Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

The notion that some people have to pay for Platinum and some don't is BS. What is the official policy and why is it not followed across the board. No one should have to call, it should be done automatically. If this is what Dish does as a matter of course I'm switching!
Unfortunately, yes this is how dish works. :mad:
If you are serious about what you said, you need to switch.:(

Very easy - Thanks, Satellite Guys!
Well, after 29 pages of information (ok - I skimmed) - I wasn't sure if this would eventually happen automatically - So, I just went into online chat, and within a few minutes he said it would be added in about 10 minutes. Again, very simple.

I tried to upgrade from Gold to Platinum HD over the weekend, using the chat. Two techs told me it was done, but I never saw the channels. Finally got their overseas tech support last night, and found out their software won't let them add it because I'm on an annual subscription. Bummer!!

As a long time subscriber to the Platinum HD package (along with the Classic Silver 200) package - I called and inquired about getting it now for free (effective August 1). I was told that it was "only for new subscriber". When I asked how long the "new subscribers" would get the Platinum HD package for free, the person stated, "until they choose not to". I then asked why I was paying $10 a month for the same package that new subscribers get free and was told that it was only for new subscribers. Grrrr.

I then went online and asked the same questions. After repeatedly asking why I was paying $10 a month for the same Platinum HD package that others were getting for free, and inquiring why I was being punished for subscribing to the Platinum HD package for many months/years - the online person decided to repackage me so that I now get the Platinum HD package for free. Yay.

It took some work, but it saves me $120 a year. Thanks everyone!

As a long time subscriber to the Platinum HD package (along with the Classic Silver 200) package - I called and inquired about getting it now for free (effective August 1). I was told that it was "only for new subscriber". When I asked how long the "new subscribers" would get the Platinum HD package for free, the person stated, "until they choose not to". I then asked why I was paying $10 a month for the same package that new subscribers get free and was told that it was only for new subscribers. Grrrr.

I then went online and asked the same questions. After repeatedly asking why I was paying $10 a month for the same Platinum HD package that others were getting for free, and inquiring why I was being punished for subscribing to the Platinum HD package for many months/years - the online person decided to repackage me so that I now get the Platinum HD package for free. Yay.

It took some work, but it saves me $120 a year. Thanks everyone!

I called and got the exact same story....for new subscribers only....i told him it makes no sense.....and I wanted to be transferred to the retention dept....the CSR left and came back saying that I will be getting a $10 credit and wont be paying for Platinum anymore.....about 10 minutes of work for $120/yr. saved.

I still think its BS that anyone has to call....DISH should have automotically credited Platinum subs and explained the reason why. Wonder how many platinum subs have no clue about this and are paying $120/yr. more than they should have to ????

I tried to upgrade from Gold to Platinum HD over the weekend, using the chat. Two techs told me it was done, but I never saw the channels. Finally got their overseas tech support last night, and found out their software won't let them add it because I'm on an annual subscription. Bummer!!

When I did my online chat I was not told that they could not do it. They told me I should get the channels in 10-15 minutes. All of my HD channels were gone. I had to call second time since online chat was closed and asked why my HD channels were not there.

They told me I had to switch from annual to monthly. Told them to just put it back the way it was and they told me that I could not do that. So basically it cost me money just for asking for the platinum package. If I had known this I would have said screw it and never done it.

They did tell me there was a way that it can be done. She told me she would add 250 Classic and give me credit for 250 classic on my bill each month that way it will still allow me my annual package discount. I told her that would be fine. They need to change their system to allow this for annual subscribers as well unless they intended on it being this way and not want to give anybody any discounts anymore that has an HD package for a "hidden price increase".

Show me on the Dish Network website where it says new subscribers only. The website says that the Platinum HD package is included at no charge with any HD package.

I agree. This is just what the CSR told me and apparently others also. If it wasnt for this website I probably never would have known. Thanks satguys. :)

For those platinum subs who dont call or go online......thats another $120/yr in Dish's pocket and not yours.

Wow! I thought I was talking to a wall.

My account is under my wife's name.....check out one of the last comments made by the CSR. :)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Franklin A.
(03) Franklin A: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
me: ok
(03) Franklin A: Thank you for your valuable time and patience. A very good morning to you today Jennifer.
(03) Franklin A: Could you please help me with the complete address which is linked to your Dish network account for verification purposes?
me: sure
(03) Franklin A: Thank you for the information.
me: no problem...
(03) Franklin A: I see that your Dish Network account is bundled with one of our Alliance partners. We are sorry, we don't have access to bundled accounts. However, we have a specialized department in Dish Network that takes care of bundled accounts. Let me go ahead and transfer your chat to that department.
me: ????
me: I don't think I have a bundle.
(03) Franklin A: Please be on the chat.
(03) Franklin A: Oh! I am so sorry about that.
me: its ok.
(03) Franklin A: I got confused as I was working on another account with another customer.
me: no problem.
(03) Franklin A: The first receiver’s lease fee is included in your package price. For each additional receiver, you will be charged a lease fee of $5 per month for a Standard Definition receiver, $7 per month for an HD receiver, $10 per month for a Standard Definition DVR receiver or $12 per month for an HD DVR receiver.
me: You're on the wrong chat again. I heard that Platinum HD is now free....I'd like to add it to my account.
(03) Franklin A: No, that is the disclosure.
me: Ok. My receiver lease fees are not changing because I'm adding Platinum HD, are they?
(03) Franklin A: I am so sorry about that bundle thing.
(03) Franklin A: You are not with a bundle offer. I have made the changes on the account and added that for you.
me: it's fine....I understand. no problem.
me: sounds great. thank you!
(03) Franklin A: Your new monthly rate will be $90.00.
(03) Franklin A: Have I answered everything to your satisfaction?
me: yes. thanks. ave a good day!
(03) Franklin A: Thank you. You have a nice day and you have a beautiful name Mrs [SKYHI].
(03) Franklin A: You're very welcome.
(03) Franklin A: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

For those platinum subs who dont call or go online......thats another $120/yr in Dish's pocket and not yours.
Unless Dish actually does adjust the pricing for existing Platinum subs automatically, as has been suggested.

At this point it's too early to say either way.

Unless Dish actually does adjust the pricing for existing Platinum subs automatically, as has been suggested.

At this point it's too early to say either way.

Thats true but I wasnt taking any chances.....I still wont know for sure until I check my next billing. At the end of my call to the CSR he did say what my new monthly charge would be and it was $10 less and some odd cents (sales tax, etc.) then what I was paying so thats a good sign. :)

Show me on the Dish Network website where it says new subscribers only. The website says that the Platinum HD package is included at no charge with any HD package.

And it's not even consistent from CSR to CSR, apparently. I went on and asked if I could have Platinum HD added at no cost like the website says, or if it's new subs only (I didn't have Platinum HD yet). They said I would get it for free. It took me longer to type my question than it took the CSR I got to activate it.

Obviously, I'll keep an eye on my bill just in case, but I do that for Dish, phone, internet, cell phones, etc...

On the site, it still states:

"Expand your HD content with seven additional high-definition channels free for three months."

Weird that it shows that under Dish'N it Up.....

I got the "for new subs only" when I called on the 1st as well. I asked her to double check on that, as it doesn't say that on the website, and she came back with "it is for new subscribers only, but as you're a valued customer, we're going to go ahead and add it for you."

Weird, and typical Dish.

I got the "for new subs only" when I called on the 1st as well. I asked her to double check on that, as it doesn't say that on the website, and she came back with "it is for new subscribers only, but as you're a valued customer, we're going to go ahead and add it for you."

Weird, and typical Dish.

Yeah, I forgot, they had to "check" my account too before saying I would get it free. I guess I am signed up for enough to get the deal. :rolleyes:

I had mine changed today as well. Saved $120 a year by removing the $10 a month platinum package charge. They need to do it for all subscribers. Just not fair to those who've been with dish for so long.

(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: Thank you for choosing Dish Network, the leader in HD and DVR service. This is Lynn M JR., Operator ID 8JN. I'd be happy to help you with any questions or concerns today. Please hold for 2-3 minutes while I confirm your issue.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: Thank you. I see you're asking about the combined Gold/Platinum HD package?
Patricia Thomas: Yes. As of Aug 1, Platimum HD is now included free. However, I'm still charged $10 per month for it.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: I can advise you on that.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: Unfortunately, that promotion is only available for new Platinum HD customers.
Patricia Thomas: So, I'm being punished for bring a valued customer. That doesn't make sense. There are many others who are getting it for free and they're not new subscribers. Can you double check this issue, please.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: OK.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: give me a moment to see what I can do for you.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: Ok, Patricia, as a courtesy, i can go ahead and make this change for you, give me a minute to process it.
Patricia Thomas: Oh great. Thank you.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: OK, let me get this completed.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: OK, expect a prorated credit for the Platinum HD charge from today to 9/3 to post tonight, lowering the current balance due.
Patricia Thomas: And this will now be $10 less a month, correct?
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: Correct, the new monthly rate is $77.99 + tax now.
Patricia Thomas: That's brilliant. Thank you. I hope Dish management see this issue and rectify it for all those with the platinum package.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Patricia Thomas: Many thanks again for YOUR speedy resolution.
(23-12-3) Lynn M. Jr.: I'm glad that we were able to assist you with your issue today Patricia. Please remember you can view and pay your bill, order PPV's and change your programming with your online account. I hope that you are as excited as we are about your continuing service with us and hope you enjoy the lowest all-digital programming in America! Thank you for chatting with Dish Network, and have a great day!

Forgot to mention - I am now thinking of moving to the Gold 250 programming with the $10 savings I just got (so net result will be nil I think) - does anyone still have a chart that shows the difference between the 3 levels? I currently have Silver and am thinking with Hockey season coming back (Vs.) - I don't want to miss all the hockey games that are shown.

I looked on the Dish site and can't find the one that highlights the differences between the 3 levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)