This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish Network’s Charlie Ergen: HBO Blackout Will Prompt ‘Game Of Thrones’ Piracy

Boxing is gone from HBO so you’re down to Bill!

GOT is the most pirated TV show, since it started there are many who don't or can't pay $15/month for HBO. Of course it will increase, there are many who don't subscribe to certain streams just for a TV show that's exclusive to that stream. Maybe one day instead of A La Carte TV Channels, maybe A La Carte TV shows/series. I truly think the consumer is getting tired of paying for crappy channels/programming that's included with other programming you have to pay for. Like ESPN, I watch ESPN just for Australian Open Tennis and not all matches, but yet I'm forced to pay for it because it's included with my AT250 pack. Someda the time will come where we can pay for ESPN separately. (I Hope).

Reactions: HipKat
Going back to my Big Dish in 1985, by 1986 HBO/Cinemax scrambled and the pirates came out of the woodwork finding ways to fix the VC2. So if there is buck to be made, the pirates are there. Everytime GI would fix the issue, along was another fix from the pirates to fix the fix, and of course for another fee. I don't follow the pirates these days, but I am sure they have their hands out.

Reactions: truckracer
It may be a very long time before this Suit is resolved.

Last I read the court was supposed to rule in "early 2019." Now, that doesn't mean there won't be additional appeals either way it goes, so you could be right.

Rumor was that General Instruments released the hack because sales of the vc2 was flat at the time.

Reactions: truckracer

Question is whether ATT is more concerned with HBO profit or trying to get Dish customers over to Direct TV?
I have to wonder how many Dish customers have already switched over.

Looking at the numbers, not as many as you would thing.

I am thinking HBO is not the powerhouse it once was.
In their 10k they say they are going through a painful period but when they come out of the other side of the tunnel, their remaining customers will have relatively speaking, less expensive program packages.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Rumor was that General Instruments released the hack because sales of the vc2 was flat at the time.

That would not surprise me. I had my old VC2 until a few years ago, but the battery started to leak and I threw it away. I was going to keep it, but those batteries leak after years.

Is that when ATT starts fighting with channels more and end up losing channels making things cheaper?

My 2 cents.. If Att gets away with this where does it stop. When the Turner/Time Warner channels come up for renewal then we will see everyone crying when there bill goes up again. ( Turner / Time Warner channels - CNN, TBS, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, Audience, Game Show Network (42%), and TruTV. Also EPIX Now is $6.00 a month , cheaper then dish.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Once upon a time several of those channels were cornerstone channels of pay tv and must haves for me. Now with streaming services like Netflix and prime I can always find something worthwhile. Getting older has made my viewing choices more discriminating. I would be happier with the few bucks in my pocket than those channels in my package.

Reactions: wormil
I remember those days, moms boyfriend had a C band dish and would get new key codes on his fax machine. After mom kicked him out years later I dismantled his obsolete GI IRD and dish and sold it all. Split the money with my mother.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Wish I could put up an 8’er but I am pretty sure my wife will not leave me. I couldn’t get that lucky. She would stab me, break my bones, and then tell me to suck it up.

Reactions: HipKat
Wish I could put up an 8’er but I am pretty sure my wife will not leave me. I couldn’t get that lucky. She would stab me, break my bones, and then tell me to suck it up.
That reminds me of what Dick Armey said during the Monica Lewinsky scandal when asked what he would do if he were in the President's position:

“If I were in the president’s position, I would be looking up from a pool of blood and hearing my wife say : ‘How do I reload this thing?'”

Looking at the numbers, not as many as you would thing.

I am thinking HBO is not the powerhouse it once was.

But HBO is like walking into a restaurant and ordering a “coke” people tend to refer to “coke” meaning actual coke or Pepsi.

Same way people refer to HBO as any premium channel in general.

Reactions: MikeD-C05