DISH Network Statement on STELA Certification

Great...maybe this means that Dish will be able to give me the SV channels I already get in SD in HD (being they are uplinked and available in the primary market) so I can ditch AAD.

Heck, I'd even love getting my hands on CW again, not that I ever watch anything on that network...

Dish has not committed to HD in all markets, just SD. So, you may or may not see HD in your market.

Great...maybe this means that Dish will be able to give me the SV channels I already get in SD in HD (being they are uplinked and available in the primary market) so I can ditch AAD.

the way its been working is unless your legit locals are in HD the Sig viewed ones wont be in HD in your market

So even an example like here in Mankato MN where NBC & ABC are SV and available in HD for Minneapolis, since Mankato's legit locals (CBS and FOX) are not in HD they can't get the others in HD

So even an example like here in Mankato MN where NBC & ABC are SV and available in HD for Minneapolis, since Mankato's legit locals (CBS and FOX) are not in HD they can't get the others in HD

I've been locking horns on this for the last few weeks. E* was 100% standing by the fact that the FCC would not allow them to allow me to have the channels I was getting in SD, in HD as they were not "my locals."

They always end their emails with, "This is not our policy but FCC rules and regulations."

I am just wondering if this takes the air out of their argument (which was really moot to begin with being these are SV channels.)

It looks to me like now it is just an internal E* decision and nothing to do with the FCC.

If I have the equipment and they have the channel on a bird that I can spy, there should be no reason I can not get a channel I am already getting in SD, in HD - as far as I am concerned and it would seem as far as the FCC is concerned.

So this has become less of a legal issue and more of a customer service issue, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydan
My DMA is Reno.Nv.,I live in Ca. Does this mean I could get Ca. channels without "Moving"?

Iceberg:
We have talked about this offline. Representative Salazar's office in Durango, CO says it's biggest complaint is from Colorado Four Corners residents wanting Colorado Stations and not Albuquerque, NM stations. Salazar is talking with the FCC about changing the DMA.
It makes no sense. If you have cable or satellite and the only channels you can get are those that are only allowed by the DMA, then yes those are the significantly view stations. That is a "Catch 22". I have been told I could put up an antenna, but why go through the time and cost when I have Dish.

Danny

lake charles, la fox 29

Dish is in a contract dispute with fox in this dma. Can they now import Fox from another nearby DMA (Beaumont, Alexandria or Lafayette) or from NY or LA?

Bluefield/Beckley DMA - no ABC, can we get other?

]I live in the Bluefield/Beckley, WV DMA. The ABC station for this area has been in dispute with DISH, and has not ever been made available.

Can people in my DMA call DISH and choose another ABC station? I don't care if it's NY, LA, or one of the surrounding DMA's. People here are paying for ABC, so does this mean that we can choose another since WOAY-ABC won't sign on with DISH?

Another question. I actually live in Virginia, and would rather have stations from Virginia instead of West Virginia. Will this STELA certification for DISH allow me to do that? If so, that would be great!

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
and with the fill ins completing all markets they wouldn't need the All American Direct option and could stop leasing out 2 transponders.

I'm wondering if that isn't right around the corner. I purchase the New York and San Francisco SD networks each September from ABC, CBS and FOX (keep NBC SF all the time). I do this because of the college football and NFL seasons. Anyways, I normally pay the six-month rate and just let it expire when it is over.

I was warned by the CSR today, though, that if for "some reason" they should no longer be able to offer these networks that I could stop payment for the next month by simply calling or it would be stopped automatically should the service not be offered any longer.

As far as the six month or yearly deal goes: If I cancel early or something like that happens, I'm at a loss for the money and will not be offered a refund. Regardless, I guess I can just call in now and cancel at the end of the NFL season. As far as the NBC I pay yearly for, I guess I'm at a loss if it is no longer offered when next May rolls around (as that is when I normally renew it).

Will we be able to purchase a FOX or CBS from the alternate coast if we can provide something like an RV waiver, etc?

]I live in the Bluefield/Beckley, WV DMA. The ABC station for this area has been in dispute with DISH, and has not ever been made available.

Can people in my DMA call DISH and choose another ABC station? I don't care if it's NY, LA, or one of the surrounding DMA's. People here are paying for ABC, so does this mean that we can choose another since WOAY-ABC won't sign on with DISH?

no. If the local station has a dispute you CANNOT get another of that affiliate through Dish

I actually live in Virginia, and would rather have stations from Virginia instead of West Virginia.
There is a thing called "moving", which is not actually moving but rather telling Dish you have a service address in the desired DMA. My advice: "move" to Roanoke.

Last edited:
"Moving"

There is a thing called "moving", which is not actually moving but rather telling Dish you have a service address in the desired DMA. My advice: "move" to Roanoke.

Is there a website or other source of information that I could use to find out where to "move" to?

It seems that every link that I googled requires a fee or software that I don't have in order to find the dma for a given zip code (or vice-versa)

Even if you could have different 'physical' and 'mailing' addresses in their computer system, wouldn't they know my 'physical' location based on the caller-id of my phone line?

Thanks,
Dave

You don't like my Roanoke, VA idea? Try TheList! tab at the top of this page, then click on Subscription List, and then on Dish Network Markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts