Dish requires Switch Check to watch OTA? Also, Dish changes channel when a new recor

jbernardi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 9, 2007
Florida
I've been with Dish for over 6 years, HD the entire time. I got my first 622 about 21 months ago and the second a few months later.

Yesterday my 622 was recording two Dish stations. I tried to watch an OTA station and was told I had to perform a Switch Check.

My recordings were fine. Why in the world would Dish require a Switch Check for watching OTA?

2nd problem: I was watching a one hour program with another set to record at half-past. I guarantee it was set to record to DVR, not auto-tune. As soon as I saw the two minute warning, I put my finger on the recall button.

Sure enough, when the recording started, Dish changed channels on me.
A press on the recall button and all was fine.

This has happened many times. Why does the 622 do this?

I am not sure how the 622 handles OTA recording, so I split my RG6 from the antenna, ran one side to the 622 and the other to the TV input. When I get the warning, I switch my TV to TV input and put the 622 remote aside so as not to accidentally mess up the recording process.

You don't have to do a Check Switch to watch OTA. This was a fluke. Or, a bogus error message (since the recordings in progress were unaffected). Your OTA signal doesn't go through the switch, so that suggests very strongly that it was a false alarm.

For the 2nd problem, is "Record Plus" enabled ? It sounds like your recording was going to record on TV1. It doesn't care if you're already watching something. You told it to record something and it wants to record it. If you enable Record Plus, it will always schedule recordings to take place on TV2, when it's available. If something is already recording on TV2, it will go to TV1 automatically and will kick you off.

Oddly enough, I got this same error the other day (during a recording). Said an error was detected while I was watching an OTA channel (tried others, same message)

It wasnt run, once my recording was run I rebooted the box, and all worked fine, it might be a software bug. But your not alone!

To clarify, I was recording one SAT channel, and watching something OTA!

Weird. Last night while watching OTA I received the "Searching for satellite, 0 of 5" screen.. on an OTA channel! Other channels seemed to work fine (with one sat channel being DVR'ed and no hiccups there), but whenever I'd jump to an OTA channel I would get searching for satellite.

After about 10 minutes it corrected itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)