Why not aquire KCOP - 13 in HD in LA?

I think the new HD LIL's recently provided to the LA DMA you refer to were the 3 of the 4 PBS stations: KVCR, 24; KCET, 28; and KOCE, 50 (KLCS 58 was not included). They were provided at almost the last moment before the law would have required Dish to put up ALL PBS stations across the country as HD LIL. I think they only had to put up about 30 or so local PBS in HD LIL in exchange for not having to put them all up.

I understand your desire for KCOP 13: some Dodgers games, perhaps or other sports when FOX 11 is comittied to its prime time line-up? Dish really does NOT want to add any more LIL HD if it doesn't HAVE to because of bandwidth and cost. From the beginning of LIL, Dish has always been focused on providing the big 4 broadcast nets LIL and nothing else unless they HAVE to.

However, I believe in 2012, Dish will have to provide all local channels as part of HD LIL in any market where they provide only some: a must-carry provision of STELA. I wouldn't count on KCOP 13 being added until 2012 because Dish just signed renewal for FOX 11 (part of the larger FOX Sports and FOX O&O's disagreement) which means FOX no longer has the leverage of its far more popular FOX 11--the main FOX TV O&O--to FORCE Dish to provide KCOP 13 MyTV if they want KTTV FOX 11. It is possible that Dish was leveraged into it and KCOP in HD LIL may pop up in a few weeks. I don't know all the details of the agreement.

Sorry, but while I would like KCOP to complete the VHF line-up of HD LIL, I just don't think it is happening any time soon. I would like KLCS, 58 or KPAX 30, the ION (I mean the real local broadcast signal, not the West Feed shoved in its place--or at least the national ION feeds in HD--as part of HD LIL, but that won't be 'til 2012 either, probably.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)