Dish OTA Adapter not working with Wallys

CableGrl

Original poster
May 7, 2019
West Palm Beach, Florida
Hi Guys, before posting this I did sift through a similar thread that was over a year old but didnt see a clear solution. We are a small operator trying to get these to work at a couple locations but cant seem to get them working with the Wallys. (They do fine with the Hoppers)

Any advice?:coco

Any advice?:coco

I can think of two things that might be the issue. Either the Wally's have an old version of the firmware and need to be updated first, or else you bought the wrong OTA adapter. For example, there is a single-tuner AirTV adapter that does not work on Hoppers.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the adapter or give us a part number? that may help.

Last edited:
I spoke to Dish and the bottom line is that because we are feeding our customers off of a QAM system , the device cant do both a QAM dongle and the OTA dongle...

Interesting. There is a QAM dongle for a Wally?

I don’t believe that Dish supports a QAM tuner on any of the Hopper Family or Wally receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
It's not QAM as in cable, it's the satellite signal converted to QAM so a single dish can support a whole "apartment" type building of individual subscribers.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
The Wally receiver RF input supports L-Band off the satellite. If you want to do SmartBox and output QAM, then YES, you can use the QAM adapter. The Wally STB is required to be on software version U818 and higher, preferably current W542. Go into diagnostics and check software version there. Also, make sure the signal is around -1dBm to +1dBm into the QAM dongle.

Reactions: charlesrshell