Dish Said to Plan Blockbuster Rival to Netflix

Dish must be looking at this as a major deal/development to have a press conference, we don't see to many press conferences in regards to tv and such

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Saw this on the L688 thread.
ViP722k L688
[CSC STB Control, Opt in Free Preview Trigger, Locks password pop-ups - add URL text, Blockbuster @ Home branding, Dish On Demand updates/fixes, Misc.]
I figure since this is a sw update for the 722k, then I would expect that we can stream blockbuster movies directly from our Dish boxes.

I figure since this is a sw update for the 722k, then I would expect that we can stream blockbuster movies directly from our Dish boxes.
That's a happy thought, but... I can't stream much of anything from Dish Online, yet they advertise that incessantly on all the Epix channels. And YES, I am ANNOYED by that ad.

I guess this would be a question for after Friday, but if it is streaming from receivers would it be done differently then how vod is. When I had dish vod just seemed to take forever

If so I think this is a great way that dish is showing how they are different from other sat/cable companies and shows

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Will be interesting to see what Dish will end up charging for this service, considering Starz turned down $300m from Netflix to continue serving their content. They're jumping into a streaming game that's already fairly developed with content prices that have escalated quickly in the last couple years.

Will be interesting to see what Dish will end up charging for this service, considering Starz turned down $300m from Netflix to continue serving their content. They're jumping into a streaming game that's already fairly developed with content prices that have escalated quickly in the last couple years.

Im interested also to see what they charge and to see how much they stream compared to netflix :)

One would hope that they could link it to your programming pack and you'd get to stream from that for free. But if you wanted Starz content, or HBO content and didn't subscribe, then you'd pay more... Essentially turning a satellite into a redundant source for TV programming, having Dish provide the service via the internet instead...

Considering that 922 owners already pay $5 more a month, I think that Dish should include the streaming service at no additional costs to 922 owners.

One would hope that they could link it to your programming pack and you'd get to stream from that for free. But if you wanted Starz content, or HBO content and didn't subscribe, then you'd pay more... Essentially turning a satellite into a redundant source for TV programming, having Dish provide the service via the internet instead...

That's the way it is right now.I accessed Starz through TV Shows/Networks and watched the Runaways yesterday.Only issue I had was it started out HD then switched to SD because even though I have the highest DSL plan I can get, AT&T Elite 6 MB down and 764 up, it can't play right off,has to have time to build up content.:(

But I have no problems with HD on Netflix.:confused:

Last thing they'll do is provide an alternative to subbing to their sat service IMO. The content providers are the ones that would provide the service you describe like CNN and HBO are doing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I hope Dish can help out with Blockbuster's disc by mail...I had a 2 disc copy of "The Count of Monte Cristo", the version that appeared on Bravo before Bravo became a network of crap, next in my que to be sent to me. Well, once again Blockbuster is claiming "A short wait" on this movie...Now really, there is that much of a demand for a foreign version of a movie with subtitles that was on TV a couple of years ago? I made sure I returned my last two BD together in the same envelope (well, that's partly cause the wife ripped one envelope apart trying to open it) and figure since Monte Cristo was next in my que and a 2 disc set, I would be sure to get it next...Wrong! You know I'm starting to see why Charlie might have bought Blockbuster...Dish catch phase is "Soon" and Blockbuster is "____ Wait"

One other thing is kind of bugging me about Blockbuster. I'm not the "paranoid" type when it comes to security on the web. I follow all the basics that we all been told about over & over, but I don't really like the fact that when Blockbuster sends you an email to review the last movie you saw, if you click on the link in the email it take you right into your account...no password needed...Now I know this is a small thing, and as the old joke, Doctor it hurts when I do this...Then don't do that!...I can just bypass the email and go "manually" to Blockbuster web site and write my review that way. But the fact that clicking on a email link takes me directly into my account, still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe I've just been listening to wife too much...

Ghpr13:)

Ghpr13-I'm equally unimpressed with disc availablity. Seems like practically every thing but OLD stuff stays SHORT/LONG/VERY LONG wait or ON ORDER for a LONG time.........:rolleyes: I'm hoping this is because of a sudden upsurge in subscribers that left Netflix and they'll increase their inventory.:confused:

Ed

Ghpr13-I'm equally unimpressed with disc availablity. Seems like practically every thing but OLD stuff stays SHORT/LONG/VERY LONG wait or ON ORDER for a LONG time.........:rolleyes: I'm hoping this is because of a sudden upsurge in subscribers that left Netflix and they'll increase their inventory.:confused:

Ed

i have had blockbuster my mail for 3 months now and the first two movies i really wanted to see have been very long wait since day 1 and they were made in the 70's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)