Dish Remote Access for iPad updated today 11/30/2010

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not on my remote access. The only button I have is to connect a sling adapter (I don't have one) and give my receiver a nickname. There are no other buttons to click. Next to that is the software version for the receiver. My remote access on the bottom right says Version: 2.10.11.17. What is your version?

I think I had to enter my Sling finder number in order to pair the Slingbox to the DVR...it was a lot of trial and error but all of a sudden when I went into My Account at Dishonline, there was a place to set it up and it finally worked

I think I had to enter my Sling finder number in order to pair the Slingbox to the DVR...it was a lot of trial and error but all of a sudden when I went into My Account at Dishonline, there was a place to set it up and it finally worked

Do you remember where you put that number?

Do you remember where you put that number?
I think when I logged into my Account at Dishonline, there was a drop down menu to add the Slingbox and then it either asked for the finder or My Sling Password. To be honest with you - I was so frustrated at that point, I stopped paying attention, but all of a sudden it worked.
I don't understand why Dish Tech Support folks don't know this stuff. When I called last week, the woman in India told me I couldn't hook up a Slingbox to a 722. I think that's when the frustration began...
Sorry I'm not more helpful.

I don't remember doing any of that for the Sling Adapter... Am I having a senior moment? (I did find and use the reboot button.)

I have an issue and it may be linked to the iPad app. I have the Sling adapter. I was recording something on TV2. Since I had just gotten the updated App I was messing around with watching stuff. It wasn't working right so I decided to try again later. I noticed my 1 hour recording going over 13 minutes, then 15 minutes. It just kept going even when the red light on the 722 went out. It took a reset to stop the recording. So I started watching the recording and about 10 minutes in, it froze. Couldn't FF or anything, ended up deleting the recording. So I set up a 30 minute recording starting the next half hour. Again I messed with the iPad app while TV2 was recording. I also messed with the Android App to see some differences, each time I tried to watch something. So that recording kept going for 35 minutes, then 37 minutes. I had to reset the box again to stop the recording. I am not sure what is causing the infinite recording. I have a recording scheduled for later and I will see what happens without any Sling access. Over the next few days I will try to replicate the issue with iPad, Android, and PC access. But it just started when I started using the new iPad app. Anyone had recordings go "infinite" and those recordings freeze on playback?

I did 3 diff. short recordings one while watching a recording on TV1 I assume, had DRA on, another short recording while watching live tv on TV1, I turned the DRA off after starting recording from it's interface, last recording was started, then I tried to go to live tv, but it would not let me. All 3 stopped recording at the proper time, all played fine through DRA or straight through 722 on tv1.
Dan

Here is the official press release which is coming out today.

DISH Network is First Pay-TV Provider to Give Customers Ability to Watch Their Live TV on iPad

Free DISH Remote Access Gives DISH Network Customers Ability to Transform Their iPad into a TV

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Dec. 1, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., today announced that DISH Remote Access, the free application that gives DISH Network customers the ability to watch their live and recorded TV on compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops, is now available for the iPad™. To enjoy live and recorded TV viewing on the iPad, DISH Network customers must have a broadband-connected, Sling-enabled™ device such as the Sling Adapter™ – a small placeshifting device that pairs with DISH Network’s ViP® 722 or 722k HD DVRs.

“DISH Network is the only pay-TV provider to offer a true TV everywhere solution, and now we’ve extended that experience to the iPad,” said DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer Ira Bahr. “Unlike mobile viewing from cable and telcos that limit access to select programs, our TV Everywhere services give consumers 24 x 7 access to all of their live and recorded content included with their DISH Network programming subscription.”

In addition to TV viewing, the DISH Remote Access app also gives DISH Network customers with compatible DVRs the ability to browse and search up to nine days of programming, schedule DVR recordings, manage conflicts, delete shows on multiple receivers, and transform the iPad into a fully-functioning remote control.

The DISH Remote Access app for the iPad can be downloaded for free from the iTunes App Store. For more information about DISH Remote Access, visit TV Everywhere - DISH Network.

So my recording on TV2 overnight did not have any issues. Next up is my experiments to see if DRA is affecting a recording on TV2 in progress. My theory is that the receiver doesn't end a recording based on wall clock time, but on time left. So for instance, I have it set up for a n overlap of 1 minute before and 3 minutes after, meaning a 30 min show is 34 mins. So the receiver stops recording when there is 0 time left, in that it counts down from 34 (I think, just a theory). When I am recording on TV2 and use my iPad DRA to watch something, lets say I am out and I don't realize that TV2 is recording so I try to watch something on another channel, it somehow freezes the recording on the receiver itself and somehow makes it think it has like 1 second left. But then it always thinks it has 1 second left, so it just keeps recording. Also the iPad DRA doesn't prompt you to ask if you want to cancel the recording and go to Live TV. This is all just a theory right now, I will be doing some extensive testing with different DRA platforms and report my results.

Dish has done something really right here

The Dish app update worked right out of the box and I was immediately able to watch live or DVR programs from the 922 on my ipad. I've been waiting since the August announcement, and it's clear they needed to wait for IOS4.2 to make this work. But it really works well - a killer app for Dish owners. I can watch TV anywhere in the house (or near outside) and quality is really good - a few normal hiccups and changing channels is slow, but once it locks in, it just works.

Well done, Dish (and I have been critical of them in other venues).

joebcapecod said:

Just paired my sling box av and I get the yellow view icon on my iPad, then when I hit view it says sling box not supported, I assume this means my sling av is now a boat anchor?

Go to DISH Remote Access

Click on the PREFERENCES tab and you will see your receivers. You can then reboot the receivers from that screen as shown below.

Attachments

• reboot.jpg
    reboot.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 151

Go to DISH Remote Access

Click on the PREFERENCES tab and you will see your receivers. You can then reboot the receivers from that screen as shown below.

That is the screen I go to, see attachment. I do not have the remove receiver or reboot receiver buttons. I only have the one that says sling box/receiver settings. What version do you have on the bottom right?

RA.JPG

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts