Dish off in storm, permanently?

Hi Again...

Just came back to say they didn't follow up on the promise to contact me within 24 hours, but I did find that I could watch the debate live on YouTube.
I guess they aren't going to show up until next weekend. A whole week to go.

In the meantime, I'm watching things on Amazon Prime, watched Aladin last night, have watched all of Undone and the first episode of Carnival Row.

I'm going to wait it out this time because I'm used to Dish, but if I have more problems and they say it's going to take two weeks to get here I think I will just switch to Comcast.
I already have a Comcast cable to where my TV is because it's near my computer and I have one gigabyte per second bandwidth though I don't know if that has any effect on TV.

The reason that I didn't want to replace the box myself is...

One I'm pretty sure that the lightning hit the dish like last time and I don't want to climb 26' up a ladder to see if it's fried and have no way to test it.
And I've seen the service tech get more than one box out of his truck to find one that worked. I don't want to install a Hopper only to discover there is no signal or that the box is bad.

I've had a lot of boxes over 16 years.

So I guess all I can do is wait.

Mike

By the way, we are pretty lucky here in Michigan, no forest fires, earthquakes, no hurricanes, and no major floods, Winters are getting milder and tornados are rare, but we did have a really bad thunderstorm the night my Dish went out, this is the 3rd time in 34 years my house has been struck by lightning. We are at the second-highest point in the County but the trees are much higher than the house.

This time it only knocked out the Dish and the well, and a couple of fuses fixed the well. We have a lot of grounds around the house now, but the dish is still grounded to the water line in the basement. I asked the tech is he could run a groundline into the ground but he said they weren't allowed to do that.

I think maybe I'll have my nephew the electrition move it he put in all the other ground wires.

PS. Just found a new email saying they are coming on the 21st, so no improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
Isn’t most of the Dish spectrum low, like in the 600s? Plus some mid from the merger deal? Not gonna require as many towers as mm wave. And ideal for IoT.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Claude, I don't want you to think I don't respect you, because I do. I know you've been in this game a long time and your roots in this industry go deep. However, I don't have any respect for constantly coming into a hornet's nest with a stick and poking the hive, but I do acknowledge your persistence and willingness to (annoyingly) hang in there.

With that said, outside of channel disputes and the NFL Ticket, DTV has nothing that tops Dish. Not one thing, The Dish's fail in weather faster. The hardware isn't even close. The Software isn't close. The options pale in comparison. DTV's VOD is a joke. The billing is extortionist and the customer service is horrible.

When I hear the phrase 'Best in Class Service", I take it seriously. I make every job the best job I can do. I never worry about the next job until I finish the one I'm on, ever. My company's Mission Statement reads, "Mission Statement: GalaxyOne Marketing was founded to provide exceptional customer service in satellite and home entertainment through professional commitment to each and every customer." and I adhere to that every day.

Intentionally setting someone up with a substandard POS service is predatory at best and not something I would ever abide by - and you can ask about the number of Hughesnet jobs I've downed because the customer wanted to stream and game with it and the Sales people - who ask those questions - put the sale ahead of the customer's needs.

That's how I roll!
I've been a Dish customer for 13 yrs and have no desire to switch. CS has always treated us very well and we'll survive a couple weeks. Usually, they send a tech out in 1 or 2 days.

Yep, that would be nice to have four OTA tuners capability. Now that we have CBS back in the St Louis DMA I might bring back the DISH Sat locals. We miss PTAT. With DISH Sat locals next day AutoHop is still available for NBC and ABC. I wonder in the PTAT setting if CBS and FOX were not enabled and set manual OTA timers if next day AutoHop would work for CBS and FOX!
WOW, next day AutoHop works for CBS and FOX. Yesterday I called DISH and had the Sat locals activated. In PTAT settings I have CBS and FOX not enabled. So I have OTA timers set in prime time CBS and FOX programs. I was surprised this morning to see last nites recordings AutoHop working. So now I use PTAT for ABC and NBC and set timers for our favorite CBS and FOX programs. Sure nice having next day AutoHop for all four PTAT channels. I should have tried this sooner.

Reactions: TheKrell
Hi

We just had a thunderstorm this evening. During the storm, the dish box went dead.
I can hear the disk drive running but there is no light on the front, not Green, or Yellow but power is going in.

I tried pushing the buttons for start and reset.

I unplugged it waited and plugged it back in.

The TV says no signal.

I called the Dish Guy in some country or other and after explaining the nonexistent light, is not blinking several times he said that he could send me a new unit, I said that I wanted a technician (I'm going on 82 and it's hard work on down there) and after quite a wait he said that he would send someone on the 22nd of September.

I couldn't budge him even by telling him I already have Comcast in the house for my computer and that I could switch.

So I decided to ask if anyone here has any ideas of anything else I could try. That's a long time without TV, I can't even watch all the stuff I have recorded.

The truth is that I'm pretty sure that we were hit by lightning it wouldn't be the first time but my computer and stuff is OK.

The last time is melted the dish. LOL

Any ideas appreciated

Mike.

Did you get this resolved yet? About 2 months ago I had a lightning strike either hit my house or right outside of it. The next morning when I turned my TV and Hopper 2 on I had no signal. It's either a major coincidence or my DVR's HDMI output no longer works anymore. The TV and every single thing in the house is okay except the HDMI out on the H2. It still works, but I have to use component out to my TV now, which is better than nothing I guess.

Are you getting sound from your TV from the dish receiver? Tried using a different output from the receiver to the TV?

Reactions: charlesrshell
No other provider charges customers to ship their equipment back. No other provider even would dare ask for an LNB to be returned that they know darn well is installed on a roof 85% of the time.

But then again, if you don’t complain and ask for the fee to be waived, it’s another $50 they tack on the final bill.

That’s arrogance!

I've been a Dish customer for many, many years. Not once have I ever had to pay to have any equipment shipped back to them regardless of the reason. They have always included a prepaid UPS shipping label addressed to themselves for me to use to ship their box with the equipment back to them. And I never had to ask them for that. In one case, they asked to include the LNB which, of course, I did not do and they didn't charge me for it. Also, I have never spoken to any CSR that was not polite and helpful. Everyone of them have been very courteous and helpful. Trust me when I say that if it had been otherwise, I would have been back to cable in a flash as, at my age, I do not take kindly to BS. Some of this happened even during the many years I was under no commitment of any kind. As they say in the investing realm, "past performance does not guarantee future results." It appears to me that you are harboring a long time grudge that you need to take another look at and quit bad mouthing Dish. The number of customers that are bouncing between Dish and DirectTV are far outnumbered by satisfied customers in both services. Nothing in this world is perfect and never will be and there is nothing any one of us can do anything about it. There is no reason to be constantly angry about something that may have happened to you years ago since you can't change the past, just learn from it and move on. Just my 2 cents.

I've been a Dish customer for many, many years. Not once have I ever had to pay to have any equipment shipped back to them regardless of the reason. They have always included a prepaid UPS shipping label addressed to themselves for me to use to ship their box with the equipment back to them. And I never had to ask them for that. In one case, they asked to include the LNB which, of course, I did not do and they didn't charge me for it. Also, I have never spoken to any CSR that was not polite and helpful. Everyone of them have been very courteous and helpful. Trust me when I say that if it had been otherwise, I would have been back to cable in a flash as, at my age, I do not take kindly to BS. Some of this happened even during the many years I was under no commitment of any kind. As they say in the investing realm, "past performance does not guarantee future results." It appears to me that you are harboring a long time grudge that you need to take another look at and quit bad mouthing Dish. The number of customers that are bouncing between Dish and DirectTV are far outnumbered by satisfied customers in both services. Nothing in this world is perfect and never will be and there is nothing any one of us can do anything about it. There is no reason to be constantly angry about something that may have happened to you years ago since you can't change the past, just learn from it and move on. Just my 2 cents.
:clapping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)