This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

This is a major reason why I'm so disappointed in these fees. $4 for converting a SD output to HD is doable. $11 isn't.
Even more sad, is that the majority of households are at most 2-3 TV hookups anyway, as far as HD TVs go. The fee structure for the Hopper is basically sticker shock for them to just upgrade their SD connection(s) to HD. The only ones who come close, break even or even see a price decrease are the high end fringe customers. Dish should not expect any kind of mass adoption of the Hopper from their existing customers.

Last edited:
Sadly, charging $7 for the first Joey makes it more likely that Dish will charge $7 for the second tuner iin a dual tuner box in the future.

And let the new rumor begin!!!

Sad that DISH has chosen to once again put their FEE Revenue before their customer's needs again. This hopper/joey system could of been the turn around for DISH to start gaining subs once again ,instead of losing them just about ever quarter for the last 4 years. Just imagine how many they could of added if the first Joey had been free or the joeys had been say $5.00 instead of $7.00. I don't see many people wanting this system ,once they see how much they have to pay in fees BEFORE they factor in the price of basic programming. So $10.00 dvr/Mrv fee for ever Hopper,regardless if you have a joey in it or not, and if you want two joeys- $14.00 (2 x $7.00) , so $24.00 total. So already I'm paying $4.00 more for the hopper setup , than I'm paying for the Vip 722k + two 211ks with dvr software. IF you wanted 3 joeys for 4 tvs in your home , you are looking at $31.00 just in FEES before programming. So once again DISH has proved that they are the satellite company that is the KING of made up , charge it just because we can FEES. I only see DISH continuing to lose subs after this system is released, and I don't see many here upgrading to it . I have learned through DISH beta testing , or being a sub period, that this new receiver will not function a it should and it will be months or never, before it will . By then they will be on to the next best thing that DISH can market as "cutting edge technology". I have to say I'm very disappointed in DISH. I was really hoping that they would of learned from the 922 debacle that not many people will buy or upgrade to PAY more in FEES over their programming. People are cutting the cord over the price of programming alone, can't they see that the added FEES are just going to make subs want to cut the cord MORE?

Sadly, charging $7 for the first Joey makes it more likely that Dish will charge $7 for the second tuner iin a dual tuner box in the future.

Well think about this...doesn't anybody find it suspect, that E* is ONLY charging $7 for an additional (2-tuner) Hopper...which is the SAME as a tuner-less Joey???
I have a feeling this WILL be changing (for the worse) in the near future...

Considering that DISH charges $17.00 for an additional dual tuner dvr on your account with Vip series, I can only see the price of an additional hopper going up as well, AFTER you pay to upgrade to it for $199.99. They will want to milk you of that first ,then hike the price ,say a year later with another FEE increase. The last fee increase was two years ago this month ,when additional receiver fees were Spiked anywhere from $10.00 - $17.00 and the dvr fee was added to the 501/508 pvr.

DISH is the KING OF FEES.

Last edited:
I WAS eagerly awaiting the H/J. Not anymore.
1. I currently lease a 722 and a 211. They want me to buy a 2nd Hopper for $199. More up front costs. Bad move.
2. Only a promise of an ota tuner. No firm date and we know what happens when Dish says SOON. I receive 27 ota channels including a 2nd dma. Rochester NY and Syracuse NY(2nd DMA)
3. No integration between 2 Hoppers until a software up date SOON!
4. The fees. With 4 hdtv's and an old sd lcd TV that I use as a monitor in the kitchen, my equipment fees would go from $13/month up to $38.
With the way I have my system set up, I can watch the TV2 output on any of the TV's/monitor in the house and both the 722 and my 211 on the TV in my computer room. I've lived with this set up for years. All HD would have been nice, but not at what Dish wants to charge.

And let the new rumor begin!!!
Who said anything about starting rumors? I just mentioned that it would be more likely, not that this was going to happen. But let's look at this. Dish is charging $4 extra for Whole Home dvr service even if you only have one tv hooked up with no additional stbs. At least with the 922, you had the Sling Adaptor built in and could use it if you wanted. With the Hopper, you can only connect it to one tv and to Joey's. Without any Joey's there is no logical explanation why there is a WHDVR fee. Well except it being another "because we can" fee. Using this logic, why shouldn't customers pay for an additonal outlet fee on their dual stbs? Like I said, it doesn't mean that this fee will happen. Just that there is a greater likelyhood of it occuring.

