Dish network® meets 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Do you have to subscribe to a "Dish DVR Advantage" turbo package to get your RSN's?

That's the way they have presented the packages in the press release...
From the slide on the retail chat (click), it looks like as long as you sub to Turbo Silver or Turbo Gold, you can get your RSNs (however they are not in the bronze tier). It doesn't say anything on the slide about needing to sub to DVR advantage to get the RSNs.

HOWEVER, I seriously doubt the legacy HD Only (HD Abs) customers will get the RSNs come Aug 1. The way I am reading it, if you want your RSN you will have to ante up to the silver or gold pack...

I did not have time to read it all, don't know if these questions are answered:

1) Is there a breakdown for each new HD package what HDs are included? If not does anyone have a guess?

2) Are the premium HD movie channels included in any of them, or maybe just the top HD pack or none of them, one must pay extra, if so how much?

BTW, I think I was one of the first to predict the price of "HD-only" deals will go up right when another 20 or so new HDs are added:) They simply can not sustain this $29.99 pack that includes all core HDs, plus those that have no SD version.

But I think they are wrong not to have an "All-HD" pack to incude everthing in HD: core HDs, HDs without SDs, and all premium movie HDs.

Last edited:
I tried to look but could not find it. Does anyone know if any of these new channels will be on 119 or 110? Most I assume will be on 61.5 or 129. Just curious :) Thank you!!

Ok, just had this chat with an online rep, which I always take with a grain of salt. I asked what would happen to the dishHD Absolute package (current HD only package) when the TurboHD packages become available.

Her first response led me to believe that she thought TurboHD was a CHANNEL that was going to be added at some point, so I asked again.

I would not expect a CSR to know about the new packages until they are made available for customers (August 1?). I would also expect these packages to be tweaked between now and then, maybe even because of questions raised here. Then again, wth do I know?

I see these folks coming up with $40.97 for the "dish HD" (now apparently "dish Absolute") pack.

My bill is higher because of a $7/month leased receiver fee. Is this something I can get removed from my bill? I've had a 622 since soon after they were released (can't remember when!), upgraded from a 942. Am I stuck with this fee forever as an established customer? How would I go about getting it removed?

CDH.

Yeah, switch to Direct:D
I'm stuck with the $7 lease fee also, as usual the earlier adopters pay more (I upgraded from a 921 to a 622 in July 2006). I don't remember when Charlie stopped charging the lease fee but it appears we're stuck with it. I don't recall anyone saying they'd been able to successfully avoid being charged for it.

new hd channel packages

I just had this online conversation with a Dish Network customer support chat person. He basically said if you have hd only your package will stay the same. This only applies to new customers
I have a question on the new 3 tier hd only packages
I currently have the hd only package for 34.99 with locals
what happens to my package after aug 1
(03) Scott Q: Yes, I am checking this information for you.
(03) Scott Q: Please give me 2-3 minutes for this.
(03) Scott Q: Thank you for your patience.
(03) Scott Q: It will not effect your programming or billing, as this promotion is for new customers only.
(03) Scott Q: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
so I get all the channels I currently have + any new hd channels that come out for 34.99 with locals
(03) Scott Q: Yes, however you can check what ever new HD channels we be launched.
(03) Scott Q: We are constantly adding channels on a regular basis to our line up and continue to provide the widest variety of HD programming options available anywhere. We are unable to disclose what channels will be added or when due to legalities. For information regarding our HD package channel line up check out this link which will be updated as soon as any channels are added.
(03) Scott Q: Do you have any more questions for me?
I still don't get my RSN though correct?
(03) Scott Q: Yes, that is correct.

Yeah, switch to Direct:D
I'm stuck with the $7 lease fee also, as usual the earlier adopters pay more (I upgraded from a 921 to a 622 in July 2006). I don't remember when Charlie stopped charging the lease fee but it appears we're stuck with it. I don't recall anyone saying they'd been able to successfully avoid being charged for it.
You have to pay the fee on your primary receiver, while all of the new subs don't? That sucks!

I just had this online conversation with a Dish Network customer support chat person. He basically said if you have hd only your package will stay the same. This only applies to new customers
(03) Scott Q: It will not effect your programming or billing, as this promotion is for new customers only.
so I get all the channels I currently have + any new hd channels that come out for 34.99 with locals
(03) Scott Q: Yes, however you can check what ever new HD channels we be launched.
(03) Scott Q: We are constantly adding channels on a regular basis to our line up and continue to provide the widest variety of HD programming options available anywhere. We are unable to disclose what channels will be added or when due to legalities. For information regarding our HD package channel line up check out this link which will be updated as soon as any channels are added.
As an existing sub, you will not be able to sign up for one of these new metallic named packages?

New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

I'm looking to add hbo by Aug 1st...can someone explain to me what the above statement means and what I need 2 do to subscribe? thanks in advance

Csr will be clueless about this until August 1. If you saw Scott posts yesterday, the dish reps (Jim and I am not sure who the other was) at the retailer chat could not even answer many of the questions.

You have to pay the fee on your primary receiver, while all of the new subs don't? That sucks!

Yeah. I sent an email to CEO @ E* just to see what is up.

I realize that even though I paid an up-front fee for both the 942 and the 622 and then $7/month, I received a subsidized unit. But so are new customers. It is frustrating to find that if someone else were to establish new service that they'd get a lower rate simply because they didn't have Dish two or three years ago. At a certain point one might think that the lease fee could go away.

