Dish Network trying to kill Pansat and Legal FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Be careful when you look to the UK as an FTA haven, they have to buy a license to operate their TV. I have read of cases of people being jailed for refusing to license their tube. Nothing is free, but the good ol' USA is as close as it gets.

The UK license fee for color sets comes to $17.38 per month, which covers the entire household, whether you have one or a hundred sets.

You're correct, nothing is free, not even here in the USA. Taxpayers do pay for television here, but in less direct ways than in the UK. The 2009 proposed budget for the FCC is $338,900,000. Part of their expenditures involve television. PBS continues to receive taxpayer funding, though nowhere near to the extent of the BBC.

I'd just like to see FTA receiver availablility remain secure. In the UK, you can get HD sets with the FTA receiver built in. It's accepted there, in a way it is not here.

A court approved document showing up unannounced asking people what they are watching on their sets is something I'd expect in Cuba, not in the USA. If the FBI can find out who hacked Sarah Palin's inbox in a few days time, why can't they find Dish's hackers, and let Dish drag their butts into court and be done with it?

So basically Charlie started up Dish Network using dirty money that he earned using hacks during the C-Band era.

DirecTV doesn't have this problem anymore. Maybe Dish should put there money into secure encryption instead of going after legitimate FTAers.

I'm sure alot of the folks on this forum have Pansats. If I'm right , Pansat's website claims to have sold about half a million digital receivers. That's alot of people to "survey". So, I wonder what the end result of this will be ?

Just a dream but... How about a class action lawsuit from legal FTAers on Dish Network :) Lets make Charlie tell all the details of all his shady business practices for all these years.

I'm sure alot of the folks on this forum have Pansats. If I'm right , Pansat's website claims to have sold about half a million digital receivers. That's alot of people to "survey". So, I wonder what the end result of this will be ?

I don't think they can force you to take any survey. It is a violation of your constitutional rights. So I don't see Charlie getting too far with this brainstorm. It just shows you how corrupt the legal system is.

Yes Im sure Pansat made quite a few pennies on the hackers buying there products. Although Charlie has no right to bother the people who use there product properly.

Charlie needs to use the dirty money he makes to secure his system and be done with it. I don't see Bell in Canada bothering the Canadian citizens with such dribble.

To answer the original question, most services (FTA) are expected to change from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4. More channels can be compressed on a transponder and lower operating cost. Uplinkers are expecting this to happen shortly after all air the air broadcasters switches to digital . Yes Pansat and other manufacturers are cutting production on Mpeg2 and if you look around expanding their line of Mpeg4 receivers.
It is highly unlikely that FTA can be cut, especially when they carry religious, educational (home schools/university), and other PBS programming.
However those of you that have people taking pictures, etc I would call the police and report them as suspicious. I guarantee if the police shows up and check with them, they are not working for any of the major sat providers.

Another sad thing about this is I've noticed alot of sites selling FTA boxes, also have a small window offering dish services or promoting it, legal hookup i mean. Maybe they need to drop selling the services of dish. Only my opinion.

This is still America. If you ever recieve a nastygram demanding money and that you divulge everything you do to some souless entity, just tell em "F*CK *FF". They count on people caving out of fear and sending undeserved checks to them.

Better have lots of money to backup that "F*CK *FF". I got sued by F**d because of a website. It had links to other websites that contained "potentially copyright infringing material". They didn't contact me about removing the links or anything like that. I just got one of those nice letters in the mail one day.

I had to either settle or spend $$$$$$$$$$$ to fight it. They have more money than I do.

But I guess if you do not have to worry about money or anything else, it would be a good plight.

ha now thats funny, did try and get money from you for it? i.e. hey for $200 bucks i can hook u up with.....

Well the jackass wanted $150 but besides that you hit the nail on the head.

I fired off an e-mail the Signal integrity, but I never heard back from them for more details.

So basically Charlie started up Dish Network using dirty money that he earned using hacks during the C-Band era.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Back in the 1980's Charlie and Jimmy D were involved in the questionable sale and export of VCII modules.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Back in the 1980's Charlie and Jimmy D were involved in the questionable sale and export of VCII modules.

I remember that happening. I've still got the Boresight News shows on file here from when they reported on Charlie's shipments being seized. Has it really been 20+ years? Boy, it seems just like yesterday...

A survey to determine what? That there are actually FTA people with little or no interest about the hacking side, and even more who wouldn't admit anything to a threatening stranger, whether they did or not? What a joke! At the least it might help some folks determine once and for all if they really don't own one of the many infamous Pansat clones made in China. Maybe DN should query their subscribers who never purchase PPV and show-up on the Pansat owner's list. There must be millions in imagined losses from those who would never buy programming above basic, anyway. DirecTV must be really stupid to have denied itself outrageous yearly tax write-offs.

Better to do an independent survey done in the blind. Otherwise expect it to be as presumptuous as Charlie's annual inflated computes of revenue loss due to piracy; due to a chronic failure to protect their 95% crap programming. That's my short version survey response. Maybe we should install reflective panels alongside our FTA dishes with the words: DishNet Signal Deflector. Make an in-the-clear community statement to keep their undeserved and unwanted interference away from exclusively FTA friendly property. I should draw a cartoon to illustrate this idea.

I remember that happening. I've still got the Boresight News shows on file here from when they reported on Charlie's shipments being seized. Has it really been 20+ years? Boy, it seems just like yesterday...

Think you can post a copy of the Boresight News show files that have Charlie and Jimmy D being bad boys?

I don't have it and it would be nice to have.

Charlie will have to pry my Traxis out of my Cold Dead hands.

Love my wildfeeds....nets on G16 C band...and of course the RTN mux on G10R (123w)

I originally bought my FTA receiver so my wife could watch an ethnic channel on c-band that appeals to her nationality: and also so I could watch a particular religious channel that is affiliated with the church I belong to. As far as I know, the ONLY way to receive these 2 channels is with an FTA receiver. I think it would be foolish for Charlie to start screwing with ethnic groups and religious folks who are using these receivers in a 100% legal fashion. He could end up with a class action suit on his hands and it would serve him right.

the cause

Ergen's own arrogance, and refusal to secure his system are the main cause of the entire piracy problem. An entire industry grew fat because DN didn't want to spend
the money needed to make their signals more 'theft=resistant'. And it's not like signal theft started 6 months ago, they've had ample time to improve their satellite
transmissions. Those of us who want to have pay-tv, probably have a subscription to whatever provider they choose. I choose not to, there's plenty of free tv up there to
satisfy me. The direction this country is heading scares the hell out of me, with the things like this issue popping up more and more often. How long until we get a 'survey' asking how many and what kind of guns we own? After all, couldn't any one of those be used for an illegal purpose too?

I originally bought my FTA receiver so my wife could watch an ethnic channel on c-band that appeals to her nationality: and also so I could watch a particular religious channel that is affiliated with the church I belong to. As far as I know, the ONLY way to receive these 2 channels is with an FTA receiver. I think it would be foolish for Charlie to start screwing with ethnic groups and religious folks who are using these receivers in a 100% legal fashion. He could end up with a class action suit on his hands and it would serve him right.

Filing official complaints with the FCC (7 letters as noted above) may be even more effective than a class action lawsuit... If I say anymore I may have relatives mad at me!

Think you can post a copy of the Boresight News show files that have Charlie and Jimmy D being bad boys?

I don't have it and it would be nice to have.

I have quite literally HUNDREDS of hours of Boresight News here.. :):) I'm trying to remember which episode it was on.. Give me a few days, I'll find it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)