DISH Network's Charlie Ergen May Be TV's Most Hated Man

Voom did that to themselves when they refused to put new interesting stuff on. Same reason Smithsonian disappeared for some time there. There was definitely an audience, and VOOM was the first of its kind, but being exclusive to Dish and also not doing anything big caused them to not be worth it anymore.
That's why Dish had to pay 700 Million dollars to a Cable Vision/ Voom lawsuit.
And that was just so Cable Vision would do business with Charles again.

But we won't get into a Voom debate.
But clearly wasn't peanuts and clearly nothing was gained except for $80M in spectrum that's going on 4 years and counting still hasn't been used, and let's not forget about a broken down Rainbow 1 satellite.

And that didn't include the cost or terms to bringing back the lost AMC networks, or the Free Rokus that dish used as an answer to solve the missing AMC networks, That AMC blocked anyway lol.

What a break through.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Not a single one of those points matches my statement. I said it was VOOMs fault they went under. You went after Dish and Charlie. It is not Dish and Charlie's fault that VOOM went under. That is entirely on CableVision. What's really funny is AMC Networks announced they felt the hurt more than they thought they would in the lawsuit. But nice attempt in trying to be confrontational. Let's stick to the points discussed.

Not a single one of those points matches my statement. I said it was VOOMs fault they went under. You went after Dish and Charlie. It is not Dish and Charlie's fault that VOOM went under. That is entirely on CableVision. What's really funny is AMC Networks announced they felt the hurt more than they thought they would in the lawsuit. But nice attempt in trying to be confrontational. Let's stick to the points discussed.
Voom the Satellite division went under.
Because they were way ahead of their time with HD technology.
There were a fraction of HD TVS in homes.
And with a single orbital location, that Charlie setup up a deal to get, and got it, and then didn't want to fulfill his end of the deal, so concocted the "repeats" excuse to avoid paying Cable Vision what he owed.

The dropped Voom programming which you were referring to was very much alive since Cablevision was the owners and remained on Cablevision for a few years after Charles dropped them from Dish.

The repeated programming excuse is weak, since vastly everything on network tv is repeated constantly, including the premium channels.

And that why old Charlie ended up losing his lawsuit, and that why your additional and duo receiver fees went through the roof in preparation for this long lost lawsuit.
Plus destroying documents doesn't help your cause either when Cablevision provided proof they were spending $100m a year which was only required for the first 5 years of their 15 year deal.
Plus that also was only a $6 per subscriber bill by 2020 for that 14 channel suite.

I would have rather had Voom than the $6 Encore we get now in SD.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
I watched VOOM a lot. Too many channels with the same things over and over. Charlie gave them the option to continue with fewer channels, but they refused, So yes, Dish took a hit, but look, still in business. VOOM, gone and mostly forgotten.

They were bringing in zero customers. They remained on Cablevission, for a few months after Dish, because they had zero audience. Dish dropped them 2 years into their 15 year deal because their excuse of pay $100M on programming was including inflated wages paid to Executives. That was the basis of the lawsuit. Mind you Dish didn't lose the lawsuit, it was a settlement. The channels went under because they didn't have the support or audience necessary to to keep them alive. If they did, they'd be around longer.

Reactions: navychop
Sorry, didn't realize that questioning 2 totally different requirements for a promo (needing U-verse vs wireless as qualifying, which was never answered...) was "over analyzing"... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Here is your answer.
AT&T wireless OR U-verse.
af9ce17702d84e7ceb750fe3a73bdba2.jpg

ac5cbdb52e2144869afd84e88f3a9ec1.jpg

d13830721d99b7444b56d75c660ae53e.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tyralak
Yep, the offers and promos are being ramped up on all sides trying to woo the existing pay-tv customers since the market is saturated and stagnant.

Reactions: Tyralak and Troch77
If they had better DVR equipment like Hopper and had wireless equipment like Joey's that I can use with my own wireless router then I might switch.

If they had better DVR equipment like Hopper and had wireless equipment like Joey's that I can use with my own wireless router then I might switch.
That's a big one they need a better Genie.
Or don't charge outrageous upfront lease fees on an additional HR.

I call them for a 5 room system I wanted the Genie, 3 clients and HR24, and the wanted $213 upfront.
F THAT . LOL.
I just spent my $200 gift card.

There are just some things starting to bug me about DISH lately.
But Directv needs a new Genie IMO, lower their premium channel prices, and incorporate Netflix into their platform.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I prefer Dish prices and equipment, and I prefer DTVs channels and business attitude. DTV is about the business whereas Charlie has always wanted to be the low cost leader. Sometimes, somethings are worth paying more for, but it has made him billions. I am almost split evenly between the two companies, with a slight preference over Dish just because I am more of a techie than a TV watcher.

No. I don't have to respect him. I especially don't respect the abysmal way he treats his employees. Ergen can go suck a big fat one.
Please elaborate. He started the company from scratch and now employs over 30K people. I guess that you detest all major companies then since they ALL have some disgruntled ex-employees.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)