Dish Network Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2007

What exactly does this online thing do that we don't already have now? I read earlier at least one member was already using this online feature?
Video on Demand... Some movie you want to see but its not playing chances are you can watch it via DishOnline.

Its not quite like the cable companies VOD service yet, but they are making progress.

Wow, lot's of cool stuff coming! Now, let the bitching begin, where's this channel, where's that channel. Come on let's get it over with. ;)
Well, considering that in the Presentation slides shown, they list 33 Markets in HD but ours is only 1/2 there (only 2 of the 4 HD channels are on DISH). I wish someone with inside connections to DISH could find out what's really keeping our CBS and FOX affiliate off DISH in HD. D* got them around the last Superbowl.....

I didn't see any dates for Dish Online or Ext HD, but I'm hoping for August, but expecting September.
They (Actually Leslie Harper) said it would be available in August
You do know what once you start accumulating ext HD shows, that you'll be Dish's bitch forever?
Yup if you leave Dish and have lots of recordings all those recievings will be lost forever.

Charlie is no dummy, even though he sometimes plays one on TV. :)

The worst part, is that I bet that even if you return to Dish after leaving that the recordings may still not be viewable on your "new" account.

Look, I'm the king of skeptics when it comes to Setanta (going way back to last year about this time). We all know (kstuart no less than anyone else) that nothing's done with Dish until it's announced. We can try and rationalize all we want about why they didn't say anything but it's pure speculation (and wishful thinking). Also, as has been observed, uplinking doesn't mean carriage.

The above said, let's not go overboard the other way. Let's wait and see, at least for another few weeks. If nothing is announced by then it will be clear that we can't depend on Setanta being available on E*.

=NLK=

WOW!

I just got confirmation from a very reliable source at DISH. Setanta will be on August 1st!

Last edited:
I hate to be a crabby complainer but as a subscriber to AT100, Dish HD, and Starz, I already hate the fact that I don't get National Geographic HD (I get everything else except HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax HDs, but I already get them with cable).
So having only AT100, I'll be getting only MHD, Discover HD, TLC HD, History Channel HD, but I won't be getting Animal Planet HD, Science Channel HD, Golf/Versus HD,

Since I already have MHD (which sucks really bad) and Golf/Versus HD with Bright House cable, I am really only getting three new channels.

I guess I can add Animal Planet HD and Science Channel HD to the list of channels I can't get along with National Geographic HD.

What a bummer!

I guess it is cool for those that have the AT250.

Pardon my ignorance, as I am a TV lover not a TV expert. What does map down mean?

Mapdown's map the HD channel to same channel as the SD channel.

For instance Food Network is 110 Food HD is 94XX. The mapdown also shows FOOD HD at 110 so you'll see the HD channel at it's normal space.

I hate to be a crabby complainer but as a subscriber to AT100, Dish HD, and Starz, I already hate the fact that I don't get National Geographic HD (I get everything else except HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax HDs, but I already get them with cable).
So having only AT100, I'll be getting only MHD, Discover HD, TLC HD, History Channel HD, but I won't be getting Animal Planet HD, Science Channel HD, Golf/Versus HD,

Since I already have MHD (which sucks really bad) and Golf/Versus HD with Bright House cable, I am really only getting three new channels.

I guess I can add Animal Planet HD and Science Channel HD to the list of channels I can't get along with National Geographic HD.

What a bummer!

I guess it is cool for those that have the AT250.

I guess the question is; Why don't you drop cable and go with DISH AT250 or AEP pak?

I guess the question is; Why don't you drop cable and go with DISH AT250 or AEP pak?

Reason #1- Mutlichannels, I get every HBO, SHOWTIME, and CINEMAX multichannel they make, and their western feeds. Dish only has a few of each pay service.

Reason #2- Local channels in HD (and yes I have an OTA HD antenna as backup)

Reason #3- HBO/SHOWTIME/CINEMAX and everything else they serve up On Demand

I have to have both Bright House and Dish to get what I want. Bright House doesn't have a bad selection of HD, but nowhere near what DISH has. I like Monsters HD and some of the other Voom. Bright House is slow to add new, although we have had Versus/Golf since before the hockey playoffs and MHD since spring (both before Dish).

Also, the Bright House DVRs pretty much suck. I like the 622 with Dish a lot better.

Next Leslie tells us that the Ethernet ports on the 622 and 722 soon will be in use as they will also be launching DISHonline!
In addition IP callback (which will allow the receiver to call home without a phoneline and order PPV as well without a phoneline) plus you can program your 622 or 722 from DishOnline.COM!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the importance of this, but isn't this a really awesome announcement for those of us with no land lines? That is, assuming they'll let us use ethernet in lieu of pots to waive the $5 charge.

I'm a big fan of HD and all, but for me the biggest announcement is the use of the 622 via ethernet and dishonline.com. Being able to program your 622 at work is great. Now if they would just reverse this and add a "watch now" like netflix to dishonline.com, I could watch my 622 at work via dishonline.com (similar to a slingbox). I think the technology is there to make it happen.

I'm a big fan of HD and all, but for me the biggest announcement is the use of the 622 via ethernet and dishonline.com. Being able to program your 622 at work is great. Now if they would just reverse this and add a "watch now" like netflix to dishonline.com, I could watch my 622 at work via dishonline.com (similar to a slingbox). I think the technology is there to make it happen.

Speaking of Slingbox.. I have both an original Slingbox and Slingbox Pro... I mainly use them for my security cameras but I occasionally use them for my cable DVR, but I can't get the Dish 622 to work with the Slingbox. I assume it is because it uses a radio frequency for the remote. It sure would be nice to be able to change the channels and use the damn thing remotely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)