Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

Good news: Platinum HD is now free.

Bad News: You will be paying more for HBO, Starz, and Showtime if you switch to the Free Platinum program.

Since I don't subscribe to the premiums, it is a good change for me.

I think that this is what it is. If you don't make any changes to your programming, the new prices don't kick in for you but if you want to add the free platinum, well that is a programming change.

Last edited:
I think that this is what it is. If you don't make any changes to your programming, the new prices don't kick in for you but if you want to add the free platinum, well that is a programming change.

That's how I read it as well. If you subscribe to multiple premiums and get a bundled discount you may not want to elect to switch HD packages to get Platinum for free because that would constitute a change in programming and you'd no longer be able to get the bundled premiums discount.

My interpretation may be wrong. One thing I know for sure is that Dish needs to STOP changing package names and contents on customers. They're intentionally or unintentionally making it more difficult to compare old and new packages and it's just going to piss people off.

My big question is, is the demise of DVRAdvantage just a name change (locals still included in that bundled price) or a substantive change where locals once again be a separate charge.

Dish PR, Marketing and anyone responsible for getting information out to the public is really holding the company back. They've done a lot of great things HD programming wise this year (Sorry Turbo subs, I know the sentiment is not universal), and then they release a statement like this which will drive people away from using Dish.

My big question is, is the demise of DVRAdvantage just a name change (locals still included in that bundled price) or a substantive change where locals once again be a separate charge.

That is a great question. If locals are no longer bundled in with DVR as they are in the "Advantage" plan, than that is another price hike. It makes since to get your programming all worked out before Aug. 1st and then don't change a thing.

I was excited over the last couple of days that Platinum would become free but now I'm thinking it isn't going to be free at all if accepting "HD + Platinum" means new fees from the loss of bundling.

:confused:

It really seems like there is a concerted effort to phase out the HD only Turbo HD packages (given the lack of new HD included in those and the absence of them from the press release). I really love my Turbo package...I hope they don't abandon it for me.

Again, haven't customers repeatedly told Dish Network what they want and how to win back customers:

- Get rid of the metal packages (Top100, 200, 250 and AEP)
- Drop the TurboHD and roll them into the above packages
- One DVR fee per account
- Improve HD picture quality

Viola! Easy to understand (especially for CSRs), easy to administer, and a better value for all.

So again , What do the AEP customers get? Both HD gold and Platinum for $10?? If so SWEET!
Looks like the only price increase is on your 2nd Premium pack, But 3-5 is Still same price I guess
And now top 250 doesn't count as a premium as of August 1st. Thats kind of a bummer , since that did help with the cost of a Single premium movie pack.

I'm getting 3 free months of HBO and Showtime and I think I'm going to keep them beyond that when the promo ends in October.

Am I to understand that if I want to keep them, I'll be paying for both separately and not the bundle price of $22?

I'm getting 3 free months of HBO and Showtime and I think I'm going to keep them beyond that when the promo ends in October.

Am I to understand that if I want to keep them, I'll be paying for both separately and not the bundle price of $22?

If you don't make ANY programming changes after August 1st then you should continue to get HBO and Showtime for $22.

hmm...

So help me out here. I'm at Classic Bronze + HD, Locas, DVR, and HBO/Sho.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Silver in September for channels like FX and AMC. Should I do that sooner rather than later?

What can I expect to pay if I switch before August 1st rather than after?

hmm...

So help me out here. I'm at Classic Bronze + HD, Locas, DVR, and HBO/Sho.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Silver in September for channels like FX and AMC. Should I do that sooner rather than later?

What can I expect to pay if I switch before August 1st rather than after?

If you upgrade to silver would you be getting dvr advantage? If so then before Aug 1st it would be

DVR Advantage 200 - $57.99 (locals included)
3 Premium Pack (HD Silver, HBO, Sho) - $31
for a total of $88.99

After Aug 1st
AT 200 with DVR - $57.99
Dish HD Silver - $10
HBO - $15.99
Sho - $12.99
total - $96.97

At least if I did everything right

So I have encouraged DISH to simplify their programming but even I am confused.

1) Will the "with dvr" include the dvr fee and the locals bundled?
2) Will we still get the 3.00 off for having the "with dvr" pack?
3) Will there still be a way to bundle multiple premium movie packs and save money like today?
4) Is DISH so bad off ,they feel the need to hike their prices again so soon after the last hike last February?

I will reserve judgment until I see what actually happens to my bill, but this sure sounds like my 2nd price increase this year. If that's the case, it is the perfect plan during a recession for a company that continues to lose customers... raise prices again.

If you upgrade to silver would you be getting dvr advantage? If so then before Aug 1st it would be

DVR Advantage 200 - $57.99 (locals included)
3 Premium Pack (HD Silver, HBO, Sho) - $31
for a total of $88.99

After Aug 1st
AT 200 with DVR - $57.99
Dish HD Silver - $10
HBO - $15.99
Sho - $12.99
total - $96.97

At least if I did everything right

What's the DVR advantage? Sorry, I'm a new subscriber as of July 4th ;)

I have been thinking that same as you about changing the package or keeping HBO/SHO but my promotion just ended and the bill is currently showing:

HBO - $15.99
Sho - $12.99

Not too sure what I am going to do now. Seems like it's either gotta be classic bronze HD or go all out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)