Dish now charges $10 for tech visit to replace broken components?

If you belong to this forum you shouldn’t even be wasting your money on a protection plan.

You should be able to fix it yourself With Free tech support from satelliteguys

So True !! Everything I ever needed to know about satellite equipment I learned it from here. All you have to do is ask and the most talented and intelligent people will be more than happy to give advice. Being a Pub Member is my service plan .

If you belong to this forum you shouldn’t even be wasting your money on a protection plan.

You should be able to fix it yourself With Free tech support from satelliteguys

I've never had a Dish truck roll for anything including new installations. Yep, the Internet is my instructor and troubleshooting guide.

If it only costs Dish $150 to roll a truck, I’m Impressed. At my last job, I calculated over $180, conservative minimum, to roll a truck on a call.

Granted, our trucks had welders and other equipment on them beyond what Dish would have.
I'm curious. Do you have the breakdown on how you came up with the $180?

That was many years ago, at a previous employer, since out of business. But I’m sure that spreadsheet is on the HDDs in the lawyer’s office.

Let’s see. I had calculated the cost of each mechanic, including overhead such as WC ins and even uniforms. Not tools. Added to that the running hour cost of the trucks on average (leaving out cars, vans and light trucks). This would be fuel, oil, repairs, GPS and any other accessories. And broke out the cost per day/hour of the lease, giving consideration to the upfront and residual. We had expensed out the welders so I don’t think I included them. Not sure.

I did not include any job supplies.

This is offhand. I might be overlooking something.

Reactions: ewindowman
There is no charge if they have to come out within 60 days. Also, it is $10 with proplan, however loyalty and history is taken into account and sometimes automatically waived off. If you’re a person who gets lots of credits, or freebies, or pay for a very small profitless package... and you’ll not have much equity to have it waived off. Your status can change anytime, up or down, based on your history. And if you’re wondering if you’re a good customer and want to know why you’re not... you won’t get an answer. It’s proprietary, and the CSRs don’t even know. Arguing about it will not fix it either.

Just my point of view, probably not popular here. I've been with DISH off and on for 20 years. I've never had a tech come out for any reason, including installation or service. However, if I have an equipment failure which requires a service call to correct, there's no way I'd pay for that call.............not $95, not $10. If I can't watch DISH tv because of a failure of DISH's equipment and they refuse to come fix their equipment, I'll just send back their equipment and find another carrier to use.

DISH is selling me programming. If I can't view that programming because of a failure of their equipment, I don't need to be paying for their programming.

The problem with that statement is technicians come out to work on customer owned equipment. The customer owns the antenna and cabling. The only thing Dish owns is the STB, and if that fails, they will ship a replacement. So it is YOUR equipment not working, not theirs.

And we are paying for ease of access to that programming, not just the programming. I’d rather have a Hopper than most any cable box.

Reactions: pattykay
Just my point of view, probably not popular here. I've been with DISH off and on for 20 years. I've never had a tech come out for any reason, including installation or service. However, if I have an equipment failure which requires a service call to correct, there's no way I'd pay for that call.............not $95, not $10. If I can't watch DISH tv because of a failure of DISH's equipment and they refuse to come fix their equipment, I'll just send back their equipment and find another carrier to use.

DISH is selling me programming. If I can't view that programming because of a failure of their equipment, I don't need to be paying for their programming.
You DO know when a tech comes out to work on "their equipment", he's also (supposed to) going to sweep the system, check for signal loss, replaced damaged or incorrect cabling/connectors, etc. God forbid you should part with the cost of lunch at McDonald's one time to get an end to end maintenance visit....

The problem with that statement is technicians come out to work on customer owned equipment. The customer owns the antenna and cabling. The only thing Dish owns is the STB, and if that fails, they will ship a replacement. So it is YOUR equipment not working, not theirs.
Dish owns the LNB also....

They don't request them back when you disconnect or move that I know of, or they write them off

They asked for mine back the last time I cancelled (2012) if I could reach the dish. Since mine was pole-mounted, I sent it back in the provided box. There was a spot in the packaging specifically for the LNB. Things may have changed since then.

Reactions: TheKrell
You DO know when a tech comes out to work on "their equipment", he's also (supposed to) going to sweep the system, check for signal loss, replaced damaged or incorrect cabling/connectors, etc. God forbid you should part with the cost of lunch at McDonald's one time to get an end to end maintenance visit....

You DO know that the OP clearly stated that he had a bad switch which was only six months in? I did state that "if I have an equipment failure which requires a service call". Damaged or incorrect cabling/connectors are things which I would and have corrected over the years on my own.

I don't eat McDonald's garbage, but that's beside the point. You can't get a service call for $10. IMO, there's no way the OP should have to pay DISH anything for this service call.

You DO know that the OP clearly stated that he had a bad switch which was only six months in? I did state that "if I have an equipment failure which requires a service call". Damaged or incorrect cabling/connectors are things which I would and have corrected over the years on my own.

I don't eat McDonald's garbage, but that's beside the point. You can't get a service call for $10. IMO, there's no way the OP should have to pay DISH anything for this service call.
That's great you can do all these things yourself. You're 1 in 1000. But Dish has standards on what are authorized connectors, Barrels, Cable, etc. Do you use a Super Buddy to point your dish? Do you run limit scans at the Dish and behind the receiver? Is the software on your SB up to date? Do you know how to pinpoint issues with Moca, Connectivity, etc?

Fine, nobody pay for service calls, except Dish paying the expenses, and nobody should complain when the cost gets passed on in your bill. I'm sorry, you're not going to win this argument with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts