Dish OnDemand stuck on buffering

Mike88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I downloaded/recorded an OnDemand TV program a few days ago. I tried to watch it today but about 30 seconds into the program I get a message “Buffering Dish OnDemand Video” and it just sits there. I could not cancel it but could skip back & stop & click on done to get out of it. Or after about 30 minutes the message goes away. Either way it takes me back to live TV.

I cannot delete it because that option does not appear because I have not watched the program. And I can’t watch it because it hangs up on buffering. I cannot download/record it again because it’s still on my DVR.

Other than waiting 28 days for the rental to expire, how do I delete it and try recording it again?

My concern is after waiting 28 days that the program won't be available anymore.

Yes I did the unplug & re-plug but it made no difference.

I did a lot of Googling and from what I've seen there does not appear to be any way to delete a program that was not watched, other than letting the rental period expire. I was hoping someone on the forum knew of a way to do it.

I did a lot of Googling and from what I've seen there does not appear to be any way to delete a program that was not watched, other than letting the rental period expire. I was hoping someone on the forum knew of a way to do it.

Actually, you can't delete a program that hasn't finished downloading, which I believe is your predicament. I have several times deleted programs we never watched at all. I wish I could be more helpful. :(

I unplugged the DVR again, but this time did it when the “Buffering Dish OnDemand Video” message was displayed. When it came back on it said the program was ready for watching.

I watched & it stopped with 17 minutes remaining & got the buffering message again. I skipped back & paused it for several minutes. I resumed playing & got another minute to play before the buffering message appeared. But this time I could not skip back in order to pause. I tried different buttons (forward, back, etc) and eventually the status bar indicated playback was done even though it still had 16 minutes to go.

There was no option to play or restart but could delete it. I downloaded again but with my slow internet OnDemand programs can never be watched immediately. I left it & came back later.

Went to watch again & it hung up at the same 30 second spot. I unplugged again while buffering & was able to watch when the DVR came back on. It stopped with 8 minutes to go & displayed the buffering message again. I tried skipping forward, backward, etc & eventually the status bar indicated the full 45 minutes was available & I FF to almost the end & was finally able to finish watching. What a PITA.

Reactions: TheKrell
My slow Internet could be the problem. That being said I've had no issues lately when using the PC. Perhaps the Dish DVR is more susceptible to minor dropouts.

Yes I did the unplug & re-plug but it made no difference.

Scroll to the movie and push recall on your remote.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)