There has been a lot of comparison by me and others comparing a Hopper+Joey to a 722+211.

It has been said that the Hopper+Joey is the FUTURE of Dish.

It has also been said that the Hopper+Joey has ... new tech ... sharing ... faster ... bla bla bla.

With that being said ... this is not 2003 in the middle of the boom ... folks are letting their wallets speak MUCH more now.

To me ... they should have priced a single Hopper+Joey the same as a 722+211. This would/may entice more people to flip to the new tech. This would have the added bonus of folks saying "Hey ... look at my new Dish equipment!" ... and then by word of mouth potentially get new subs that way.

The $4 whole home fee for just a single Hopper is lame too. With my 722 I can distribute to unlimited SD ... what incentive does one have to get a Hopper? With a 722 I have OTA ... with a Hopper it has 3 satellite tuners. I live fine without PTA now ... I don't need a faster guide ... so what incentive do I have to switch to a Hopper?

Oh ... and Dish chat has told me that I can get a 211 no charge. With a Hopper+Joey ... I am guessing I would have to pay the $99 as I only have the AT120 package. Again ... why would I switch to a Hopper+Joey?

My basic argument ... if Hopper+Joey is truly the future of Dish ... they need to price it the same as current tech ... people will have no choice but to switch.

I can't believe how many people are getting upset over this. It's quite humorous actually. Why are so many of you offended by the new system. You do not have to get it if you don't want to. For the people complaining about how their bill would go up $4 if they switched to the Hopper I feel you're a little touched in the head. You don't think having DVR integration for all of you HDTVs worth $4? Why would the Hopper system be cheaper or the same price as your current setup? It's suppose to be an upgrade to what you have. Usually something that is better cost a little more. I wouldn't expect to get a higher end TV for the same price as the entry level model.

I will say that I thought the prices may be slightly better than this but overall I still feel it's a good deal compairing it to the competition. Lets not overeact people.

is all this bitching about the fees for the Hopper/Joey really necessary.

I currently have two DVR's, yes only two.
If I upgrade to the Hopper, either getting a Hopper/Joey combo or getting two Hoppers my fees will go DOWN $10 every month.
So the fees for the Hopper/Joey are much better. And I will be able to watch any recording without having to use an ehd to transfer it..

I have one DVR, 2 rooms. All I wanted to do was get HD in my second room from a single DVR, independent of TV1. My fees will triple. Yes, it's necessary.

All they have to do is drop the first Joey $7 fee and 90% of these complaints will disappear.

Yes, "usually something that is better is a little more"...not 3x more for most subs.

I have one DVR, 2 rooms. All I wanted to do was get HD in my second room from a single DVR, independent of TV1. My fees will triple. Yes, it's necessary.

OK, sorry, but I'm calling you on this. One part of your bill almost triples. What counts is the whole bill. How much does your bill go up? Not even close to triple, as a whole.

I'm calling you back. Quit changing my words. I never said bill, I said FEES.

Would it be worth it to you to pay $132 a year just to get an independent HD signal to a 2nd room from the same DVR?

You forgot to apply the $4.00 whole home fee, but still, you're down $6.00 a month.

You forgot to apply the $4.00 whole home fee, but still, you're down $6.00 a month.

No, I included that fee.
$6 dvr +$4 whole home + $7 additional = $17
currently $10 dvr + $17 additional = $27
savings = $10

OK, sorry, but I'm calling you on this. One part of your bill almost triples. What counts is the whole bill. How much does your bill go up? Not even close to triple, as a whole.

They've been talking about the fees. The fees go from $6 per month to $17 per month. Or getting HD to the second HDTV costs an additional $11 per month plus the $99 cost of upgrade. Each must decide what it's worth to them. Obviously, one can get HD to the second set for another $7 under the ViP system and they seem generous in giving out the 211s these days. Is the integration of recordings worth another $4 per month? It is to some and not others. As someone else said, the whole thing would mostly disappear if Dish had continued with a basic two TV install at the package price. C'est la vie! Unfortunately.

Top 200: $60 + DVR: $6 + Whole House DVR: $4 + 3 Joeys: $21 = $91 a month or $1,092 per year.

OUCH! I think I'll sock that money into a 401K for retirement someday and keep my VIP722 with the Welcome Package or just watch OTA and FTA satellite for free.