It makes me wonder if the new metallic HD-only packs would still keep that fee or whether it could disappear? But seems that even with the fee it would still be cheaper for me to keep my current rate than switch to the new plan.

Current rates:
$34.99(HD Absolute plus locals pack)+$7(lease fee)+$5.98(DVR)+$22 (premiums) = $69.97

New rates:
$59.99 (HD Gold with Platinum pack) + $22 (premiums) = $81.99

So if I have to I'll suck up the $7/month fee if I keep getting the new HD channel additions and keep my grandfathered rate.

CDH.

What a waste of new channels unless you have HBO or Starz. When they first announced the 100 channel thing on the Charlie Chat earlier in the year, they showed logos for F/X and Speed Channel. I guess we won't be getting those any time soon now. AND STILL NO HD LOCALS IN JACKSONVILLE, FL!!!!!!!!!!!

is almost what was originally said (I think in the Charlie Chat announcement), originally they said "Any New HD channels launched this Year, other than Premium's or RSN's, will be included in the HD package (that's the $29.99 package), at No Additional Cost"

At least that's the way I remember it...?

So who is betting we see the next HD rollouts, say January 2 or "soon" thereafter. Perhaps the big focus this time on Premiums is so they don't have to add them to existing HD Absolute customers. Next year, they will then have a big carrot for us to switch to a more expensive turbo package as they fill up their limited remain space with popular mainstream channels.

Early adopters of the Vip-622 that are stuck with the $7 a month lease fee like I was, here is what you can do and what I did. No more lease fee:

Upgrade to a Vip-722 under the Dish'n It Up promotion. It cost me $75 plus sales tax upfront to get the 722 delivered and install it myself. In about 11 months I break even costs wise. After that I'll be saving the $7 a month lease fee. Now I have a black box instead of silver and more recording capacity.

What a waste of new channels unless you have HBO or Starz. When they first announced the 100 channel thing on the Charlie Chat earlier in the year, they showed logos for F/X and Speed Channel. I guess we won't be getting those any time soon now. AND STILL NO HD LOCALS IN JACKSONVILLE, FL!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, Lifetime and LMN are two of the most popular cable favorite channels. From a business standpoint, adding these two HD channels will keep their largely underserved female customers happy.

Unfortunately, Lifetime and LMN are two of the most popular cable favorite channels. From a business standpoint, adding these two HD channels will keep their largely underserved female customers happy.

The female customers are "underserved" because (and I firmly believe this) they do not care as much as men about watching their programs in HD. It isn't as important to them as it is for men. Many of the women I know don't watch the HD versions of the channels they do get. I have told my mother-in-law many times that she gets A&E HD and TNT HD, yet she is constantly tuned to the SD version of the channels and is happy with the pq. I have seen many examples like these with females. They just aren't aware as much or appreciate HD the way men do. How often do you see a woman alone at the electronics store drooling over the HD televisions? But watch out when they open a new Saks, Macy's, Talbots or whatever.

I am not much of a sports fan (except for hockey and a little football) but we can thank sports fans (mainly men) for the growth in sales of HD TVs as much as we have seen. First came sports in HD (and the late night talk shows), network programming, and then many channels aimed at men, including some of the most popular cable channels. It is only logical that they would go HD with any popular cable channel, eventually. Lifetime is very popular, but I honestly don't think women care as much (in general) about HD and that is why this popular channel's HD version hasn't been carried by too many providers or demanded much yet.

I think them adding Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network in HD is more about being one of the few providers that actually do carry them. That is a selling point. And sure, there are some women that care and they will catch a few new subscribers.

The female customers are "underserved" because (and I firmly believe this) they do not care as much as men about watching their programs in HD. It isn't as important to them as it is for men. Many of the women I know don't watch the HD versions of the channels they do get. I have told my mother-in-law many times that she gets A&E HD and TNT HD, yet she is constantly tuned to the SD version of the channels and is happy with the pq. I have seen many examples like these with females. They just aren't aware as much or appreciate HD the way men do. How often do you see a woman alone at the electronics store drooling over the HD televisions? But watch out when they open a new Saks, Macy's, Talbots or whatever.

I am not much of a sports fan (except for hockey and a little football) but we can thank sports fans (mainly men) for the growth in sales of HD TVs as much as we have seen. First came sports in HD (and the late night talk shows), network programming, and then many channels aimed at men, including some of the most popular cable channels. It is only logical that they would go HD with any popular cable channel, eventually. Lifetime is very popular, but I honestly don't think women care as much (in general) about HD and that is why this popular channel's HD version hasn't been carried by too many providers or demanded much yet.

I think them adding Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network in HD is more about being one of the few providers that actually do carry them. That is a selling point. And sure, there are some women that care and they will catch a few new subscribers.

I bet in a lot of households it is the man that wants the HD, the the wife controls the checkbook. Adding the Lifetime networks will give those men some more ammo the get wifey-poo to OK an HD purchase. From that standpoint, adding these channels is a smart buisness decision. Also, with the new packages, many wives may not be willing to switch without a female-oriented network like Lifetime.

I bet in a lot of households it is the man that wants the HD, the the wife controls the checkbook. Adding the Lifetime networks will give those men some more ammo the get wifey-poo to OK an HD purchase. From that standpoint, adding these channels is a smart buisness decision. Also, with the new packages, many wives may not be willing to switch without a female-oriented network like Lifetime.
I can honestly say that I am the HD watcher and my wife is the book keeper. Ironically, she controls the finances even though I am a math teacher...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)