Dish now charges $10 for tech visit to replace broken components?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I disagree. I am paying for the usage of the equipment that I do not own. My bill even states the charges in that manner. If any of the equipment I do not own stops working, it is replaced without charge. I also own a Hopper. If that Hopper stops working, I will be charged for the replacement or repair (that has already happened in the past). I am also paying an extra charge for everything else such as the dish, the cabling and the switch. So, over the 20 years that I have been a customer, I have paid $11,000 for the usage of equipment. Not only that: The part that needs to be replaced is not even a year old. And I already paid extra to have that installed.

Now, I somewhat understand why Dish would want to charge a co-pay so that there aren't unnecessary tech visits. I just have never been charged before. And in this case, they wanted to charge me for something they only recently installed.

One more thing for you to think about. If you think you're paying 'for the usage of their equipment' then please tell us why the fees are exactly the same if the customer buys their equipment outright or if they borrow it from DISH.

Reactions: oljim60 and HipKat
One more thing for you to think about. If you think you're paying 'for the usage of their equipment' then please tell us why the fees are exactly the same if the customer buys their equipment outright or if they borrow it from DISH.

Its good that you asked that. Because that's is exactly my point. I do not now nor have I in the past paid a monthly fee for the equipment that I own.

Its good that you asked that. Because that's is exactly my point. I do not now nor have I in the past paid a monthly fee for the equipment that I own.

I call BS! Please post a copy of your bill.

You have a great day! This is silly.
No, it is not silly, you plainly said that you have never paid a monthly fee for equipment that you own. If it is Dish equipment, yes you have. It has always been that way.

You have a great day! This is silly.

Yea, that's what I thought. I was curious how they listed those monthly charges for the dish, cabling and switch that you said you paid as well as the receivers that you have connected with no monthly fees. Nice try though.

Everyone pays the same fees regardless of owned or leased equipment. The exceptions would be grandfathered fees or discounts being applied on an individual basis.

\
No, it is not silly, you plainly said that you have never paid a monthly fee for equipment that you own. If it is Dish equipment, yes you have. It has always been that way.

This took a while because I had to dig up 20 years with of bills. At any rate, it does look like I am being billed in the manner you state with my current bill and my bills over the past three years. For example, last year I leased both Hoppers. Currently, I own one Hopper (required if you want two Hopper 3's) and lease the second. And, as you say, my charge is almost the same.

However, if I go back to older bills i.e., four or more years, the charges are exactly as I stated. In fact, if I go back to the original Hopper release I was charged a DVR fee. But I wasn't charged for either of my two Hoppers (I owned both at that time). I was charged for my Joeys (I did not own them).

I have always had four TV's. I can go back to even older bills before the Hopper and I can see where I am charged for the devices that I did not own. I was not charged for the ones I own. The devices I did not own even state the charge is for lease. I used to own a 211 that I was not charged monthly for until I added a hard drive to it. After that I was charged $3.00, which if I remember was the DVR upgrade fee for that device.

Why anyone would be loyal to Dish over DIRECTV is beyond me. Just go to whoever gives you the best value and service. Every two years I go shopping and evaluate the various offers.

And Dish is by no means the low cost leader. Now DirectTV is offering me a $300 gift card to switch!

Why anyone would be loyal to Dish over DIRECTV is beyond me. Just go to whoever gives you the best value and service. Every two years I go shopping and evaluate the various offers.

And Dish is by no means the low cost leader. Now DTV is offering me $300 gift card to switch!
Not me. I go with the best equipment.

\

This took a while because I had to dig up 20 years with of bills. At any rate, it does look like I am being billed in the manner you state with my current bill and my bills over the past three years. For example, last year I leased both Hoppers. Currently, I own one Hopper (required if you want two Hopper 3's) and lease the second. And, as you say, my charge is almost the same.

However, if I go back to older bills i.e., four or more years, the charges are exactly as I stated. In fact, if I go back to the original Hopper release I was charged a DVR fee. But I wasn't charged for either of my two Hoppers (I owned both at that time). I was charged for my Joeys (I did not own them).

I have always had four TV's. I can go back to even older bills before the Hopper and I can see where I am charged for the devices that I did not own. I was not charged for the ones I own. The devices I did not own even state the charge is for lease. I used to own a 211 that I was not charged monthly for until I added a hard drive to it. After that I was charged $3.00, which if I remember was the DVR upgrade fee for that device.

:facepalm

\

Nope to so much of this.

FWIW: The one time I have had to replace failing Dish equipment (a ViP 622 IIRC), they shipped me the new one with self-install instructions, and the return shipping was pre-paid, so I didn't have to pay a fee. As rare as truck rolls have been for me, I wouldn't complain too much about the $10 fee unless they didn't fix my problem the first time, and they charged me for subsequent visits.

That said, I think it is fair to expect new parts to last at least a year, so I would complain about being charged for a truck roll to replace those within the first year.

FWIW: The one time I have had to replace failing Dish equipment (a ViP 622 IIRC), they shipped me the new one with self-install instructions, and the return shipping was pre-paid, so I didn't have to pay a fee. As rare as truck rolls have been for me, I wouldn't complain too much about the $10 fee unless they didn't fix my problem the first time, and they charged me for subsequent visits.

That said, I think it is fair to expect new parts to last at least a year, so I would complain about being charged for a truck roll to replace those within the first year.

Not only is the switch new, this is the fourth time in less than a year they have been here to fix a signal issue.

I disagree. I am paying for the usage of the equipment that I do not own. My bill even states the charges in that manner. If any of the equipment I do not own stops working, it is replaced without charge. I also own a Hopper. If that Hopper stops working, I will be charged for the replacement or repair (that has already happened in the past). I am also paying an extra charge for everything else such as the dish, the cabling and the switch. So, over the 20 years that I have been a customer, I have paid $11,000 for the usage of equipment. Not only that: The part that needs to be replaced is not even a year old. And I already paid extra to have that installed.

Now, I somewhat understand why Dish would want to charge a co-pay so that there aren't unnecessary tech visits. I just have never been charged before. And in this case, they wanted to charge me for something they only recently installed.

DISH's protection plan covers all customer owned equipment active on the account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)