really understands the RV marketplace because, so far, the rules that they have in place for DNS do not fit numerous full-time RVers who have Dish subscriptions.

They are letting you do that? My situation is pretty similar to yours and they told me I'd have to have a 2nd account in my, mostly, vacant house. I opted for the snowbird tag on my account instead.

I submitted form on 5/22/2011 but Dish says to wait for 14 days before asking what is happening.

Since I started with Dish, I have been a full-time RVer with leased receivers, currently a VIP722K and VIP612. I don't need the ability to put my account on vacation as I always live in my trailer.

I have no use for Locals, want DNS (currently through AAD), preferably in HD.

This is a test to see if Dish really understands the RV marketplace because, so far, the rules that they have in place for DNS do not fit numerous full-time RVers who have Dish subscriptions.

Good for you!! I like your thinking! Be sure to let us know what happens.

I don't know what Dish is going to do, that is why I submitted the request and am waiting to see what comes up.

But I have no house, even mostly vacant, so snowbird is an invalid status for me.

I don't know what Dish is going to do, that is why I submitted the request and am waiting to see what comes up.

But I have no house, even mostly vacant, so snowbird is an invalid status for me.

That's what I thought after hearing from others but when I explained my situation, Dish was fine with it. My DVR stays in the RV and the house is only involved if I want pay-as-you-go. I can't say that makes sense to me but that's what they said.

I too am anxious to hear how things turn out for you. If you get DNS I may just cancel my current account and start over without even mentioning I own a house.

I need to check the Junk Mail folder more often. Dish replied on the Monday after the Sunday I submitted my DNS forms.

The reply:
"[FONT=&quot]Dear Dish Network Customer,

Thank you for choosing Dish Network for your RV programming. We have reviewed your RV documentation and you have been approved for Distant Network Services. Your Distant Network Services will be activated in 10 to 14 business days. The NY Networks in Standard definition can be found on channels 8100-8120 and the High Definition of the NY Network broadcasts can be found on channels 6300-6304. LA Networks in Standard definition can be found on channels 8000-8025 and the High Definition of the Network broadcasts can be found on channels 6306-6317. If you have any questions, please contact Dish Network at 1-800-333-3474."

So now we know where the channels will be. So far, they have not been turned on in my receiver.
[/FONT]

So it would appear, if you do not have a house account, Dish will treat your RV as a regular account, with DNS added. Though, and not to throw a wet blanket on it, lets hope they actually do turn it on for your receivers.... I worry when it gets to that point they will insist on a flex account with a 211. Keep us informed, and good luck!!

I would love to switch over to DNS (I have a travel trailer I can use for the DNS documention and get great OTA reception for Harrisburg & Baltimore), but I have a leased 722 and owned 622. The problem I forsee is with the leased 722 (which was actually from a swapout of my owned 942), not to mention the xip recievers when they come out.

I supposed I can call and inquire.

Somewhat off topic, but as a "snowbird" I'm curious as to where a full time RVer gets there satellite programming? East coast feed or West coast. I spend the winter in AZ, but my regular "home" programming is East coast. Some programs that we watch at home at 9PM are not on til 11PM mountain time, which is an hour after the local news.

Since we travel the country, we use East Coast and West Coast feeds with a DVR to adjust the time zone to where we are at. We hardly watch anything live.

Somewhat off topic, but as a "snowbird" I'm curious as to where a full time RVer gets there satellite programming? East coast feed or West coast. I spend the winter in AZ, but my regular "home" programming is East coast. Some programs that we watch at home at 9PM are not on til 11PM mountain time, which is an hour after the local news.

I use whichever arc works at my current location. As a snowbird, I will call Dish and get whatever locals are available there so all times will be local. East and West Coast feeds come into play when you have DNS.

I need to check the Junk Mail folder more often. Dish replied on the Monday after the Sunday I submitted my DNS forms.

The reply:
"[FONT=&quot]Dear Dish Network Customer,

Thank you for choosing Dish Network for your RV programming. We have reviewed your RV documentation and you have been approved for Distant Network Services. Your Distant Network Services will be activated in 10 to 14 business days. The NY Networks in Standard definition can be found on channels 8100-8120 and the High Definition of the NY Network broadcasts can be found on channels 6300-6304. LA Networks in Standard definition can be found on channels 8000-8025 and the High Definition of the Network broadcasts can be found on channels 6306-6317. If you have any questions, please contact Dish Network at 1-800-333-3474."

So now we know where the channels will be. So far, they have not been turned on in my receiver.
[/FONT]

I am in the same situation as since we live full time in a motorhome. Currently we spend most of our time in Nevada. We are signed up for Las Vegas locals and also have AAD for east and west coast feeds. If we move out of the Las Vegas spot beam we call Dish and change our service address to change the locals. Since the Las Vegas spot beam covers all of Nevada we don't change the service address often. If we are going to be out of Nevada for only a short period or are moving a lot we just use the AAD channels. I have a purchased 508 and 702K in the motorhome and we like the local channels for the local news. I don't want to go to a Flex Account. Did Dish allow you to have local channels and the distant networks? Is the $5.00/mo for both coasts? Let us know how this works out for you please.

Did Dish allow you to have local channels and the distant networks? Is the $5.00/mo for both coasts? Let us know how this works out for you please.
The channels haven't turned on yet but I believe it is a safe bet that when Dish DNS gets turned on the manditory Locals I has will go away. Otherwise, Dish would be in violation of the DNS rules, a company can supply Locals or DNS but not both to the same subscriber.

Again, since Dish hasn't gotten around to actually billing the DNS, I am of the understanding that one set of DNS channels (East/West) will count as a replacement for Locals and therefore included in the package price. The second set of channels would be an additional $5. I believe that is a better deal than DirecTV.

I have check the current mapping of channels against satellites. The current maps do not show a the channels as being CONUS yet. But it does look like the East Coast ND channels are only on 61.5 following the rule that HD programs cannot be viewed prior to the local OTA broadcast of the same program.

A thought, once Dish DNS becomes known, which is questionable with the lack of information from Dish about it, I think those qualified will switch from AAD to Dish DNS for cost and at least half of the channels in HD. The question then will be how much of the AAD base will be leaving and will AAD be able to cover the costs of the transponders. Or will AAD eventually drop DNS?

I betcha there are more AAD network subs that dont qualify for the Dish DNS then do ;)
AAD had much looser rules to qualify.

Would this be like the statistics that most subscribers wanted 24/7 RSNs until Charlie said that wasn't the case. :)

Would this be like the statistics that most subscribers wanted 24/7 RSNs until Charlie said that wasn't the case. :)
nope. Getting the networks through AAD was as easy as the it was to get distants back before 06 when Dish could sell distants. Before Dish lost the ability I was one who (according to Dish) legally qualified for all distants but CBS (there is a CBS station about 40 miles away) even though I already had the Minneapolis locals. The rules were if locals were availbale no distants yet Dish ignored that rule. Hence the reason why they lost the ability back then and are treading on very thin ice with the FCC this time.
About a year ago I filled out the form on AAD's site and used the cabin address which is in the Minneapolis DMA but is pretty far away (used same address as above). They approved it with no issues. According to the new rules I dont qualify ;)